Shimano Derailleurs

hitsbenjamin

I am aware of the hierarchy of Shimano parts. I am trying to understand what the differences are between the variances within the , Deores, XTs, or XTRs.

My rear derailleur (10 speed xt) is on the verge of bombing out, that along with my rear cassette.

I am considering a replacement and would like to know the differences between the various XT rear deraillers - is it worth going to XTR?

A full list(link) of all variations would be ideal

Please help , I don't want to over spend!!

Without going into the details, here's my suggestion...

If you are a pro, weight weenie, or wannabe with cash to spend, go for the XTR.

If you are like most of the rest of us and just ride and want a derailleur that works and will last (under normal circumstances), go for the XT.

If you are on a bit of a tighter budget, SLX is also a great option.

Sorry, no technical list of the variations, so take it or leave it ;)

Now just waiting for someone to ask him if he did not want to consider upgrading to a 11speed lol

Big Tom has given some very good advice.

XT is bullet proof and if I am not mistaken its basically the older model XTR? SLX is still damn good and in fact to most of us when it comes to the rear derailleur you won't notice the difference between XT and SLX.

Personally, Stick with XT. Unless you got some spare cash(a fairly thick wad) and want to show off to your buddies.

I recently bought a new 11 speed XT system and it does not feel substantially better to the SLX on my girlfriend's bike. Unless you are a weight-weenie, i would just go with SLX, it is fine.

XT is bullet proof and if I am not mistaken its basically the older model XTR? 

Shimano generally has the trickle down effect.  New technology introduced as XTR, which then becomes the XT next, the SLX and so one.  Some of the reviews on the new M7000 SLX rate it better than the M8000 XT, at least in some of the components as it includes improvements for issues discovered with the first generation models.

I recently bought a new 11 speed XT system and it does not feel substantially better to the SLX on my girlfriend's bike. Unless you are a weight-weenie, i would just go with SLX, it is fine.

+1 I also ride XT M8000 1x11, the difference between this and SLX is to small for me to notice

I am talking of the latest generations of XT and SLX, can't comment on older versions

XT is the gold standard.  Everything else is superfluous.

That being said, the new SLX 11-speed is - by all accounts - so good that you can't tell the difference.

XT is the gold standard.  Everything else is superfluous.

That being said, the new SLX 11-speed is - by all accounts - so good that you can't tell the difference.

So basically shimano hit the nail on the head with the SLX.

Kinda like BMW with the 335i and the M3. The 335i was so brutal they had to detune it so the M3 could still be the "flagship".

Shimano's hierarchy from worst to best:

Tourney

Altus

Acera

Alivio

Deore

Deore Xt

XTR

I've left out Saint and Zee, which are downhill groups; and all road groups(obviously)

Ooh, and SLX-between Deore and XT

Pictures make life so much easier ;)

http://blog.wheelies.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Groupset-charts.jpg

Buy SLX derailer , cassette and chain 

And buy Xt shifters , with shimano its mostly weight that changes between models

Except shifters here it is really worth it to buy better 

Buy SLX derailer , cassette and chain 

And buy Xt shifters , with shimano its mostly weight that changes between models

Except shifters here it is really worth it to buy better 

So on my XT shifters I can give a "long" push and can drop 2 gears at once. On my toppies SLX shifters he doesn't have that option, Only single clicks and one down at a time. BUT it was mentioned here before that its actually just a stop inside the shifter of the SLX that can be removed. I haven't had a look at my toppies SLX yet to confirm.

So on my XT shifters I can give a "long" push and can drop 2 gears at once. On my toppies SLX shifters he doesn't have that option, Only single clicks and one down at a time. BUT it was mentioned here before that its actually just a stop inside the shifter of the SLX that can be removed. I haven't had a look at my toppies SLX yet to confirm.

Yes stuff like that , I run A Zee mech which is the free-ride version of SLX with the newest 10 speed Xt shifter and the performancce is awesome.

Don't know much about modifying the SLX shifter to the double shift.

Archived