Is campag better than shimano?

Buddah

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No first hand experience but my brother (I ride with him 6 days a week so yip it isn't too second hand!) has just changed 2 bikes from Shimano to Campag. 1 from 9sp Ultegra to 10sp Record 2006 and 1 from 10sp Ultegra to Record 2007.

His comments as follows :-

1) His Ultegra was smoother when it was fitted and he first used it - will the Campag 'wear' in as everyone says?

2) The shifting is not as intuitive as on the Shimano i.e. you don't have to move your hand to far to shift in either direction. When in the drops you have to move your hand a fair amount up to get to that little 'button' on the side

3) The 'hoods' on the Campag shifters are somewhat smaller and he keeps feeling like he is going to slip over them and fall on his face!

On the plus side he is committed to them, they look the dogs bollocks, and will give them a chance to wear in and to get used to the difference in feel and operation before making further comments

My 0.05 worth...

I had several years with Shimano, most recently 105 9 speed and (briefly) 105 10 speed, and went to Record a few months ago.

Once my brain was re-programmed to the different shift operation Campag was every bit as intuitive to use as Shimano.  I was never dissatisfied with 105.  In several years I never missed a shift, and if the chain ever dropped I do not recall it.  The shift from large to small chainring on 105 10 speed did take a fairly hefty prod to make it happen, but that might have worn in and improved with time.  That's really the extent of my criticsm of Shimano.

Campagnolo definitely exudes more of a coolth factor than Shimano, which was something I would have said when I was riding Shimano.

The hoods do feel a little funny at first, as Big Ben describes, like you're going to slip off the front of them, but I always put that down to the fact there aren't big loops of brake cable emanating from between thumb and forefinger.

The look is much neater, without those big loops of brake cable, but you would get that with the new SRAM gruppos as well.

The people that I spoke to who had gone from Shimano to Campganolo all said that they would not go back, and I have had claims of longer chain and cassette life with Campagnolo, but hey, that's just anecdotal evidence, and second hand at that, so take it for what it's worth.

I have the following: Campag Record 10sp; DuraAce 9sp; Ultegra 10 Sp; 105 9Sp.

105 9Sp - Shifting struggles at times and you need to apply force for changing gears.

Ultegra 10Sp - Better than 105

DuraAce 9Sp - Smooth / Soft Shifting with little effort

Record 10Sp - Up and down shifting precise with little effort but you can hear a definative shift.

Campag Hoods - Good grip out of the saddle

Shimano Hoods - Good grip out of saddle as well as TT position

Shimano down shifting when on the drops (sprinting) better than Campag.

I like both my groupset.

I'm still using 9spd 105 and not a single mis shift and very smooth quiet shift. I do want the new '07 carbon Centaur just because it's, apparently, Record performance at less then Ultegra price.

Campy! Campy! Campy!

I've had Shimano Sora, an old 2nd hand Campag Chorus groupset, and a new Ultegra groupset. Now currently riding on a spare bike with the Chorus(fitted on the third frame in its lifetime) again.

Although the Chorus is anly an 8-speed and the Ultegra 10, it is still a dream! I will always prefer campag as it is real comfortable, handles excellently, have never given me any trouble and IT JUST LOOKS BETTER!

I think it is currently the only good thing about the spare bike...the rest (frame, hendlebars, handling etc.) is driving me up the walls!!!) smiley29.gif

Campy! Campy! Campy!

I've had Shimano Sora' date=' an old 2nd hand Campag Chorus groupset, and a new Ultegra groupset. Now currently riding on a spare bike with the Chorus(fitted on the third frame in its lifetime) again.

Although the Chorus is anly an 8-speed and the Ultegra 10, it is still a dream! I will always prefer campag as it is real comfortable, handles excellently, have never given me any trouble and IT JUST LOOKS BETTER!
I think it is currently the only good thing about the spare bike...the rest (frame, hendlebars, handling etc.) is driving me up the walls!!!) smiley29.gif [/quote']

Don't worry Nellie, the new bikeshop to open in Worcester is working on your replacement stuff.... Wink (sorry admin, not advertising, just reassuring one of my loyal club members....)

DuraAce is value for money!!! Campag has ego/image associated to it!

I will agree that Campag has ego and image associated with it, but nobody buys Dura Ace because it is such excellent value for money.  Hey, the ego and image are important.  I'll be the first to own up to the fact that my bike is faster than its rider!

If you want value for money, buy 105 which is prolly more than adequate for anybody who has to buy their own kit.

Don't worry Nellie' date=' the new bikeshop to open in Worcester is working on your replacement stuff.... [img']https://www.bikehub.co.za/smileys/smiley2.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Wink" />?(sorry admin, not advertising, just reassuring one of my loyal club members....)

Great!!! smiley4.gif Wat gan ek kry? huh? huh? huh? smiley2.gif

thanx smiley31.gif

As far as the debate,

I love my Campy chorus groupset.

I really don't think there's so much difference in performance, both top end groupsets work really well.

As I see it, you've got to ask yourself two questions:

1. What looks better with your bike, I'm a HUGE campy supporter, but there are actually a few bikes that look nicer with those DA cranks...

2. Is value for money a major concern. Then Shimano is probably a short head in from of Campy, though I get the general idea Campy stuff lasts longer, provided you look after it.

Don't worry Nellie' date=' the new bikeshop to open in Worcester is working on your replacement stuff.... [img']https://www.bikehub.co.za/smileys/smiley2.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Wink" /> (sorry admin, not advertising, just reassuring one of my loyal club members....)

Great!!! smiley4.gif Wat gan ek kry? huh? huh? huh? 
thanx smiley31.gif

Well ons kan altyd jou Ultegra levers probeer inruil vir iets Italjaans..... Wink