Helivac Winter Criterium Series - Gauteng

Frosty

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Received confirmation from GNC that the route for the hill climb has changed. I have already emailed CycleEvents to get a few things changed.

Did a reconnaissance ride at the Voortrekker Monument on Saturday.

All I can say is that my legs are going to burn hard this coming Sunday. That loop has some deceptive elevation changes.

Just a question: can one arrange for a road sweeper to clean the loop? There is a not-insignificant amount of debris on the loop.

With guys going full-gas I might suspect some pieces of loose gravel on the tarmac could cause some problems.

Did a reconnaissance ride at the Voortrekker Monument on Saturday.

All I can say is that my legs are going to burn hard this coming Sunday. That loop has some deceptive elevation changes.

Just a question: can one arrange for a road sweeper to clean the loop? There is a not-insignificant amount of debris on the loop.

With guys going full-gas I might suspect some pieces of loose gravel on the tarmac could cause some problems.

Thanks Rookie 85. We will be cleaning both the loop and the climb using a blower and brooms on Sat afternoon around 14:00 if you want to join  :whistling:

Thanks Rookie 85. We will be cleaning both the loop and the climb using a blower and brooms on Sat afternoon around 14:00 if you want to join  :whistling:

Great, well done! I was thinking one of those maintenance vehicles with the roller brushes beneath but a blower and brooms will work great, just allot of effort.

Would have loved to help but we are in the Pilanesberg on Saturday, but will be back in time for the start on Sunday.

Looking forward to this!

As the crit is in the afternoon, a small group of us is planning on riding through from Joburg, doing the hill climb and the crit and then riding back.

Anyone keen to join?

What is the best route for this?

Hi Schnavel, I am keen to join. From where are you riding?

From Midrand I suggest Rooihuiskraal Rd, right into Uitsig, Left into Olivenhoutbosch, Left into Botha and follow it until Eeufees Road. I prefer not to ride along old Joburg road, although it is faster.

What time is the hill climb as on cycle events it states the 15th?

Is the hill climb and crit on the same day? And how does it work? Is hillclimb per person or a group???

Is the hill climb and crit on the same day? And how does it work? Is hillclimb per person or a group???

Thanks for noticing Alfa

Both events are on the same day Sunday 16 July

12:00 Hillclimb

Free entry if entered for the crit, we got a prize sponsored by Key360 Performance Nutrition to the value of R750 (no cash prize anymore).

Start and finish will be marked by flags.

No cars allowed (no cheating).

You (individuals) ride the hillclimb at your own leisure between 12:00 and 13:00 and make sure it is uploaded to Strava. At 13:00 we see who posted the best time on Strava.

Very experimental hopefully it works.

13:00 Criterium starts with the youngsters.

Thereafter the different categories/groups.

Thanks for noticing Alfa

Both events are on the same day Sunday 16 July

12:00 Hillclimb

Free entry if entered for the crit, we got a prize sponsored by Key360 Performance Nutrition to the value of R750 (no cash prize anymore).

Start and finish will be marked by flags.

No cars allowed (no cheating).

You (individuals) ride the hillclimb at your own leisure between 12:00 and 13:00 and make sure it is uploaded to Strava. At 13:00 we see who posted the best time on Strava.

Very experimental hopefully it works.

13:00 Criterium starts with the youngsters.

Thereafter the different categories/groups.

Our club time trials work like that , no problems 

It took me a while to find where it says 15th of July, but eventually found it. Sorry - the event was originally on the 15th, but only the first page of the attachment was changed to the 16th.

Head down, in the thick of the action, one sometimes can't see the wood from the trees.

Archived