Even if you can, it's killing, not murder :blush:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup.

Cyclists break the law then cry foul.

Motorists break the law then cry foul.

Truckers break the law then cry foul.

Motorbikers break the law then cry foul.

Hmmmm I wonder what the common theme is.....

all have wheels :whistling:

Over taking when its not safe to do so in a car should be seen as attempted murder, when it goes wrong, murder. You have a deadly weapon under your control and you are choosing to break the law. 

Drivers need to take responsibility, they chose to drive a deadly weapon, they have more responsibility. If I have a BB gun I can shoot that thing willy nilly in my back garden, no issue. If you had a gun you have to know that pulling the trigger could kill someone.

My point, all cyclists should obey all road rules. Drivers need to take responsibility for the weapon they are driving and the "safe cycling" campaigns are not doing that at all, they are moaning at cyclists. 

I am just tired of people trying to make a link between cyclists behavior and cyclists being murdered.  

I can sense your frustration.  I think anyone that has been on the roads in South Africa would agree that there are plenty of irresponsible drivers with no regard for other road users and completely oblivious to the fact that they are behind the wheel of a deadly weapon.  I just think it is a bit of a stretch to equate an infraction of the law with the potential deadly consequences.

But I have to agree - pretty much all of the tragic cycling accidents of which I'm aware are the result of a reckless driver, not the cyclist breaking the law. 

I think what is trying to be pointed out by some is that should a cyclist skiet a red and get klapped by a car on their green it isn't really murder any more.

I can sense your frustration.  I think anyone that has been on the roads in South Africa would agree that there are plenty of irresponsible drivers with no regard for other road users and completely oblivious to the fact that they are behind the wheel of a deadly weapon.  I just think it is a bit of a stretch to equate an infraction of the law with the potential deadly consequences.

But I have to agree - pretty much all of the tragic cycling accidents of which I'm aware are the result of a reckless driver, not the cyclist breaking the law. 

Now if we could find a way to change people's mindsets while they are driving.  -_-

I think a big sign, engage brain might help.

Now if we could find a way to change people's mindsets while they are driving.  -_-

Nah, they'll be distracted by that big sign.

And that presumes that they have one to engage  :ph34r:

How many is that as there are several hundred cyclist fatalities a year in SA?

For what I have known of - the deaths at Carnival City & Lost City were cyclist errors, as was the guy on the Lido route on the R550 a couple of yrs back.  10 years ago there were 3 deaths in that area that were down to reckless driving that prompted a protest ride sorted on the Hub by IanJ and others.

I think it's a mixed bag and if you took reckless driving out you would still have a significant number down to cyclist error, as you do in Europe.

If you're a cyclist who skips a red light, then you effectively exculpate the driver if he or she drove through the intersection and could not react to you in his/her lane and effectively injure or kill you because of your actions.

True - I was a little shortsighted in my potential scenario.

All road users break the rules.

It's an attitude thing.

It's also known as entitlement.

All road user need a mind-shift.

It's not about them but more about us.

How many is that as there are several hundred cyclist fatalities a year in SA?

Fair comment.  To be honest, the ones I'm aware of would be a very small percentage.  I haven't followed it as closely as others here in terms of the general trend.  The ones I know of are primarily through my cycling groups, although I got out of road riding a few years ago as I just felt like it was no longer worth the risk.  Doesn't matter if the cyclist is in the right - pure physics means the cyclist is on the losing end in any encounter with a vehicle.

Archived