Is campag better than shimano?

Buddah

Big%20smile

Matter of opinion me thinks -------- on what's the best product. Question Perhaps a poll would suggest the deciding factor if it has not been done yet...

"DTThumbs%20Up"

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only Kempek woul name a groupset DEADALUS!!!!! (their failure MTB groupset) , and I can interchange spares on my Shimano fishing reels!!!!!

Only Kempek woul name a groupset DEADALUS!!!!! (their failure MTB groupset) ' date=' and I can interchange spares on my Shimano fishing reels!!!!![/quote']

I assume that was a typo H.  The groupset was Daedulus - but nice try.

If you want value for money, the cheapest 10 speed groupset is Campag Veloce.  If you buy Campag, import it as a complete groupset it will be cheaper than anything from Shimano sold here.  Just remeber your bike probably has an English bottom bracket and make sure you get the right front derailleur (if in doubt get braze-on, the Shimano adapter works perfectly with Campag).

On comparisons - compare the groupsets at their equivalent pricepoints, Veloce has no comparison, Centaur compares with 105, Chorus with Ultegra and Record with Dura Ace.  Campag has smaller hoods which you will either like or hate.  Shimano has cables where your hand should go if you have big hands.  On durability - I have never had a problem with the durability of anything from Campag, the Tiagra I once use wore out pretty quickly - everything from the front derailleur to the jockey wheels.  Shifting with Shimano is generally lighter, Campag tends to be a little noisier but reduces as you send more.  I have found that the only adjustment I ever need to make with my current Chorus groupset after 3 years now is replacement or straightening of the derailleur hanger.  Otherwise shifts are perfect and perfectly consistent.  I have dropped the chain on a few occasions but that is more to do with my 34-50 crankset than anything else.

Linnega ....it WAS a typo .... dead right, the groupset was ICARUS....the guy with wax wings ya know????? Daedalus was his dad.... ok I was in the same family......Icarus did NOT fly..... neither did the Kempek MTB Groupset.

Dura ace is silky smooth, looks good and performs well. Campag perhaps a bit 'rougher', performs year after year and perhaps most importantly - it's beautiful. If you can afford campag and the cost of a new very expensive cassette and chain go for it.

If you go for campagnolo then no excuses - get record!
Jonathan Kinnear2006-10-14 13:56:19

Linnega ....it WAS a typo .... dead right' date=' the groupset was ICARUS....the guy with wax wings ya know????? Daedalus was his dad.... ok I was in the same family......Icarus did NOT fly..... neither did the Kempek MTB Groupset.[/quote']

I thought there was something wrong.  Your mythology is spot on, also why it sounded reasonable enough.  And the failure of the groupset was as spectacular as Icarus's fall after flying too close to the sun.