Suspension Grease

Rudi Pollard

I am in the process of acquiring everything I need to service my Rockshox RS1. I have already bought the full service kit and have SRAM butter as well as Spanjaard Red Rubber grease at home.

In the service manual they refer to PM600 military Grease which should be used. Can I use the Spanjaard grease in its place or will I mess things up?

Edited by Rudi Pollard

Just use SRAM butter all the way. There is nothing on the market that comes close.

Thanks. The spanjaard is just so much more affordable when compared to the SRAM butter

Any reason not to use Motorex 2000 grease?

Try it and see. You'll work it out in a few minutes.

Try it and see. You'll work it out in a few minutes.

I take it you've tried it...

I'll take that as a no then. 

Motorex/Manitou Prep M?

It works, but it's not nearly as good as SRAM butter / Slick Honey / Slickoleum (which are all one and the same)

I take it you've tried it...

I'll take that as a no then. 

Didn't need to. Slickoleum is way thinner and more slippery, and has a lower melting point. I'm not a tribologist, but I've done my homework on these things - use the stuff that was specifically designed for the application even if it costs a bit more.

Aside from anything else, that little R 200 tub of SRAM butter will last you a moer of a long time if you're only doing your own suspension. Like years.Spending R 400 on a half a kilo of the wrong stuff is not actually a saving.

Also used SRAM butter and Finish line shock oil when doing my 50hrs service.

You use very little so should last a few services.

Do you have the RS1 specific anchor tool to remove the LHS shaft assembly?

Difficult to access behind the seal if the assembly isn't removed

Do you have the RS1 specific anchor tool to remove the LHS shaft assembly?

Difficult to access behind the seal if the assembly isn't removed

OP, if you need an anchor tool I have a spare one which I'll let go at a reasonable price. I have 2 as a result of a long sad story involving the distributor not accepting returns after 30 days.

Don't  use red rubber grease on suspension.Rather than going into a long drawn out explanation , its a product that has been around a lot longer than most manufacturers of motorcycle and bicycle suspension, yet none of these manufacturers use it.

Don't  use red rubber grease on suspension.Rather than going into a long drawn out explanation , its a product that has been around a lot longer than most manufacturers of motorcycle and bicycle suspension, yet none of these manufacturers use it.

RS used to use it, but then they discovered Slickoleum...

RS used to use it, but then they discovered Slickoleum...

Was it the same as what we find in a tub of Castrol, Spanjaard ,Wynn's or any other supplier or a thinned out variation - if so then there's a big difference to whats supplied by the local spares shop.

OP, if you need an anchor tool I have a spare one which I'll let go at a reasonable price. I have 2 as a result of a long sad story involving the distributor not accepting returns after 30 days.

Price? send me a DM if you don't mind, keen to get one

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Droo, I have already sourced one of the hub a few months ago. I already did a minor service on it. The next one is a major service though...