removal of pedals by spark erosion

Technical tap comes to mind.

However, dont you have facility to use a spanner between the pedal and crank arm?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't need a blow torch. I have used a heat gun before. Gently warm up the crank, assuming it's Al and ensure you are removing the axle in the correct direction to undo it.

Prior to heating it I would have soaked the part in penetrating oil. I would use a breaker bar with the correct socket rather than an Allan key with a pipe on it. The reason is that with the warmed crank in a padded vice, as you put pressure on the breaker bar you can firmly tap the head of the breaker bar so as to shock the threads.

When you put your new pedals in please use copper slip, it is an anti sieze compound that will prevent just this issue

I wouldn't use a blow-torch...  The aluminium cranks are heat treated, hence you are bound to mess up the material properties if you apply loads of heat.

As they all said, get the crank arm in a vice and use a long lever.  LH pedal has a LH thread, so it goes wrong way round.  RH pedal has a normal RH thread, so that one turns the same direction as a bathroom tap

Oh, I'm sorry you disagree with my opinion.

If it would seem that splitting an atom would be an easier task than getting some busted pedals off a crankset, then I'd cut my losses and bin the whole piece.

boromir-amp-039-s-reaction-to-mariah-car

has anybody had any experience of removing pedals by spark erosion - pedals need to be replaced urgently

Any news yet?

Did you get the pedals off?

• 1 month later...

so the latest in the pedal saga

took a week off from training and vowed to replace pedals. invested in Rost Off from Wurth and applied. event poured boiling water over the crank and then applied. took the removed pedals to a mate with a vice. left one wouldnt budge. while we were boiling water we tackled the RH - we 'tapped' the allen key with a rubber mallet and voila, it was loose.

the LH pedal is vas. not event my LBS was able to loosen it. so they suggested blow torch or spark eroder. i have been offered a heat gun and blow torch. imho if boiling water wouldn't 'crack' the seal would a heat gun do the trick. i'm leaning to stripping the pedal and then blow torch the spindle.

Archived