[Event] Stellenbosch Mountain Bike Challenge

Dirtopia MTB Events

Is most of the rest of the route the same though?

Not sure, I only know the bit on our farm. I'll be riding the 75KM.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now imagine a noob on an e-bike easily passing you on the climbs and then holding you up on the singletrack? Or slower riders slipping one on flat sections to catch you again after you passed them. Can think of any number of scenarios where people on ebikes can inadvertently interfere with normal riders in a race.

Probably not enough of them yet to really cause problems but I can see the potential problems coming a mile away

I guess we'll see on Sunday, my mate is skilled from dirt bike riding so descents are never an issue. Bear in mind that for a noob to climb a technical climb at speed on an ebike they need some sort of base skill so I can only see this being a problem on open climbs. Hopefully there won't be many of those.

I also very much doubt there will be ebikes in the racing groups and if there are, the riders will probably be more skilled than average.

I guess we'll see on Sunday, my mate is skilled from dirt bike riding so descents are never an issue. Bear in mind that for a noob to climb a technical climb at speed on an ebike they need some sort of base skill so I can only see this being a problem on open climbs. Hopefully there won't be many of those.

I also very much doubt there will be ebikes in the racing groups and if there are, the riders will probably be more skilled than average.

Not specifically referring to your mate  ^_^ Even on this weekend it should probably be fine but I do think it will become an issue as more and more e-bikes come to the races, really not a fan of the idea of mixing the 2 in events. Lets see how it pans out

My view, where you have some one skilled on a e-bike that will probably enjoy the race alot, and won't cause to much trouble for those around them (and in any case need a sense of humour for the abuse or chirps that they might be receiving), think it is more where you have someone that is a noob now on a bike which places them between other riders that are quiet a bit more skilled than them, putting pressure on them to either take chances or increase the frustration levels around them.  But we can go back and forth we all just speculating how it will pan out.

Not specifically referring to your mate  ^_^ Even on this weekend it should probably be fine but I do think it will become an issue as more and more e-bikes come to the races, really not a fan of the idea of mixing the 2 in events. Lets see how it pans out

snap.. seems we got the same view & phrase

Its impossible for me to now collect my race number tomorrow, Friday or Saturday (work till 5pm down the West Coast and have an orienteering event Saturday at iKwhaTtu at 11 )... If anyone who lives in Melkbos/Blouberg/Durbanville is getting their number and can maybe collect on my behalf- please DM me. I can then collect Saturday after my orienteering event.

The climb after you go under the railway on the 50km will be different from last year. We are opening up land to plant a 100 hectare block of Chardonay, the new trail laid out my Meurant is great. Have fun!

Hi Rouxenator

Some advice please. I'm doing the 75km for the first time. I've done the 60km three times. How does the extra 15kms on the 75km route compare in difficulty to the 60km? I'm a little nervous. 

Cheers

Hi Rouxenator

Some advice please. I'm doing the 75km for the first time. I've done the 60km three times. How does the extra 15kms on the 75km route compare in difficulty to the 60km? I'm a little nervous. 

Cheers

Same boat.

A couple of 60's, and first 75. Can't be that bad... Just an extra hour of doing the same thing! :)

Same boat.

A couple of 60's, and first 75. Can't be that bad... Just an extra hour of doing the same thing! :)

I'll be happy if it's much of the same.

Hi Rouxenator

Cheers

Same boat.

I'll be happy if it's much of the same.

Never done the 75 km, done a few 60's to date.

Logic says to me that even if the distance is not that much longer, and the technicality can't be much more that on the 60, the pace that these guys ride at, will have an effect on you if you are not that fit or strong, and you try and stick with them. Then that extra 15km will feel like 50.

Haven't done a 60 before but the extra bit is nothing serious, a bit of technical climbing and rocky singletrack, but no drop-offs or steep switchbacks enduro kind of thing. Nothing you wouldn't find in any of the blue routes of the local trails.

Haven't done a 60 before but the extra bit is nothing serious, a bit of technical climbing and rocky singletrack, but no drop-offs or steep switchbacks enduro kind of thing. Nothing you wouldn't find in any of the blue routes of the local trails.

Thanks.

If you look at the numbers you are facing 370m more climbing on the 75km - but that is not the whole story. I have attached a map showing the extra bit as well as the profile thereof.

First thing is the timing of all this, when you split from the 60km you will no doubt already be a bit tired. Now you have to climb up to the koppie next to Warwick and then drop all the way down to Warwick and the foot of Klapmuts koppie. So the extra bit comes at a rather tough time in the race.

Second, and biggest thing - literally - is Klapmuts koppie. Remember this is Meurant's home turf and even when you ride it on a set of fresh legs it is rather demanding. Do not loose focus on the descend, if you fall you will get hurt and it might be the end of your ride.

Third thing is merging back with the 60km. Thankfully due to the 50km starting between the 75km and the 60km this should result in merging in with fast 60km riders. If however you are like me and not a racing snake you might end up with slower 60km riders. 

I would suggest taking it easy until after you merge back with the 60km riders and then get your race on with whatever you still have left in your legs. Keep in mind there are two demanding climbs towards the end, up across from the Welgevonden traffic light and the last on up to Pappagaaiberg. If you did the 42km or 60km before you will be aware of these. 

Don't forget to have fun, the 75km is an awesome ride - it is tough but very rewarding. 

Strava 75K : https://www.strava.com/activities/659535618
Strava 60K : https://www.strava.com/activities/359376142

post-38519-0-43944100-1501153371_thumb.gif

post-38519-0-99487200-1501153413_thumb.gif

Edited by Rouxenator

If you look at the numbers you are facing 370m more climbing on the 75km - but that is not the whole story. I have attached a map showing the extra bit as well as the profile thereof.

First thing is the timing of all this, when you split from the 60km you will no doubt already be a bit tired. Now you have to climb up to the koppie next to Warwick and then drop all the way down to Warwick and the foot of Klapmuts koppie. So the extra bit comes at a rather tough time in the race.

Second, and biggest thing - literally - is Klapmuts koppie. Remember this is Meurant's home turf and even when you ride it on a set of fresh legs it is rather demanding. Do not loose focus on the descend, if you fall you will get hurt and it might be the end of your ride.

Third thing is merging back with the 60km. Thankfully due to the 50km starting between the 75km and the 60km this should result in merging in with fast 60km riders. If however you are like me and not a racing snake you might end up with slower 60km riders. 

I would suggest taking it easy until after you merge back with the 60km riders and then get your race on with whatever you still have left in your legs. Keep in mind there are two demanding climbs towards the end, up across from the Welgevonden traffic light and the last on up to Pappagaaiberg. If you did the 42km or 60km before you will be aware of these. 

Don't forget to have fun, the 75km is an awesome ride - it is tough but very rewarding. 

Strava 75K : https://www.strava.com/activities/659535618

Strava 60K : https://www.strava.com/activities/359376142

attachicon.gifextra 15k.gif

attachicon.gifextra 15k elevation.gif

Thank you. Appreciate the reply.