29er Fork SR Suntour XCR vs XCM

BSG

Hello all.

I have the 2012 hard tail Merida big nine TFS 500 29er that came out with the remote lock-out Suntour XCR fork which is a coil fork, I am looking at replacing it with the remote lock-out Suntour XCM fork (+-R2500.00) which is an air fork. Would it be advise-able to make this purchase? 

I might be mistaken, but to my knowledge,the XCR is one model up from the XCM. The XCR comes in two versions, a coil shock and an air shock. The XCM is only available as a coil shock.

It is possible that they have introduced an air version of the XCM.

To my knowledge the difference between the two is minimal, meaning an air XCM is probably better than a coil XCR.

Edited by Eugene

At the lbs in George they have the xcm which is air, whereas my xcr is coil

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

BSG I have a Fox on my commute bike - Merida XT Edition - NICE !!!

My trail/gravel bike is a Merida Big 9 40 - with a coil shock, XCM SR Suntour.  Was "okay", until I rode with the air shock ....

Actually enquired about changing to an air-shock on Saturday ....  struggling to justify these costs on an entry level bike, where the extras will cost more than what the bike is worth .... sal maar n mooi briefie vir kersvader skryf ....

There have been so many forks on the hub, but so little of them are straight steerer air fork. And yes I agree, bike is worth maybe R4500.00, but I have to agree on how much better the air fork is.

Save more and get a Reba or Revelation. You'll throw that shiny new Suntour away in under 2 years when the damper goes and you can't get a replacement.

Save more and get a Reba or Revelation. You'll throw that shiny new Suntour away in under 2 years when the damper goes and you can't get a replacement.

I'm off to the UK in July, will see what I can find there.

Hello all.

I have the 2012 hard tail Merida big nine TFS 500 29er that came out with the remote lock-out Suntour XCR fork which is a coil fork, I am looking at replacing it with the remote lock-out Suntour XCM fork (+-R2500.00) which is an air fork. Would it be advise-able to make this purchase?

I have looked everywhere and cant find a xcm air? On suntour website the xcm is lower speced than the xcr. Aren't you maybe confusing the 2

I am pretty sure that is the make and specs LBS gave me, I haven't been to town to see for myself. Thanks anyway, I think I'll rather wait till the right second hand one comes along.

I haven't really looked seriously yet, was thinking about the raidon air, but they only have 26er in stock.

Revising my post - there is no such thing as an XCM Air. There is an XCR Coil & an XCR Air, though they're both KAAAAK. 

They've changed from their old elastomer-based suspension to coil, but they have no compression and / or rebound adjustment so they're essentially a pogo stick. All they have is pre-load adjustment, which regulates the force that is required before the shock starts to move through its travel. XCM & XCR are both ***. 

And no. Don't go for the Raidon. It's better, but still not serviceable. 

Go for a reba / revelation / Fox 32 or anything second hand from those 2 providers. 

Just saying it like it is, man... I know it's not lekker, but really - buying an XCR air is like buying a Daihatsu Charade when you have the Chery QQ. 

Just saying it like it is, man... I know it's not lekker, but really - buying an XCR air is like buying a Daihatsu Charade when you have the Chery QQ. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :D  :D  :D

Revising my post - there is no such thing as an XCM Air. There is an XCR Coil & an XCR Air, though they're both KAAAAK. 

They've changed from their old elastomer-based suspension to coil, but they have no compression and / or rebound adjustment so they're essentially a pogo stick. All they have is pre-load adjustment, which regulates the force that is required before the shock starts to move through its travel. XCM & XCR are both ***. 

And no. Don't go for the Raidon. It's better, but still not serviceable. 

Go for a reba / revelation / Fox 32 or anything second hand from those 2 providers. 

I have the XZM on my Merida Big 9 - 40.

and YES, this shock is not "worth much" on trails ....

really dont want to spend money on a "better shock" .... will rather put that towards a slightly better bike WITH a FOX air shock .....  Was looking at some bikes in Hermanus today, at the shop where the "Hermanus Trails" start .... some really nice options for even the most budget concious .... Deore, FOX, 10x2, .... in Merida, Titan, Silverback at VERY reasonable prices.  En JA, they also have some 100k bikes ....

EDIT - the dual suspension options are looking very attractive for going off tar ....

Edited by ChrisF

I had the Merida 99er dual suspension, Rock Shock 32, but with the rear shock with rebound only, had to sell it, but I surely miss that bike big time. Thing is when the "much better" straight steerer forks come up for sale, normally funds is not available. At the moment I can't afford another or new bike, so I must try to upgrade my current bike.