Courier damaged goods

8_Mad

Hi guys

I recently purchased a wheel set from a fellow hubber. I employed the services of a courier company to collect wheels, wrap and package and insisted the package be marked as fragile. I recieved the parcel today and was horrified to find the condition of the wheels, it was clearly damaged in transit, looks like something heavy was loaded on top of the wheels.

I'm just wondering if anyone here experienced something similar, do I carry all the transporting risk or is there some sort of recourse I can take against the courier? It's the first time this has happened to me and just wanted some input from TheHub before confronting the courier company tomorrow.

Did you insure the package?

If not you should still be able to have some recourse but it's not guaranteed. Good luck with the fight? Hopefully the seller can assist with a picture before they are boxed up but that's not the easiest.

Unfortunately I did not insure the package. I guess I've become comfortable with always receiving goods in good order.

Luckily the seller did forward "before pics". I somehow feel they need to take some responsibility for this gross negligence. I specifically asked for the item to be shipped as fragile and insisted that nothing gets stacked on top of the package and they did the complete oppersite.

Did you insure the package?

If not you should still be able to have some recourse but it's not guaranteed. Good luck with the fight? Hopefully the seller can assist with a picture before they are boxed up but that's not the easiest.

jip ... insurance taken ?

dont think you have much of a claim unless insurance was taken out.

If the condition of the goods collected, has changed, when delivered, the courier is at fault. They have signed for and accepted responsibility.(minus the small print)

But, BUT, the proof is in the pudding.

Whether it is financially viable to fight it, is another story.

Strength! You going to need it.

@ChrisF: Unfortunately insurance was not taken out

@AllstarScott: Thanks buddy, hopefully it goes well. I agree and do not think its financially viable to fight it.

@King_Crispy: The package was marked fragile yes as requested.

The courier I use has an automatic insurance included albeit small at R1000. This may be a general rule of thumb worth finding out about.

I stand to be corrected, but if you have signed for the goods and taken responsibility then the courier can say that you received to goods in good order/condition and will not accept responsibility for damage thereafter.

If you saw the damage and refused to sign for it then you may have more of a case to fight with as then it is still in their care.

I stand to be corrected, but if you have signed for the goods and taken responsibility then the courier can say that you received to goods in good order/condition and will not accept responsibility for damage thereafter.

If you saw the damage and refused to sign for it then you may have more of a case to fight with as then it is still in their care.

correct. The pod is the point that risk and responsibility transfer to the receiver.

whenever I receive goods at the office, and it is not for me or I do not have the time to open and check a gazillion items due to the courier doing a dance of haste as he / she is parked in a "handicapped - loading - your car will be towed on the spot - or we shoot you" spot, I specifically noted on the slip that goods have not been inspected.

hope you come right OP.

The before pics might just be your saving grace.

I was not available when the package was delivered, someone else signed for it without inspecting the package. 

I chatted to the courier, first impressions are good, they sending someone out at 3pm this afternoon so lets see how that goes.

If it doesn't work out then try the small claims court (assuming within its monetary limits). Take all your evidence (before and after pics, and a copy of your fragile instruction, and a pic showing that there was no fragile written on the box). That should be sufficient - irrespective of the fine print they would be negligent if they did not follow your fragile instruction.

As an aside, a senior person/public office/director of the company may have to rock up in person to defend the case, and in many cases companies would rather settle than get that person out of the office for a morning.

always best to send wheels in proper wheel boxes.

only bubble wrap has always been a no go for me - with or without fragile sticker :mellow:

Archived