Im glad i found this thread as i was going to ask some of the already answered questions . I bought my MTB 2 months ago and have only been riding on the road /some grass and sand pavements to get used to the sensation of off road riding . I started off at 122 kg doing only 10 km a day at least 5 times a week . I kept my food intake to a minimum and started losing slowly . Im now up to 25 km per day 6 times a week but still have not ventured proper off road . ( Ill do that when i hit the 100 kg mark with my old cycling buddies who are all MT bikers now due to roads being to dangerous ) . I changed my food intake very simply by cutting out all white foods ,rice ,potatoes , bread , sugar , salt and any form of snack , crisps , sweets or any thing wrapped bought  from  a shop . I weighed in yesterday after my ride at 116 kg , a loss of 6 kg in two months . I am now doing a 30 minute session in my gym at home ( Trojan Meridian offers everything ) and then i spin down on a spinning bike for about 15 minutes doing  110 cadence with no resistance . I set my goal on being 100 kg by end of December and riding a MTB ride ( not race ) in January 2018 . 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Consider doing a couple of MTB fun-rides.

Just the change of scenery might help you to stay motivated and going.

Most of these events have a 15 to 25km route.  You will see a couple of us on the road to recovery in this batch ...  :whistling:   Take your camera along, take time to smell the roses ....

hey, we are past a podium finish, might as well ENJOY THE RIDE while regaining your health  :thumbup:

So, after a bit of a hiatus, and FirstV8 reviving this thread again, I suppose I should report back on my pledge I made in the 1st post.

I started training on the 13th of June, only TEN days late!!! - In my defence, the dad's (pa and skoonpa) had birthdays out of town.

I began my training touching 124kg. I am now at 116.9 as of this am.

I average between 3 - 4 hours at the gym doing endurance and steady state rides for the first 7 weeks, and now I have upped the intensity to 3 tempo sessions on the virtual spinning sessions. I also have a long ride on Saturdays between 2h30m and 4h00 on varying terrain.

I use todaysplan.com and have a UCI registered coaching buddy "training" me. My chronic training fitness score has leaped from 19.89 to around 38.4 (once I upload the training session of this morning of 1h:22m at around 80% RPE)

As proof of my increased conditioning and strength, I rode up Helshoogte on Saturday and knocked 2 minutes of my previous best time, and this included some jumps out the saddle, and at a steady cadence of around 90 the whole way (and no, I skipped granny gear!). My HR monitor went flat just before the hill, but I felt great at the top, and waited almost 6 minutes for my riding buddy to catch up. When I started this thread, I could not keep up with him!!!

I truthfully cannot remember my last beer, and will likely have one (just one, I promise, your honour) to go with the chicken braai for dinner. I have also not exactly made a clean break with chocolate and the odd baked delicacy, but still I have managed to kind of sort of stay away from "bad food".

I haven't gone to see a dietitian yet.

There, I have blurted it all out, and feel so much better. Please keep passing sentence light...

Keep it up RS i need a forum buddy to compare notes with . We seem to be about the same in weight and ride ability . One thing in my favour is i dont drink alcohol at all . Im also trying to stay away from fizzy drinks ( Coke Zero ) is what i enjoy when its hot . Dont waste money on a dietitian they only tell  you what you are already doing . Good luck . 

Well done on the progress! Keep it up and remember, you still have to live as well...

Oh, and I love reading your posts, they are expertly composed with just a sprinkle of humor added.  

RS well done !!

The recent spate of cold weather got to me .... Breakfast, lunch and supper was spot on.  But too many snacks inbetween .... "right" snacks, good food, but too much is just that "too much" ... already nipped it in the butt, and dropped most of it again.  SO easy to pick up weight again ....

RS well done !!

The recent spate of cold weather got to me .... Breakfast, lunch and supper was spot on.  But too many snacks inbetween .... "right" snacks, good food, but too much is just that "too much" ... already nipped it in the butt, and dropped most of it again.  SO easy to pick up weight again ....

Thanks ChrisF,

I must admit that I have been somewhat disciplined, especially since my lovely wifey makes me lunch every day for work. At present it consists of an apple, a clementine, sometimes a 'nana, and a tuna, feta, avo, tomato and lettuce salad. for drinks I have water and the odd Italian blend Americano sans milk and 2 (I knowww, I knoowww) sugars... 

Keep it up RS i need a forum buddy to compare notes with . We seem to be about the same in weight and ride ability . One thing in my favour is i dont drink alcohol at all . Im also trying to stay away from fizzy drinks ( Coke Zero ) is what i enjoy when its hot . Dont waste money on a dietitian they only tell  you what you are already doing . Good luck . 

not really ....

For many years I had doubts about this profession .... even visited them once, glanced at the file, thought it looks familiar - "ek doen dit mos in elk geval.."

few years later I was diagnosed with diabetes and had to visit them again.  This time I actually listened carefully.  I turned the tables, from what is bad, to asking what is good for me .... whole new way of looking at food !!  We now eat a lot of food which we did not eat before, and actually have a wider range of options than before.  Maybe some giant mushrooms with feta and spinach tonight ...

I can now stand at a buffet and dish up a full plate of food - but choosing the correct foods I can actually have a healthy meal.

I can walk into a Deli with friends and have a Bran or English muffin.

Eating healthy is NOT a "pain".  You CAN eat healthy and have a lekka time with friends ...

