Karoobaix - Hell of the South

mokganjetsi

and, unfortunately, there were only 27 people IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY cool/hipster enough to ride.

I think you misunderstand 'us' nonky. Those who've raced in Tour of Ara are not a bunch of hipster assholes. We do this because we love riding, we love bicycles and we love adventure. To (roughly) quote a friend, "These guys pre-date hipsterdom, they're true believers". Come ride with us some time and see.  

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping to do this event with my Mercer; this is what it was built for after all. Looking forward to see how it goes.

Also been wanting to meet Stan in person! He zoomed past me one day while I was walking to work - "I will never forget that bike..." I thought. Then I had my own one made :D

attachicon.gif14086226_10154442804940477_6764156889572176683_o.jpg

PS: Apologies that I've posted this pic a few times. I'll get out and get some new pics soon!

Hi Yusran. Nice Mercer - I've seen you zoom past me a bunch of times as well! 

I hope you'll join us on KAROOBAIX this year! The more Mercers the better. Dave is doing some exquisite work. I'm very proud to have his bikes in my race.

I did the Tour of ara last year on my old Hansom, best experience ever. Doing the winter version on my Du Toit this year. My old Gary Fisher will be converted for the Karoobaix. And I am just an old dude with a few old bicycles :) attachicon.gif20170529_172233_resized.jpg

Hey Eppie! That Gary Fisher is going to make a super cool KAROOBAIX bike. Glad you'll be joining us!

I'm VERY tempted to enter this which will force me to complete my Ritchey Swisscross build

Hi eddy, you might be in luck. The dates for KAROOBAIX 2017 have moved. Come race with us on 9 / 10 October. It'll be a great warmup for Berg and Bush.

Mmmmmm, very tempting.

I did the first Trans Karoo and remember cresting the Ouberg pass just as the sun was setting.

Watching the the sunset over the Tankwa  karoo while wolfing down the skaapribbetjies at the feeding point at the top is one of my favourite cycling memories. 

maybe not... No tandems or recumbents.

No need to. S&S couplers solved that.

Are unicycles allowed then ?

You would need to ask Stan as It is not covered in the rules.

the Ouberg Pass out of the Tankwa on the first stage will make a single speed rider weep...

: )

Only if they call you Crusher......

The rest of us will be walking in any event  :oops:

• 4 weeks later...

Events that cant state entry fees.... like products saying POA.... nah thanks.

on the enter page is says R5500 PER PERSON

Hi rider#35. The reason I prefer doing the event in the week is so we can bring a bit of income to these town in the week when they're not busy. Also, roads are quieter for us to get to and from the race.

Oh, and the shuttle does take us to Calvinia the day before to enjoy some skaaptjops and Karoo hospitality.

: )

makes perfect sense. Esels is the next weekend, take the whole week off in Ceres!

I believe the route takes you down here........I call this place, the tire eater

Gannaga jou lekker ding!

Less than two months to go, looking so forward to this and making a 2 week holiday out of this...

Anyone knows if we need to take lights?

edit:

PS - Can you call this a holiday when you slogging it out for two murdering days in this almost inhospitable beautiful place :ph34r:

Gannaga jou lekker ding!

Less than two months to go, looking so forward to this and making a 2 week holiday out of this...

Anyone knows if we need to take lights?

edit:

PS - Can you call this a holiday when you slogging it out for two murdering days in this almost inhospitable beautiful place :ph34r:

Big sky country.Click to see full size

post-523-0-35025000-1502434149_thumb.jpg

Big sky country.Click to see full size

Ok, i have just found my desktop background for the next few months........

Archived