UCI rules regarding riding with kids.

RyanD

Dont dis old eddy, he is still dealing with comprehension skills as well, still under the impression the op is racing 12 year olds.

Parenting advise on the hub..... go sit down eddy, you need a break.

What a knob of a comment, taking a guy on about his parenting style based on one comment. Not nice.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that complicates matters as the rules for U10 says a adult needs to be present, the ops kid is 12 though, so can legitimately ride 30k race.

I stand corrected 

BUT U10 quite clearly says accompanied by Adult

Morning all.

Please help with a situation that has arisen. I am a competitive cyclist but I have taken this season to race with my 12 year old on the local 25k courses. One has to learn to race and my lad is keen to have a good go.

We ride in the Zululand area and in some remote places at times. At the last race we attended we started in A batch and had a good race. I don't touch him, push him up hills, in short I provide no physical assistance. If his chain breaks I will fix it for him though.

When we finished,the race overseer informed me that I have to ride with a 5 minute gap between me, and my child competing in a race caregory. I told her I provide no assistance to him which the lady said it is in the rules and it's because I can add a mental advantage, I do agree on the mental advantage of being continually coached during a race, but watch any grand tour and all the riders have earpieces. What's the difference.

My primary concern is that he goes off course and gets lost. This happens to adults at every event we attend. At my sons pace he is covering about 1.2 km in 5 mins. That's way to to dangerous as once he is off course he is lost.

I have spoken to other parents involved and they agree with me that it's not safe to have the kids ride on their own.

I have read the UCI rules on MTB and can see nothing referring to a 5 minute gap. I would appreciate any info anyone may have regarding this issue. I am trying to encourage a young rider, for him to win his race and then have his trophy taken away will do the opposite.

Thanks

Ryan.

1. Teach him to fix his own chain (and how to change gear properly). 

2. Teach him to navigate.

...both skills will be useful

Oh, and the rules apply to all entrants, whether you like them or not.

Edited by johannrissik

All the info isn't 100% clear so I'm assuming it is one of the following two scenarios:

1:  This is a kids race i.e U13/ U15 etc.  If this is the case then no adult should be allowed to ride - certainly not in the A group.  Perhaps with inexperienced kids, parents could tag along - but then they start at the back of the race.  As for the getting lost aspect, the onus is on the race organizers to have sufficient marking and marshals relevant to the age group.

2:  This is an open category race:  If this is the case, then why can't you ride together? But if there is a specific rule regarding this then just ride a good distance behind but still in sight.  Besides,  I doubt the 12 year old is dropping the pack, so it is very unlikely they would be alone for any great part of the race.  In the more likely event of being dropped by the A batchers and then being isolated - simply start further back down the field.  

Well that complicates matters as the rules for U10 says a adult needs to be present, the ops kid is 12 though, so can legitimately ride 30k race.

But not with daddy

Uum, thanks for getting back on topic after your helpful instructions on getting a 12 year old to be a mechanic; the op clearly asked what rule is it they (and apparently you) are refering too.

1. Teach him to fix his own chain (and how to change gear properly). 

2. Teach him to navigate.

...both skills will be useful

Oh, and the rules apply to all entrants, whether you like them or not.

Its a 30 k race for anyone, age limits are set at minimum. A 70 year old can enter it if they want.

But not with daddy

Its a 30 k race for anyone, age limits are set at minimum. A 70 year old can enter it if they want.

But there are clear categories

Uum, thanks for getting back on topic after your helpful instructions on getting a 12 year old to be a mechanic; the op clearly asked what rule is it they (and apparently you) are refering too.

The ability to fix a chain doth not a mechanic make. 

I don't ride in kid's races, so I honestly couldn't give a toss about the rule. I just happen to think that it's a good idea to keep adults out of kiddies races. No?

No, its not categories. It is age limits set at minimum; otherwise there will not be a single rider above 18 riding in any of the distances except if they got invited to ride the 75k.

But there are clear categories

I don't ride in kid's races, so I honestly couldn't give a toss about the rule. I just happen to think that it's a good idea to keep adults out of kiddies races. No?

Yes

Sure, trust you have kids as well.

No, its not categories. It is age limits set at minimum; otherwise there will not be a single rider above 18 riding in any of the distances except if they got invited to ride the 75k.

Sorry but I fail to understand what you are saying.If they want to race they have to compete in their category

pretty simple, his kid is allowed to ride the 30k in Stellenbosch for example; and so is he. Ie; nothing prevents him from riding right next to his kid.

Sorry but I fail to understand what you are saying.If they want to race they have to compete in their category