R40K to spend on a trail bike - What options?

Caerus

I'm not sure I want to ride a cross dresser  :whistling:  You are talking about the Trance I assume.

Thoughts on the Spez option?

Just a thought, what size are you? You can alway grab a ride on my medium Tranny (smuggler) if you wanted to check it out and then I'm sure you can get a demo on the YT, the Stumpy and the evil twins probably have a banshee you can borrow for a lap or two. 

Thunk Myles meant this one: 

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/263425-2017-transition-smuggler/

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i had a trance and swopped to a 2016 Carbon Stumpjumper with Pike upfront and dropper post....best thing i ever did and it was under 40k (secondhand but like new )

New trance is a different beast entirely, by all accounts. That shock and linkage change was very good.

Just got back from Spez shop looking at the Stumpjumper, on Sale at R 40 500. So I guess its take the Spez, Banshee and Trance for a test ride :-)

Next question, to go fattie tyres of 2.8". Not ridden the fattie tyrs at all.

Only go fattie (27.5+) if you can afford a second 29er wheelset. It's a very cool thing to have, but only every now and then. Doesn't pedal amazingly, and tbh, if you have a stiff and wide 29er wheelset with the right tyres you will find yourself switching over to the 27.5 very rarely.

My stumpy (originally 27.5) now has a set of 29ers on it permenantly.

But.... that Banshee, wow! And the options from YT and Pyga at the moment. If I was in the market for a new bike I would be very confused - we are spoilt for choice in your price range!

One thing I can say is that I was on a Trance (2016) before the Stumpy, and although it is a good bike, it just does not have the same wow factor as the Banshee, YT, or Spaz. I always found myself wanting more from the Giant - be it looks, performance, playfulness etc. I couldn't fault it, but I also couldn't fall in love with it...

Just got back from Spez shop looking at the Stumpjumper, on Sale at R 40 500. So I guess its take the Spez, Banshee and Trance for a test ride :-)

Next question, to go fattie tyres of 2.8". Not ridden the fattie tyrs at all. 

I went from 29'ers to my fattie on the advice of my lbs but  having never ridden one ... I trust my lbs and they know my riding style.. and it's THE.BEST.EVER!!!

The bike climbs climbs brilliantly, descends brilliantly, grips like crazy...  

Only go fattie (27.5+) if you can afford a second 29er wheelset. It's a very cool thing to have, but only every now and then.  

each to their own I guess, but I love mine.. 7 months down the line I have no need to 29ers. 

Perhaps If I had to do a Marathon stage event I'd feel otherwise, but for now,I'm good..really good.

each to their own I guess, but I love mine.. 7 months down the line I have no need to 29ers.

Perhaps If I had to do a Marathon stage event I'd feel otherwise, but for I'm good..really good.

Fair enough. I got my 29ers with the idea of using 2.7.5+ on most days, and 29ers on long days 70km+. But I got a good set of Spanks (30mm wide) on Hope 4s, and I just love them and never wanted to put the fatties on again. The 29ers grip, roll fast, and are stiff.

The fatties now find themselves on a steel hardtail enduro bike - which is the perfect application for them (for me).

Haven't read through all the pages here, but maybe also consider the Trek Stache as an option. 

It's a 29r+ hardtail with a 120mm fork, and depending on the model a dropper post as well. Also with the 29 plus size wheels it gives you a whole range of wheel sizing and tyre volume configurations that'd cover you for a range of riding from endurance/marathon to trail/enduro even.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/264197-pyga-pascoe/

Rode a lot of bikes before I bought myself a Pyga last year. Banshee was also in that group, Banshee can descend with authority, which the Pyga does equally well, but the Pyga climbed and accelerated much faster. I rode all bikes on the same tracks to compare feel and times.

interesting one for me was that my Banshee again climbs better than the Stumpy I used to own.

The Stumpy I had to flip to "pedal" on the shock, whereas the Spitty climbs well in the open setting.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/264197-pyga-pascoe/

Rode a lot of bikes before I bought myself a Pyga last year. Banshee was also in that group, Banshee can descend with authority, which the Pyga does equally well, but the Pyga climbed and accelerated much faster. I rode all bikes on the same tracks to compare feel and times.

I think Bike Market was selling a brand new Pascoe for about R36k. Specced with a RS Yari, SRAM NX

Haven't read through all the pages here, but maybe also consider the Trek Stache as an option. 

It's a 29r+ hardtail with a 120mm fork, and depending on the model a dropper post as well. Also with the 29 plus size wheels it gives you a whole range of wheel sizing and tyre volume configurations that'd cover you for a range of riding from endurance/marathon to trail/enduro even.

Just watch BB height... dropping from 29+ to smaller wheels (and you can ONLY drop) will be a road to Pedalstrikesville. At least you'll know that ANY tyre you fit will have ample clearance

OK, so a bit of a spanner has been thrown into the works (pun intended)

I've been offered this 2016 Spez S-Works for R 50K - Not a trail bike, but a dream bike nevertheless.

Thoughts?

post-13006-0-68993500-1503475691_thumb.jpg

post-13006-0-19094000-1503475707_thumb.jpg

post-13006-0-08677400-1503475714_thumb.jpg

post-13006-0-28820200-1503475721_thumb.jpg

I've been offered this 2016 Spez S-Works for R 50K - Not a trail bike, but a dream bike nevertheless.

Thoughts?

attachicon.gif1.jpg

attachicon.gif2.jpg

attachicon.gif3.jpg

attachicon.gif4.jpg

If you want to race and challenge for the top 10%, great.

It's definitely not a trail bike, and considering you were looking for something less skittish... I wouldn't recommend. 

Reasons why: far more skittish handling. Steeper head angle (less confidence inspiring) less travel (less confidence inspiring) lower margin for error, less comfortable. 

Compared to a camber - no way in hell. 

Thoughts?

attachicon.gif1.jpg

attachicon.gif2.jpg

attachicon.gif3.jpg

attachicon.gif4.jpg

If it was a camber or Stumpy, I'd say YES. Great bike, but ultimately not what you're looking for and the wrong bike at a great price will end up an expensive exercise. 

Archived