A good dietitian is a GOOD investment !!  And actually cheap, AND the medical aid pays (okay okay, from my savings account, so it is still my own money ... still well worth it.)

not really ....

For many years I had doubts about this profession .... even visited them once, glanced at the file, thought it looks familiar - "ek doen dit mos in elk geval.."

few years later I was diagnosed with diabetes and had to visit them again.  This time I actually listened carefully.  I turned the tables, from what is bad, to asking what is good for me .... whole new way of looking at food !!  We now eat a lot of food which we did not eat before, and actually have a wider range of options than before.  Maybe some giant mushrooms with feta and spinach tonight ...

I can now stand at a buffet and dish up a full plate of food - but choosing the correct foods I can actually have a healthy meal.

I can walk into a Deli with friends and have a Bran or English muffin.

Eating healthy is NOT a "pain".  You CAN eat healthy and have a lekka time with friends ...

A good dietitian is a GOOD investment !!  And actually cheap, AND the medical aid pays (okay okay, from my savings account, so it is still my own money ... still well worth it.)

I know they serve a good purpose but i have always been able to choose the right foods  . My wife is a diabetic and had to make use of a dietitian to help her on the right path .

• 2 weeks later...

I now weigh myself on a Saturday morning before going training . I do this because weekends i tend to cheat a bit on food intake and often venture to the cream doughnut counter at P&P and also have about 4 Becks Beers ( non alcoholic watching rugby ) . My wife is also good baker and loves making evening surprises banana loaf , pine apple tart and so on . This morning i was 114.2 KG so a lose of 1.8kg in a week . The training especially spinning on the road paid off .  :clap:

So, after a bit of a hiatus, and FirstV8 reviving this thread again, I suppose I should report back on my pledge I made in the 1st post.

I started training on the 13th of June, only TEN days late!!! - In my defence, the dad's (pa and skoonpa) had birthdays out of town.

I began my training touching 124kg. I am now at 116.9 as of this am.

I average between 3 - 4 hours at the gym doing endurance and steady state rides for the first 7 weeks, and now I have upped the intensity to 3 tempo sessions on the virtual spinning sessions. I also have a long ride on Saturdays between 2h30m and 4h00 on varying terrain.

I use todaysplan.com and have a UCI registered coaching buddy "training" me. My chronic training fitness score has leaped from 19.89 to around 38.4 (once I upload the training session of this morning of 1h:22m at around 80% RPE)

As proof of my increased conditioning and strength, I rode up Helshoogte on Saturday and knocked 2 minutes of my previous best time, and this included some jumps out the saddle, and at a steady cadence of around 90 the whole way (and no, I skipped granny gear!). My HR monitor went flat just before the hill, but I felt great at the top, and waited almost 6 minutes for my riding buddy to catch up. When I started this thread, I could not keep up with him!!!

I truthfully cannot remember my last beer, and will likely have one (just one, I promise, your honour) to go with the chicken braai for dinner. I have also not exactly made a clean break with chocolate and the odd baked delicacy, but still I have managed to kind of sort of stay away from "bad food".

I haven't gone to see a dietitian yet.

There, I have blurted it all out, and feel so much better. Please keep passing sentence light...

Well done

Keep it up ...

I won't offer my opinion as I have never had to loose more than a few kg usually after my annual holiday and have never weighed more than 85 kg (1.86m tall) which was back in 1985.

One tip: weigh yourself every morning 1st thing after having a pee, that way you know straight away if you need to burn more calories or eat more calories during the day.

I skipped on riding (of any sorts) on the weekend due to familial responsibility. And just to add insult to injury I gorged myself on Bunny Chow at root 44 yesterday. OH MY HAT, that was da bomb!!!

This morning I avoided the scale, but did put in a tempo spin for 80 minutes at the gym at around 80% RPE. So, perhaps I might just pull off this lazy weekend. I am aiming at doing a 90km round trip on Saturday which will include a lap around Jonkershoek at the midway stage, just to fine tune the climbing muscles after a good dose of fatigue has set in.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is slow but consistent . This morning i weighed in at 113.5 kg . I now train a min of 20km per day 6 times a week doing a Saturday and Sunday 30 km circuit around OR Tambo . This mornings time was 1hr 23min . giving me an average of 21.3kph . Twenty five years ago i did that same circuit twice in more or less the same time . HAHA . i would be quite happy if i got around in 60min but that is going to take a few more months and  shedding more weight . 

This is the complete opposite of your challenges, but I recently discovered I have a mild allergy to gluten. I medicated with anti-histamine to manage it, but it never really went away.

I have been unable to drop weight from 68 and keep it down, I would drop some bf and get super lean before a race but afterwards I shoot back up.

After finding suitable replacements for gluten, I have managed to stabilize at 63Kg and 11% bf for the last month.

I am super happy as I haven't lost power or conditioning from the weight loss, but I am super happy to be at this weight for the upcoming hilly races.

So for the last few weeks, I have been see-sawing between 116.6 kg and 117.6 kg, and it seems to want to stay there. Spinning this morning was a major struggle, as I properly bonked about 10 minutes in. I have been doing my spinning sessions in a fasted state by training first thing in the morning with only a bottle of water. It served me well, until this morning.

The winter gym sessions on the spin bikes have been a major boost, but I am starting to get over it now. I am thinking of switching my training to my actual bike now, and use the gym for weights and circuit training. 

Archived