Help needed: Chain vs Cassette

KB280DT

Hi guys,

Please look at the attached photo. Seems i have a 9spd chain on an 8spd casette. Just curious if this will cause problems further down the line or if it's ok like that?post-108582-14934089600566.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

or just a 9 speed quik link on an 8 speed chain

Could be that as well [emoji848]Is there any way of telling whether that is the case?

As far as I know 8 and 9 speed are pretty much interchangeable.

/flamesuiton

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

If you really want to get technical it seems you have a Shimano Hg narrow chain so definately 9sp compatible. And then a SRAM quicklink. None of which makes any difference really as 7,8,9 speed chains from shimano is basically the same if you buy one these days as that's how their compatibility is marked. And the quicklink is perfectly fine.

Unless everything is worn...

Is the shifting good?

Yeah, shifting ain't bad at all. Reckon I should scrape some pennies together and have my bike serviced in the not too distant future and have my LBS give everything a once over

If you really want to get technical it seems you have a Shimano Hg narrow chain so definately 9sp compatible. And then a SRAM quicklink. None of which makes any difference really as 7,8,9 speed chains from shimano is basically the same if you buy one these days as that's how their compatibility is marked. And the quicklink is perfectly fine.

Unless everything is worn...

Thanks Phoenix. I'm still learning about all these technical things (things have changed a bit since I last owned a bike back in 1993 lol)

Seems there might be some wear, so I reckon a once over by my LBS might be in order (seeing as I don't have the tools nor the know how at this stage to DIY it)

Thanks Phoenix. I'm still learning about all these technical things (things have changed a bit since I last owned a bike back in 1993 lol)

Seems there might be some wear, so I reckon a once over by my LBS might be in order (seeing as I don't have the tools nor the know how at this stage to DIY it)

If you drive an Isuzu as you name suggests you should be able to master the diy quickly

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

If you drive an Isuzu as you name suggests you should be able to master the diy quickly

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

And here I thought it was the Ford guys that are DIY masters [emoji848][emoji848]

But yes, I do know how to fix or replace 99% of the stuff on the Frontier - not out of necessity, but more a case of being able to know what and how to fix something when stuff breaks on an offroad trail [emoji4]

My biggest limitation on bike DIY seems to be the tools (currently going through the tools needed thread)

And here I thought it was the Ford guys that are DIY masters [emoji848][emoji848]

You're thinking of BRAAI masters...

As far as I know 8 and 9 speed are pretty much interchangeable.

/flamesuiton

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

You also get a link for "6, 7 and 8" - SINGLE unit for all three sizes (was give one of these for the lighties bike) .... now if this was used on a 9 speed it may be a bit wide .....

My biggest limitation on bike DIY seems to be the tools (currently going through the tools needed thread)

Sounds like we are on the same journey ....  :whistling:

post-110956-0-52035600-1493446426_thumb.jpg

From the top left :

First two tools will be needed if you want to remove the rear gear cluster, just below it is a spline socket for the same job on the lighties bike.  Other option is to buy the "chain lever", and then a number of the spline sockets (As per the bikes you have)   Might be the better approach.

Third tool measures the chain length ... once these chains stretch they eat away at the sprockets .... so check and replace in time.

That weird pliers is needed to help you remove the chain link .... gaan maar SUKKEL sonder daai outjie.

Just below it, chain breaker ..... the laaities bike came with a solid chain, ie now quick link, so now I need the chain breaker to open the chain, and then a quick link to put it back on.

shock pump.

the black T-wrech - 5N.m torque wrench

the orange T-wrench - this torque wrench has a dial and you can now torque to different values.  The black one is just so much easier for 98% of the work !  Neither has all the "bits" you will need ....

those super slim spanners are for the wheel-hub-collars (normal spanners are too wide)

That blue box is a nice chain cleaner.  couple of similar options on the market.

"dry" chain lube .... goes on wet, but then goes dry.  So no more flinging off oil from the chain, and the dryer types are less prone to collect dust

Then some decent grease .... 

next I will be getting some tools to remove the bottom brackets .... with three bikes, I need three different tool sets for this ...  :wacko:  Another inverse-spline socket for the Merida, not sure what I need for the TREK ...

Or you could save a lot of bucks in the long run and invest in a tool box that comes with most of the stuff you need. Some of the sets actually have decent quality tools. But some are also crap.

Thanks ChrisF [emoji1303][emoji1303] perhaps i should start off with the very least the chain cleaner, chain lubricant and a chain checker. Then build the rest up as and when i can. DIY a chain breaker while i'm at it. Oh and the weird pliers for the chain link

Archived