Open Water Swimming

IceCreamMan

hi there EMJAYZA. My goal is Robben island early next year. I have started bring in some interval sprints into the sessions so it's not just straight swimming. This mornings swim was

2000m easy

1000m easy

500 easy

500 interval sprints

Other sessions have been

2000m easy

500m (50m sprints)

500m (25m sprints

The plan is to start bringing in more interval sprints but at the moment I'm just getting a base to work from.  I've never been great on doing other types of drills. Am meeting with a trainer this week though who has done Robben island and will get some training advice from him

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have started doing longer swims these days too. Seeing as its winter and getting to the pool is a shlep I may as well go longer so I tend to now swim for at least an hour with a few 100 metre sprints in between. Tend to swim 3 to 4 kilometres per session now. Its therapeutic and I have rekindled my love of swimming recently....now just to get rid of the flu, damn.

I have started doing longer swims these days too. Seeing as its winter and getting to the pool is a shlep I may as well go longer so I tend to now swim for at least an hour with a few 100 metre sprints in between. Tend to swim 3 to 4 kilometres per session now. Its therapeutic and I have rekindled my love of swimming recently....now just to get rid of the flu, damn.

I missed 7 days of training. Started again yesterday with an easier cycle and swim. Glad to report I am a little faster in the water. Must be all the rest. But holy cow, couldn't hold 80% of my FTP on the bike for longer than 10 minutes this morning. How long does it typically take to get back to pre-sickness performance? A week to two weeks? And have muscle soreness again that I have not had in a long time. I really, really hope this is my last sickness for this year. 

Hope you heal up quickly ICM. 

Edited by EmJayZA

I missed 7 days of training. Started again yesterday with an easier cycle and swim. Glad to report I am a little faster in the water. Must be all the rest. But holy cow, couldn't hold 80% of my FTP on the bike for longer than 10 minutes this morning. How long does it typically take to get back to pre-sickness performance? A week to two weeks? And have muscle soreness again that I have not had in a long time. I really, really hope this is my last sickness for this year. 

Story of my winters, seldom get full blown flu but a bit of a cold hangs around most of the time. 

It drives me insane because you cant get any serious training done like that.

Thanks ma'am.

Really need to get rid of this bug, day number 5 now with no training, its killing me. Guess getting the flu was natures way of telling me to slow down but **** this is terrible. Hope by the weekend I can pick up where I left off. Should take no more than a day or 3 to bounce back. (I hope) I don't know too much about FTP and all that stuff.

Doing Jovk classic mid july and need time on the bike. its 2992 metres of climb so its going to hurt.

I am seriously considering investing in a set of Bragi wireless earbuds for those loooong boring pool sessions. Pity they are so expensive in SA. 

https://www.wareable.com/hearables/bragi-dash-review

I looked a few times at waterproof mp3 players and headphones, always ended up being too expensive in SA. Longer swims to get really boring if its just swimming laps, its a little better if you are doing some sort of drills though.

do a search on http://marathonswimmers.org/

there was a thread somewhere there about mp3 players for swimming and i'm sure they were cheaper. I got given a pair for my birthday a few years ago, never used it much but definitely wasn't that expensive

I am seriously considering investing in a set of Bragi wireless earbuds for those loooong boring pool sessions. Pity they are so expensive in SA. 

https://www.wareable.com/hearables/bragi-dash-review

Had one of the Speedo ones and it worked brilliantly for about 4 months. Then wouldn't turn on. Unfortunately bought it of either daily deals or one day only and they referred me to Speedo. Speedo then said, nope sorry can't help you as its a grey product :eek:  Issues asside, while it worked it really helped the longer sessions in the pool.

I test drove someones Finis mp3 for a few laps. They're the ones that attach on your goggle straps and press against your cheekbones. I was super skeptical of the technology but was absolutely blown away by how clear they were underwater. They're also pricey though but worth a look if you're keen.

I am getting a little frustrated with my swimming. I have never been a "swimmer" or had any coaching, so when I started, I had to self teach. I am comfortable in the water and enjoy swimming. There are plenty resources online to help, but I am not sure what my issue is. I am averaging 2:14 per 100m over around 400m. For long distances I settle into a 2:28 per 100m in the pool. Since Feb, I have managed to shave off around 20 seconds off my long distance pace, but that is due to increasing fitness and fixing form issues. Now I have just hit a wall and feels like no amount of drills or time in the pool will make me faster at this stage. FWIW, I have 4 pool sessions a week: long swim, tempo swim, aerobic swim and a high intensity swim. I do drills with fins, paddles and a kickboard.   

Garmin Connect says my stroke rate is 20 per minute. I take it that this is actually the stroke rate for one arm? So that would put me on the low end at 40 spm. Before I go spend a lot of money on swim masters or swim analysis, I would like to try fix this myself (want to save up for a TT bike). 

So I suspect it's my stroke rate that's causing my lack of progress. Anyone have any insights? 

Edited by EmJayZA