Bearing Press - BB, beadset and pivot bearings

Odinson

Is there a magical bearing press that can be used on headset/PF BBs and pivot bearings? 

The top bearing in my headset is rusted to ****, even though the bearings still run quite smooth. So, I need to press in a new cup, but was wondering whether I can buy one press that can do it all for my bike. 

Im pretty sure that I saw one recently, afaik its just a change of the adaptor to cater for different types of bearings.

V12 bought a set recently that looked like they would do just about any bearings.

Is there a magical bearing press that can be used on headset/PF BBs and pivot bearings? 

The top bearing in my headset is rusted to ****, even though the bearings still run quite smooth. So, I need to press in a new cup, but was wondering whether I can buy one press that can do it all for my bike. 

@Sportsworld has a kit for sale: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/220909-new-park-tool-hbp-1-press-set-free-courier/ 

Don't come cheap, do they? 

Good tools never do, but they last you a lifetime, and then some. Your kids and their kids will be using the bearing press to service their bikes.

So, the next question. Do you buy an entire set or only the press and relevant drifts that you need? No point really in having a bunch of drifts that you may never use. 

So, the next question. Do you buy an entire set or only the press and relevant drifts that you need? No point really in having a bunch of drifts that you may never use. 

Most kits come with all the drifts 

Look into some local engineering companies to make you thread bar ( use very fine thread) and handles and then just machine up the drifts you need ( hope sell drifts for their hubs, not sure about other companies tho)

You can buy the economy press with your required drifts apart.

Use a tube inserted from the opposite end and tap them out with a hammer - never had to use any special kind of press on headsets or BB's

I currently use an assortment of bolts, nuts, washers and sockets. Until I can afford that WM press.

I too was looking for the pot at the end of the rainbow that did it all but there were tools that were very expensive so i ended up buying a bearing extractor and then found a nice little bearing press tool online. Sure you, could easily make the bearing press yourself with washers and all that but i couldn't be bothered and wanted something proper. Probably need something to push out headset cups and not sure if the press i bought can push them in

post-57045-0-25597700-1503414549_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-29620000-1503416185_thumb.jpg

I've been eyeing this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/rapidracerproducts-bearing-press-extraction-tool/rp-prod57883

and then just buying the relevant drifts:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/rapidracerproducts-bearing-kit/rp-prod57887

Not going to work for headset cups and most BBs though, but you can press and extract most of the smaller bearings with the same tool.

So many tools, so much money.... I don't see the point in buying a full set as a home mechanic, especially given that the kits are all just presses, and you'll need to buy a separate puller.

Other options:

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id176.html

Archived