SRAM Apex CX 1x11 groupset

lechatnoir

Can anyone tell me if this groupset is available from a retailer in SA? Queried a big one in CT and they don't carry it. Anyone else? Or do i need to get it shipped in?

TIA

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone tell me if this groupset is available from a retailer in SA? Queried a big one in CT and they don't carry it. Anyone else? Or do i need to get it shipped in?

TIA

If you find it, kindly share if you don't mind. 

Also been looking for it. 

does this mean the official distributor that blocks you from buying online doesn't actually carry the product that they're the agents for?

Will get in touch with another retailer to find out what's what... confusion abounds... Cape Cycles seems to think they carry AND supply this. Apparently it's a mix of components - Force and mtb bits etc. So a bit 'bitty'. 

Possibly requires a bit of comparative shopping and judicious use of Aramex global shopper.

Will get in touch with another retailer to find out what's what... confusion abounds... Cape Cycles seems to think they carry AND supply this. Apparently it's a mix of components - Force and mtb bits etc. So a bit 'bitty'. 

Possibly requires a bit of comparative shopping and judicious use of Aramex global shopper.

I enquired 2 weeks ago regarding the 1x SRAM road components available in ZA. Only the Force 1 is available locally at some super premium prices.

If you want Rival or Apex you're basically stuck jumping through hoops to import them yourself due to the distributor restrictions in place. VERY consumer unfriendly.

The only mtb bits that might be in the groupset is the cassette/chain. This is fine as they have the same spacing. The 11sp mtb cassettes will however fit on a 10sp freehub; shimano/sunrace/etc. cassettes can also be used. SRAM 1x11sp mtb (x-actuation) and road (exact-actuation) derailleurs have different pull ratios, so they're not compatible.

Edited by cairbre

just import it bud; amazing how importers and shops put the responsibility on you as the client to phone 20 different people to get 20 different answers and the pay a whopper of a premium on top of it.

retail in SA needs to shape up or do what business do that don't.... 

just import it bud; amazing how importers and shops put the responsibility on you as the client to phone 20 different people to get 20 different answers and the pay a whopper of a premium on top of it.

retail in SA needs to shape up or do what business do that don't.... 

A couple of things I learned... I'm going to get reamed buying locally, *IF* I can even get it here. Also, getting direct from Bike24 is not possible (SRAM restrictions). BUT, shipping via Dubai and Aramex, I skip almost 100Euro tax not buying in Germany AND shipping from Bike24 to Dubai is the same as to SA... Sure, I need to pay Aramex shipping from there, but I don't expect issues.

So now, I just need another local bunch to answer my mails... Helloooo.... Momsen! are you reading this?

I have one - bought it in Germany from Bike24 because the local agent is tfu.

Ebay is a good place to get around any restrictions... look there for a supplier.

It's basically an nx rear dr, mtb calipers and road hydraulic levers - very little in on the fly adjustment in the levers compared to cx1 - hasnt proved to be an issue yet.

A couple of things I learned... I'm going to get reamed buying locally, *IF* I can even get it here. Also, getting direct from Bike24 is not possible (SRAM restrictions). BUT, shipping via Dubai and Aramex, I skip almost 100Euro tax not buying in Germany AND shipping from Bike24 to Dubai is the same as to SA... Sure, I need to pay Aramex shipping from there, but I don't expect issues.

So now, I just need another local bunch to answer my mails... Helloooo.... Momsen! are you reading this?

This route you going will take you 4 weeks to get here as there delivery to the UAE for some reason is even longer than what it is to SA.

You can just mail CRC and ask them nicely and they will do it for you. They cant lift the restrictions on the site but via email they have no issues helping you.

I have one - bought it in Germany from Bike24 because the local agent is tfu.

Ebay is a good place to get around any restrictions... look there for a supplier.

It's basically an nx rear dr, mtb calipers and road hydraulic levers - very little in on the fly adjustment in the levers compared to cx1 - hasnt proved to be an issue yet.

pictures or we don't believe you ^_^

A couple of things I learned... I'm going to get reamed buying locally, *IF* I can even get it here. 

I so badly want to get a Rival or Apex 1X  group-set with hydraulic brakes for my gravel/touring bike.

But this "asshole" attitude of SRAM and the even worse service, attitude  and ridiculous prices of the local agents, leaves a bad taste in your mouth (pun intended) even if you get hold of the group-set in the end.

I so wish/pray Shimano would come with a affordable 1X group-set with Hydro brakes and a 11-46 derailleur/cassette option at the back. 

Edited by IH8MUD

This route you going will take you 4 weeks to get here as there delivery to the UAE for some reason is even longer than what it is to SA.

You can just mail CRC and ask them nicely and they will do it for you. They cant lift the restrictions on the site but via email they have no issues helping you.

Not convinced, here's a reply I got from CRC after explaining to them that the component wasn't available locally:

We have a great relationship with SRAM who provide us with a great range of products. We have agreed with them that we will not sell their products outside of the EU.

SRAM would be happy to point you in the direction of a local dealer to supply you with this product.

https://www.sram.com/contact

Sorry for any inconvenience caused and being unable to help on this occasion. Hopefully we will be able to help you out again in the future.

I so wish/pray Shimano would come with a affordable 1X group-set with Hydro brakes and a 11-46 derailleur/cassette option at the back. 

Can't imagine they're NOT looking at this with interest and intent, but as with all large Japanese companies, they move at glacial speed, but when they do, it's usually worth the wait. (said in hope)