Advice needed on new wheelset for road bike

mtgoat

Morning Hubbers,

I have a budget of R3500.00 and i am looking to buy a new wheelset for my bike. Would a new set of American Classics be the way to go? or should i look for something pre-owned?

Edited by mtgoat

If you can get a new set for that price I would go for it. Alternatively look for a secondhand set set of Mavic Kysirium Elites or some AC's.

Edited by Cippo

My Mavic Ksyriums will be for sale in the next few days.

PM me if you are keen.

If you can get a new set for that price I would go for it. Alternatively look for a secondhand set set of Mavic Kysirium Elites or some AC's.

Thanks Cippo. CWC seems to have Victory 30's on special at his price every so often

What would be reasonable milage be for a set of road wheels?  Would it be advisable to buy wheels second hand?

Reason why I am asking is if you look at the cost of replacing spokes and maintaining wheels (not talking of standard Stainless Steel spokes) then I just wonder if it is economically viable to buy used wheels.

I wouldn't bother buying 2nd hand wheels - you don't know the history of the hubs or the rims (which do wear) and rebuilding wheels is often as expensive as a new set (unless they're top end).

Parts aren't that expensive, but it's time consuming. I was quoted R4500 to rebuild my Stans ZTR Crests (using old hubs). Got a brand new set for R6500. Those AC Victories at the CWC special price are the way to go in my opinion. Light enough and tubeless ready. 

For your budget I would go for Mavic Aksium.  In my opinion the spokes are better than those on the Victory 30.  

Just very heavy. 

Just very heavy. 

Light, Cheap, Durable.

Pick any two.

For his budget he has to chose between heavy wheels or durable ones. I too would err on the side of strength.

I wouldn't bother buying 2nd hand wheels - you don't know the history of the hubs or the rims (which do wear) and rebuilding wheels is often as expensive as a new set (unless they're top end).

Parts aren't that expensive, but it's time consuming. I was quoted R4500 to rebuild my Stans ZTR Crests (using old hubs). Got a brand new set for R6500. Those AC Victories at the CWC special price are the way to go in my opinion. Light enough and tubeless ready. 

This is my concern, so will look at the options available. I am leaning towards the AC'S

Those Mavic Aksium spokes suffer from serious corrosion

Some of the Ksyriums (like the rear wheel on one of my sets) have the same problem.  I think they went through a bad patch.

What I don't like about the my Ksyriums (and I imagine it's the same on the Aksiums) is:

• The freewheel with no inner bearings.  My freewheel is a bit looser than I'd like, and I've had the most deafening squeal come from the freewheel a few times.
  • The rear spokes touch where they overlap, and after a year or so they wear a bit of a notch into each other and start to click and creak.

I have some Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels that have neither of these problems.  The Racing 5 is similar, and in your price range:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/fulcrum-racing-5-lg-road-wheelset-2017/rp-prod126868