R40K to spend on a trail bike - What options?

Caerus

:wub: 

in your budget? 

Yes. Honestly, if I were in the market, and that were my size (it is) I'd buy it in a heartbeat. SUCH an awesome bike, that. Pedals very well, descends even better. It's playful, razor sharp and yet just lets you get on with things. Inspires such confidence. It's a bit heavier than the direct competition, but you don't notice it on the trail. Mate of mine has done Sani on his and it's absolutely fine. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. Honestly, if I were in the market, and that were my size (it is) I'd buy it in a heartbeat. SUCH an awesome bike, that. Pedals very well, descends even better. It's playful, razor sharp and yet just lets you get on with things. Inspires such confidence. It's a bit heavier than the direct competition, but you don't notice it on the trail. Mate of mine has done Sani on his and it's absolutely fine. 

mmmmmm, sounds a lot like my other half. :ph34r:

attachicon.gifBanshee Spitfire.jpg

Banshee Spitfire (yellow and blue) up for grabs.

Pike RCT3

Monarch Debonair

Some XT gears and brakes

Lyne crankset

Dt Swiss generic hubs

Rapide dropper and seat

let me just say I think that is a great idea ..........

post-5403-0-09258600-1502969939_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifBanshee Spitfire.jpg

Banshee Spitfire (yellow and blue) up for grabs.

Pike RCT3

Monarch Debonair

Some XT gears and brakes

Lyne crankset

Dt Swiss generic hubs

Rapide dropper and seat

how many ZAR's ?

Just got back from Spez shop looking at the Stumpjumper, on Sale at R 40 500. So I guess its take the Spez, Banshee and Trance for a test ride :-)

Next question, to go fattie tyres of 2.8". Not ridden the fattie tyrs at all. 

Just got back from Spez shop looking at the Stumpjumper, on Sale at R 40 500. So I guess its take the Spez, Banshee and Trance for a test ride :-)

Honestly - niner. Better selection of quality tyres, lighter overall, better suited to long days in the saddle. 

Fatty would be if you just like hooning it. Better grip, more traction on the steeps. But the tyre selection isn't there, and good tyres (with appropriate sidewall protection) are heavy. 

Truth is, you can get pretty much any bike you desire with a reasonable spec for the magic number of R40k.

I'm insured for exactly this amount so have spent some time while riding through the dodgy areas in JHB. My list off the top of my head is:

1. Pyga 140 from BikeMarket for 35k, then throw in a dropper and some bits.
  2. Times are tough so people are flogging some power bikes on the hub at the moment. Santa Cruz's with Enve wheels, Transition smugglers, Carbon Lapierre bikes etc. 
  3. YT Jeffsy AL Comp1

Again R40k is a magic amount when it comes to bikes, so my suggestion would be to go and thrash around some demo bikes and see what feels right.

Winner! :)

post-15825-0-96595400-1502974095_thumb.jpg

Fatty ( 650+ ) : Grip for days honestly if the pressure is right you can corner on off camber roots and A very plush ride.

Side walls tend to "roll" or "fold" in tight berms ( if you pump up to compensate , you get A floppy rear end) and there is little trail feedback if your like that.

29ers : rolls very fast , many tyres available and proper trail feedback

harder to corner tho and you can't build them as stong as smaller wheels

If the bike ( like the spez is boost front and rear with fatty tyres ) you can run both wheel sizes and maybe keep the fat wheels for playful rides.

I built 29er wheels and got rid of the plus wheels , don't regret it at all :) ( 2016 stumpjumper fatty)

Truth is, you can get pretty much any bike you desire with a reasonable spec for the magic number of R40k.

I'm insured for exactly this amount so have spent some time while riding through the dodgy areas in JHB. My list off the top of my head is:

1. Pyga 140 from BikeMarket for 35k, then throw in a dropper and some bits.
  2. Times are tough so people are flogging some power bikes on the hub at the moment. Santa Cruz's with Enve wheels, Transition smugglers, Carbon Lapierre bikes etc. 
  3. YT Jeffsy AL Comp1

Again R40k is a magic amount when it comes to bikes, so my suggestion would be to go and thrash around some demo bikes and see what feels right.

That PYGA looks the business, and a great price. Its a 2017 model.  A spanner in the works it seems now

That PYGA looks the business, and a great price. Its a 2017 model.  A spanner in the works it seems now

Honestly It'd be between the tranny and the banshee. The PYGA is nice, sure, but it's just slightly older ito geo than the other two, and has a lower spec. Yes, it comes with a warranty, but in all honesty it's... I dunno. The other two just call out to me more. 

Honestly It'd be between the tranny and the banshee. The PYGA is nice, sure, but it's just slightly older ito geo than the other two, and has a lower spec. Yes, it comes with a warranty, but in all honesty it's... I dunno. The other two just call out to me more. 

I'm not sure I want to ride a cross dresser  :whistling:  You are talking about the Trance I assume.

Thoughts on the Spez option?

I'm not sure I want to ride a cross dresser  :whistling:  You are talking about the Trance I assume.

Nah, the transition. 

Trance is a solid option. Much more accomplished now with the geo upgrades and different length shock, which increases its pedalling prowess. 

Spaz is also a great option. At this price point, you truly are spoilt for choice and honestly it'll come down to how each bike makes you feel. Which is why it's important to test test and test again. 

i had a trance and swopped to a 2016 Carbon Stumpjumper with Pike upfront and dropper post....best thing i ever did and it was under 40k  (secondhand but like new )

Are you talking the Transition Scout?

Nah, the transition. 

Trance is a solid option. Much more accomplished now with the geo upgrades and different length shock, which increases its pedalling prowess. 

Spaz is also a great option. At this price point, you truly are spoilt for choice and honestly it'll come down to how each bike makes you feel. Which is why it's important to test test and test again. 

Archived