[Event] The Fair Cape Dairies Philadelphia MTB

Annemart

Event Name: The Fair Cape Dairies Philadelphia MTB
When: 1 April 2017
Where: Philadelphia, Western Cape
Category: MTB

Come cycle in the scenic farmlands near Durbanville!

All three distances start in the quaint village of Philadelphia, heading towards the first climb on the De Hoop farm. From there the route goes into the beautiful Uitkyk valley, surrounded by vineyards. Crossing rivers and farmlands, the 39 km and 13 km routes will turn back towards Philadelphia while the brand new 76 km route will continue towards Rondebossieberg and Klipheuwel turning at Inhoek before returning via Remhoogte and Swellengift. The routes offer single track, farm roads, river crossings, some gravel roads and pedalling among vineyards, providing something for everyone.

Total elevation: 63 km - 1205m; 39 km – 667m; 13 km – 240m.

Remember to bring money with for the beer and burger combo for R50 at the finish!!

DIRECTIONS TO VENUE

From Cape Town, follow the N7 towards Malmesbury for approximately 25 km until you pass the Swartland 1-Stop Engen service station on your left. At the next intersection, turn left and then right onto the R304 to Philadelphia / Stellenbosch. After approximately 2 km, the turn-off to Philadelphia on your left. GPS co-ordinates S 33 º 40.033 º & E18 º 34866 º

NOTES

The event organisers are planning to have many stalls at the finish as wel as a 5km "colour run" through the vineyards next to the village starting at 09:00.

Children u/12 will be allowed on the 13km route and must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Remember to collect your PPA MTB bike board from the PPA office prior to the event or allow extra time to do so at the event. No helmet, no ride. No transponder, no time. PPA members will start in the seeded batches ahead of non-members

Go to Event Page

hubevents-58482-0-95107300-1489416320_thumb.jpg

hubevents-58482-0-11368500-1489416326_thumb.jpg

hubevents-58482-0-82977600-1489416331_thumb.jpg

hubevents-58482-0-09240600-1489416636_thumb.jpg

Costs and cut-off.pdf

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Think the last time I rode anything more technical than a district road was in Jan before my Tygerberg membership lapsed  :ph34r:

Think I will fall back a few groups because I'm going to be all over the place come anything remotely technical. Looking forward to the cool weather though! 

Based on last years route, it is very little technical, some small pathways and farm roads.  

You are right, I was under the impression they might throw in a bit of the singletrack on Trail Z - surrounds as the route goes past that area - but I haven't seen any notice from the club so I guess that is not going to happen

That sandy stretch of singletrack next to the Dieprivier I assume will still be on the route?

One thing I remembered was nearer to the end the field gets so spread out that I was riding totally on my own for long sections. This year going to ride with softtail so at least hoping it will be easier on the behind.

Picked up the board yesterday, and sounds like there are more participants than last year, and they have changed some of the old route too to exclude some of the sandy bits.  Also reading the flyer.. they saying there are 8 waterpoints on the 76km, 4 on the 40km, and 1 on the 13km.  {I am sure I must have read that wrong}

Damn.. .those are a lots of waterpoints

post-65102-0-82164100-1490946222_thumb.jpg

Edited by LeoKnight

I'm almost certain of​ the answer, but just want to confirm beyond doubt: I'm signed up for the 76 Km but would prefer to do the 39 Km because of time and (ahem) fitness constraints, I can just start with the 39 can't I? Will I be timed accordingly or do i need to inform them that i am doing the 39?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Picked up the board yesterday, and sounds like there are more participants than last year, and they have changed some of the old route too to exclude some of the sandy bits.  Also reading the flyer.. they saying there are 8 waterpoints on the 76km, 4 on the 40km, and 1 on the 13km.  {I am sure I must have read that wrong}

Damn.. .those are a lots of waterpoints

Yep 8 sounds a bit like overkill? Less than 10km between every waterpoint. But I guess some of the backmarkers will appreciate this!

I can just start with the 39 can't I? 

Yes you can, Racetec will pick up what group (distance) you start in and your result will be for that distance.

That looks like a nice steep hill to start with - is it single track or jeeptrack or farm road?

That looks like a nice steep hill to start with - is it single track or jeeptrack or farm road?

Best comparison that I can quickly think off is the Dorsberg jeeptrack climb on Meerendal