Open Water Swimming

IceCreamMan

and water is cold and is shark infested....its the cold that scares me personally, no really.

They had to stop the swim this year due to the water temp being too cold. 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to get back to swimming some decent distances. Was training with a great group of master swimmers who pushed me, but had to stop swimming with them in September when I fell pregnant as I had issues with my iron and blood pressure and kept on feeling like I would pass out in the water (especially in the hot gym pool).  

Only 5 weeks to go and then it won't be long before I can start again :-)  Looking forward to getting back in the dams for open water swims as I love the freedom.  Then its just getting up the guts to get in the ocean. 

I used to swim quite a bit. Never was one for anything longer than 400m though. Then I met a mate of a mate who planned to swim from New York to London this year. Not sure if he ended up getting the financial backing to do it. http://www.newyorktolondonswim.com/swim/ 

eish, not sure he would of started as he seems not to have raised the cash for the start. very ambitious swim this and  eliminating world poverty is a pipedream I guess.

Swimming 3800 miles in cold water like that, not for me thanks.

I don't think I am hypoxic when swimming. I think it's a combination between the gentle rocking and the steady noise of my breathing. I can see the value in learning how to breath bilaterally, and learning how to regain your breath while swimming in open water, so I take it that is one set (350m in total) and a short rest is taken after each 350m? 

https://www.facebook.com/ReplayVideoAnalysis/

Jana from Replay runs open water training sessions at Hobart Dam. It's either on a Saturday or Sunday morning, and she will teach you some open water skills, plus run some drills (like how to draft, how to sight, have people swimming in tight groups, etc). Was reasonable for the session (R150 iirc). It's a bit of a drive for me, but was worth the trip.  

Thanks for this, I'll inbox her, hopefully this'll help my mental block against it.

Yep, I normally just let my breathing back to normal and wait about a minute. For me its about 3 min rest max. Also, this is not at a high intensity, this is purely a breathing drill, I've seen some guys at our club go way too hard and then it just defeats the purpose of the exercise.

i come from a seaside town and the school(only one in town)did not have a swimming pool so the sea was my pool.started with triathlons and did my first in 1987(the old radio 5 /Perm series).i have always enjoyed open water swimming as can be seen from my ppic.this was taken this year during a robben island crossing.the distance is not so much the thing that catches you out,but the elements.mother nature is a fickle mistress.i hate pool swims but if that is what it takes to experience ow swimming so be it.

hi retied. would you be willing to share your training for the crossing? I'm hoping to do it around feb next year and would appreciate any thoughts or training plans

hi retied. would you be willing to share your training for the crossing? I'm hoping to do it around feb next year and would appreciate any thoughts or training plans

but off course.firstly i am a horrible pool swimmer but I have never realy struggled in ow.i guess that comes from swimming ow as a youngster.70.3 distance wise i am always in low 30's and IM ballpark between 1;10 and 1;15.but then again i do not work too hard in the water.i was lucky to be around great open water swimmers/triathletes in PE in 1987-1991.if all else fails i resort back to what Kevin Richards always said.slow is smooth and smooth is fast.to swim robben island takes consistent swimming.once you can swim comfortable 3-4 times a week ballpark 5 km per swim you should be ok.but and this is a big but nature will always have the last say.I have swum 4 km sub 1 hour but also 48 minutes to cover less than 200m depending on conditions.drop me a dm and i will be happy discuss your endevour.it is truly a great swim to do.

How do you guys warm up pre-race? I wanted to do a warm up swim or jog, but by the time the pre-race briefing was done, and the gun went off for my wave, it would have been pointless. Any tips? 

How do you guys warm up pre-race? I wanted to do a warm up swim or jog, but by the time the pre-race briefing was done, and the gun went off for my wave, it would have been pointless. Any tips? 

On events like Ultra or trinity sports tri's you wont have time as race briefing is always just before the start.  70.3's and full Ironman the race briefing is the evening before, so prior to race start you have plenty of time... although you are not allowed a swim warm up, so has the be land based

Had a coaching session with Mike from MAD multisport.  He recons if you not competing to win a prize then save your energy for the race.  I.e use the swim as the warm up, start slow towards the back then build up speed after about a 3rd of the distance.  This is usually when you start passing the guys that went balls out from the gun.

Had a coaching session with Mike from MAD multisport.  He recons if you not competing to win a prize then save your energy for the race.  I.e use the swim as the warm up, start slow towards the back then build up speed after about a 3rd of the distance.  This is usually when you start passing the guys that went balls out from the gun.

Swimming tips from a person called Davey jones, how ironic.

Swimming tips from a person called Davey jones, how ironic.

:whistling:   where's my rum?  Oh right its in my Locker :D

Edited by Davey_Jones

this morning I did my first 4km pool swim session in many years, tired but felt great. going to now aim to do 2 pool sessions during the week of 3.5-4km and then a 2.6km open water swim over the week end. The aim is to build the weekly sessions up to 4.5-5km twice a week with a week end open water swim 

this morning I did my first 4km pool swim session in many years, tired but felt great. going to now aim to do 2 pool sessions during the week of 3.5-4km and then a 2.6km open water swim over the week end. The aim is to build the weekly sessions up to 4.5-5km twice a week with a week end open water swim 

What is your goal? At some point just swimming those distances at a comfortable pace will yield minimal results. You should look at building in some drills once you are happy with your endurance.