Open Water Swimming

IceCreamMan

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

have only once done 10km in the pool and it was broken up into 500m sets. Took me 3h40 to complete.

2h29 is impressive

I can safely say that I will never swim 10km in a pool :-) 

Rich Roll is the author of "Finding Ultra" he is training for the Otillo Swimrun World Championships in Sept.

Edit: http://otilloswimrun.com

http://www.triathlonbusiness.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/150522_OTILLO-Swimrun-Photo-Jakob-Edholm.jpg

http://otilloswimrun.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/blurbImg-Results-OTILLO2015.jpg

Edited by DA\/ID

I can safely say that I will never swim 10km in a pool :-) 

Rich Roll is the author of "Finding Ultra" he is training for the Otillo Swimrun World Championships in Sept.

I doubt I will do anything more than a 4km set in the pool. 

Had to read up on OTILLO. Just a brief overview for everyone:

ÖTILLÖ is a unique race in a unique place. It is the origin of the Swimrun movement where teams of two race together from island to island (Ö till Ö). The teams swim between the 26 islands and run over them. The total distance is 75 kilometres of which 10 km are open-water swimming and 65 km are trail-running.

I doubt I will do anything more than a 4km set in the pool. 

Had to read up on OTILLO. Just a brief overview for everyone:

one day I would like to do this, swim wont be the problem, the running and chafing will be hell. need to find a teammate and securing an entry is a problem these days. 

on bigbayevents.co.za there are two open water swim races open for entry. The one is a 1.6km next month in bigbay on womens day and the other is the end of October at Benguela cover (500m, 1km, 3km 5km)

did a nice set this morning

1500 easy
200 (50 kick 50 breaststroke 50 backstroke 50 freestyle)
200 (4x50 fast)
400 freestyle
400 (2x200 fast)
300 (100 back 100 breast 100 free)
600 = 4x (100 easy 50 fast)
500 easy
500 (5x100 fast)
500 easy

total 5.1km

Impressive. I swim around 5km to 7km a week, so that is a proper workout. After long swims (which is 2.4km max for me), I hop into the sauna. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know if this has been discussed, but what is the best swimming goggles to use for open water swimming. Will swim at cradle moon lakeside game lodge next month and then in East London end of Jan 2018. Do I buy normal training goggles or the open water goggles with bigger lenses?

I don't know if this has been discussed, but what is the best swimming goggles to use for open water swimming. Will swim at cradle moon lakeside game lodge next month and then in East London end of Jan 2018. Do I buy normal training goggles or the open water goggles with bigger lenses?

I use normal speedo pool goggles, I only bought them because I liked the reflective gold lenses... (shameless) 

I've never tried the larger open water type, although I'm also curious. Saying that my normal goggles got through Ironman no problem.