KTM Scarp bikes... Why can't I find any reviews of them online?

Kyle Badger

For what it's worth, i cracked my alu KTM frame after about a year and received a replacement without any quibbles (awesome) BUT i had to wait about 6-8weeks for the replacement (sub-awesome). It seems like the parts are rather non-standard (the RD hanger is KTM bike specific and as mentioned elsewhere if not taken from a donor bike it has to be ordered in), the pitch of the thread of the rear through axle is wider than standard readily available ones so that's also a pain. Same with the shock bushings...

I am quite accident prone and went through a lot of parts. In the end i bought a cheap HT just to bridge me over the times i was waiting for parts for the KTM.

RD is a CNC'd gem and specific on my bike, but the suspension bearings are all standard Enduro sizes, and shock bushes are standard Rock Shox top-hat style, so nothing funny for me or my LBS

Edited by Eugene Brown

Based on what do you say this? 

The gent KNOWS his bikes !  

He is hardly one of the brand-fixated riders.  Watching him for some time it becomes clear his short sentences carry a lot more weight than many lengthy posts.

personally I dont know either bike, so certainly wont even attempt to provide advise.  Like to follow the threads though to learn more about the wide range of options

I have the same KTM.  Although I like it, its been a bit of a mission to get parts (cable grommets, hangers).  According to the shop I got it from they only import complete bikes, and did not carry any parts stock.  If anything is needed they need to remove it from a bike, or order the part in.  I also got it for way less than the Scalpel would have cost me, but I think the Scalpel is a nicer bike (I do love the Lefty).

For what it's worth, i cracked my alu KTM frame after about a year and received a replacement without any quibbles (awesome) BUT i had to wait about 6-8weeks for the replacement (sub-awesome). It seems like the parts are rather non-standard (the RD hanger is KTM bike specific and as mentioned elsewhere if not taken from a donor bike it has to be ordered in), the pitch of the thread of the rear through axle is wider than standard readily available ones so that's also a pain. Same with the shock bushings...

I am quite accident prone and went through a lot of parts. In the end i bought a cheap HT just to bridge me over the times i was waiting for parts for the KTM.

I don't get the fact that manufacturers do this. It's a pain in the ass and it would mean that I would never even consider buying a KTM

Kyle you may as well listen to Myles .....

Thanks for the advice Myles,

I'm also now looking at the Scott spark 900 RC or non RC. Mind giving me your opinion on this bike? Would you still rather go for the Canondale scalpel 4?

I'm also now looking at the Scott spark 900 RC or non RC. Mind giving me your opinion on this bike? Would you still rather go for the Canondale scalpel 4?

Go for the spark 940 !!!

I'd go for the spark over the spark RC unless you're racing for position on the podium. The cannondale is one of those XC bikes that has the capacity to be a lightweight trail bike as well.

But. Unless you're racing for position, I'd always suggest something with a bit more travel and a bit slacker head angle.

Bikes like:

Spark (not the RC)

Cannondale Habit

Spaz Camber

New Anthem

Silverback Synergy / Sprada

YT Jeffsy

Spaz Stumpy

Transition Smuggler

Banshee Spitfire (my personal favourite - WHAT A BIKE!!!!!)

Banshee Prime

And so on.

120-140mm travel and 67-68 deg head angle is he sweet spot for Joe average. The slacker head angle inspires confidence in the rough stuff and the extra travel gives a safety net for when things go wrong. They're also VERY good pedalers and climbers. The limitation will be YOU, not the bike. And when you point them down..... Oooooooh boy. Mega fun.

Lastly - go for something that doesn't have proprietary parts. The spaz is the one exception to this as the only proprietary thing on there is the shock (rear suspension) mounting point and there are loads of shock options for it.

The KTM is cheap because they're trying to get rid of it. There are no spares for it locally. And it's not like Spaz / Giant / Transition "clearance sales" as theyre just clearing current year stock for next year's models.

In short. What do you ride (terrain / race / event) and do you do it for enjoyment or position. If position (and this means top 10 in your division) - then Scott RC or cannondale scalpel SI will be perfect. If for enjoyment of the trails - one of the others suggested above and pretty much ANY current year bike in the 120-140mm bracket will be bloody awesome for you.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

The gent KNOWS his bikes !

He is hardly one of the brand-fixated riders. Watching him for some time it becomes clear his short sentences carry a lot more weight than many lengthy posts.

Thanks dude. Lately amongst my riding mates I've been dubbed "Moogle". Dunno whether to be flattered or terrified.

????

I'd go for the spark over the spark RC unless you're racing for position on the podium. The cannondale is one of those XC bikes that has the capacity to be a lightweight trail bike as well.

But. Unless you're racing for position, I'd always suggest something with a bit more travel and a bit slacker head angle.

Bikes like:

Spark (not the RC)

Cannondale Habit

Spaz Camber

New Anthem

Silverback Synergy / Sprada

YT Jeffsy

Spaz Stumpy

Transition Smuggler

Banshee Spitfire (my personal favourite - WHAT A BIKE!!!!!)

Banshee Prime

And so on.

120-140mm travel and 67-68 deg head angle is he sweet spot for Joe average. The slacker head angle inspires confidence in the rough stuff and the extra travel gives a safety net for when things go wrong. They're also VERY good pedalers and climbers. The limitation will be YOU, not the bike. And when you point them down..... Oooooooh boy. Mega fun.

Lastly - go for something that doesn't have proprietary parts. The spaz is the one exception to this as the only proprietary thing on there is the shock (rear suspension) mounting point and there are loads of shock options for it.

The KTM is cheap because they're trying to get rid of it. There are no spares for it locally. And it's not like Spaz / Giant / Transition "clearance sales" as theyre just clearing current year stock for next year's models.

In short. What do you ride (terrain / race / event) and do you do it for enjoyment or position. If position (and this means top 10 in your division) - then Scott RC or cannondale scalpel SI will be perfect. If for enjoyment of the trails - one of the others suggested above and pretty much ANY current year bike in the 120-140mm bracket will be bloody awesome for you.

The Silverback Synergy looks Naas  :thumbup:

• 1 year later...

It does. It's also got a vertical shock so it's /s/ like, the best in the world, ever, maaaaaan!! /s/

Hi there I bought the KTM 293 Scarp 2 months ago from Cycle Lab and is riding like a pro and it's not me but the bike!! Had a Rocky Mountain before and I love the KTM. The same I expected from he KTM 1090.  This bike is really in the expert level and there is lot out there in a couple different colors.I have done some searches on the web and Chris Willemse @ www.cwcycles.co.za  from Cape Town do have a lot of spares. They are mainly Shimano gearing. But Shimano themselves will  supply your spares. The races I have done with it was excellent with the bike, no problem.

17 months later ?? BUT since im also a KTM rider, both on Mountain bike and adventure bike I thought we may as well give this old thread a bit a bump.. bumpity bump

• 4 years later...
58 minutes ago, Marco187 said:

Lets bumo this up ahain

Anyone selling a KTM Scarp? 

Cyclenlab had them'n special recently.