So FirstV8, did you make your target? 

I have started training at the gym again after some time off over December. I gained around 3 kg over this time, but I am focused on putting in a big effort to drop (and keep it off) around 25kg by June. I have also decided that a gym is more than just a spinning-studio, and have begun doing circuits and weights as well...DOMS --> my new shadow!

As far as riding has been, took a couple tumbles on single track the last few rides, and now I am just taking it easy. I blame the Hoogies Skills Park for making me over-confident on trails now. I take chances where I should not, and have ended up seeing my arse once or twice because of it.

No i was 1kg short of my target of 100kg  for end Dec and have moved it forward to achieve 100kg by end Jan .  Im currently 100.6kg 

I also had a couple of spills in Dec and in Jan but not on single track mainly on small  short climbs when i approached in the wrong gear and did not have the momentum . Im training more than 200km per week now with reduced food intake so my goal of 90kg for middle of year should be on . 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No i was 1kg short of my target of 100kg  for end Dec and have moved it forward to achieve 100kg by end Jan .  Im currently 100.6kg 

I also had a couple of spills in Dec and in Jan but not on single track mainly on small  short climbs when i approached in the wrong gear and did not have the momentum . Im training more than 200km per week now with reduced food intake so my goal of 90kg for middle of year should be on . 

That's flippin good mileage, dude. How many hours in the saddle per week?

Great ambition. I did that about 5 years ago, losing 22kg between 1 Jan and mid April. Only problem was that I lost so much muscle in the process, that I was suddenly weaker than I can ever remember being.

Do you know any ways to mitigate the muscle loss when losing so much weight? It would be great to aspire to do something similar

Thanks Wahoofish

As far as muscle loss, this is my big concern as well. I started circuit and weight training as a way to build muscle whilst building a mix of Long Steady Distance and HIIT training sessions on the spin bike at the gym at least 4 times a week, apart from weekends on the trails. Hopefully this should suffice.

But in saying that, I am putting stock on Myles comment about protein intake as well. Just which protein is the question for me. I am toying with the idea of peanut butter (I am a bit of an addict to be honest), but any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks Wahoofish

As far as muscle loss, this is my big concern as well. I started circuit and weight training as a way to build muscle whilst building a mix of Long Steady Distance and HIIT training sessions on the spin bike at the gym at least 4 times a week, apart from weekends on the trails. Hopefully this should suffice.

But in saying that, I am putting stock on Myles comment about protein intake as well. Just which protein is the question for me. I am toying with the idea of peanut butter (I am a bit of an addict to be honest), but any suggestions are welcome.

If you can keep your protein intake up (around 1k/kg body weight/day) it should mitigate significant muscle loss.

That's flippin good mileage, dude. How many hours in the saddle per week?

Between 8 and 9 hrs . . I average 26kph on road and 20kph off road . .Thanks for the compliment . As a vet from age 33 to 45 i did 600km plus per week including 5 km in the pool . 

If you can keep your protein intake up (around 1k/kg body weight/day) it should mitigate significant muscle loss.

Thanks for your input, Pulse. Just one thing...

1k / Kg, or 1g / Kg ?

That's a huge difference. 117 Kg in my case...