Building a bike for my special needs son

Wally39

So a LONG overdue update.

I have canned the idea of the old bike and Weehoo trailer. The old bike had Vee brakes and weighed a ton. The Weehoo trailer also weighed too much and just was not going to work as it was difficult to get him in by myself and was unbalanced.

After much backwards and forwards and re-inventing the wheel this is where we are at:

• Redid the drive train on my bike. I now have a 30 tooth chainring with a 11-46 XT cassette and 11 speed shifter.
  • Re-did his old traier to fit his bigger size. Built a seat that mounts onto what is effectivly the trailers axle, complete with roll cage and canopy.
  • Engineered a bracket that bolts and clamps onto my bike. Takes 5 minutes to install. Shock needs to be locked out with minimal suspension movement unfortunately.
  • Harness still needs final mods but works for now.

Climbing is okay, enough brake power to be comfortable (Zee's on 180mm rotors) and pretty stable.

Bike, trailer and son are on hire for anyone traing for races. :D  Trust me, it is a workout of note.

He loved the first ride. Pics to follow

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic