Cycling with your partner

I am in the opposite place. My wife loves hills and leaves me to struggle in her dust

I have to lose weight and do countless hill repeats before we do an event so as not to penalise her time

Riding my singlespeed for most of my training also helps when I swop back to my geared bike

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool. 

It only became a problem lately when family members started cycling with us, now she feels like she is keeping everyone up. 

But love and patients will hopefully keep her going. I know and made peace with the fact that I will never do a sub 4 argus. Or be any kind of race snake, so the reward for me is the time that we spend together. 

Cool. 

It only became a problem lately when family members started cycling with us, now she feels like she is keeping everyone up. 

But love and patients will hopefully keep her going. I know and made peace with the fact that I will never do a sub 4 argus. Or be any kind of race snake, so the reward for me is the time that we spend together. 

Try diamonds, she will be riding elite in no time ;)

I wonder if the tandem will equal things out. 

We tried a tandem once. Rode it around the block and my wife hated it. She says you "have no control" and you loose the "feeling of freedom" from the back seat. I thought of trying stoker myself, but they say you must put the bigger cyclist on the front. So it is separate bikes for us ... which is great, we can both enjoy it.

Perhaps they are not 'missing out on something' but just want something different to what you guys do? Just a thought ....

Hat, coat, door

I am sure the racing snakes get something out of their rides. For a start they get to pass us!

But if you are competitive and you also want to cycle with your partner, things can get stressful.

You guys are very lucky my better half Hates cycling, my cycling is my free time alone or with the closest group I can find.

You guys are very lucky my better half Hates cycling, my cycling is my free time alone or with the closest group I can find.

Not sure if your situation is better or worse than mine. The missus claims she never learned to ride a bike. She's a runner :eek:

Wait, there's an app for this! Or perhaps an app combined with yet another piece of incredibly expensive cycling kit....

http://www.ridemedia.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/1-DSC06201.jpg

Airhub.  This is practically made for riding with your partner.  Goes in your front fork and adds resistance, up to 100 watt extra.  You could add resistance until you and your wife are climbing at a similar rate, while you'd be getting a hell of a lot more exercise than you would otherwise.  All controlled with your smartphone, it has all sorts of fancy programs.  Can keep you in a specific HR zone or link with your power meter to keep you in a power zone, no matter the route you are on.

Seems like an excellent idea for extracting more pain from any ride, imagine doing all your training with +80W and then taking it off for a race.

You've mentioned she wants to be faster, so slowing yourself down for her sake is perhaps not your ideal solution.  But for those with SO's that can't or don't want to improve this is a great gadget.

Unfortunately the price is totally insane at around R20k.  So it's an unaffordable cool idea.

http://terraindynamics.com.au/airhub

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/01/airhub-cycling-resistance.html

Edit: Added Ray Maker review link

Wait, there's an app for this! Or perhaps an app combined with yet another piece of incredibly expensive cycling kit....

http://www.ridemedia.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/1-DSC06201.jpg

Airhub.  This is practically made for riding with your partner.  Goes in your front fork and adds resistance, up to 100 watt extra.  You could add resistance until you and your wife are climbing at a similar rate, while you'd be getting a hell of a lot more exercise than you would otherwise.  All controlled with your smartphone, it has all sorts of fancy programs.  Can keep you in a specific HR zone or link with your power meter to keep you in a power zone, no matter the route you are on.

Seems like an excellent idea for extracting more pain from any ride, imagine doing all your training with +80W and then taking it off for a race.

You've mentioned she wants to be faster, so slowing yourself down for her sake is perhaps not your ideal solution.  But for those with SO's that can't or don't want to improve this is a great gadget.

Unfortunately the price is totally insane at around R20k.  So it's an unaffordable cool idea.

http://terraindynamics.com.au/airhub

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/01/airhub-cycling-resistance.html

Edit: Added Ray Maker review link

At 20k (current ZAR/AUD exchange rate) it's not cheap.

At 20k (current ZAR/AUD exchange rate) it's not cheap.

Yeah.... cheaper to ride your mtbike with a 20kg backpack!

Not sure if your situation is better or worse than mine. The missus claims she never learned to ride a bike. She's a runner :eek:

I think this should be a challenge for you

Yeah.... cheaper to ride your mtbike with a 20kg backpack!

20kg backpack doesn't give you variable resistance.... unless you add and remove rocks from it! 

I prefer something that brakes your front wheel.  That way if you have a power meter on your crank or pedals you'll still be able to see how much power you're pushing even though you are slower.

I think this should be a challenge for you

Sure is. I'll start a thread to give feedback once there is any progress to report. I've been working on this for about 3 years, we've gotten from "I'll never ever learn to ride a bike" to "well maybe some day I'd like to learn..." :P

I thank Le Madonna del Ghisallo every day that my wife doesn't cycle. If she did, it would turn into a couples thing, or "together time".... one of the best things about riding for me is that it's my time, just me. I reset.

I thank Le Madonna del Ghisallo every day that my wife doesn't cycle. If she did, it would turn into a couples thing, or "together time".... one of the best things about riding for me is that it's my time, just me. I reset.

Our cycling started as together time.  He justed wanted me to get into riding so that I'd give him less hell when he disappeared for five hours while I  mowed the lawn.

Now we basically only do the Saturday club ride together. Besides that we enjoy different types of riding and ride with other people.  I'll go spin at gym and race track- he's not interested in that at all.  But he gets these 7pm wattsapps from his mate to organise a ride the next morning.  Then they go destroy each other and come home like limping beaten dogs. Thats his thing.

Im glad we can each do our own thing and we don't get offended with each other. We do have to share the cycling budget and I was the last to buy a bike so suppose it is his turn next :blush:

Archived