Mavic Cracked Rim- Options?

RexFuzzle

Went through this myself just over a year ago.

Mine was complicated by being rim brakes as well as 26". Mavic has blocked online sales to SA BUT between the SA agent and a local wheel builder I managed to get a replacement rim and rebuild for a very reasonable amount.

Cheaper than a new wheel of same quality if your spokes and hub are still good... mine were ok but I decided to replace spokes and use longer nipples which will hopefully be stronger.

Find a wheel builder who can do the job and take it from there. Good luck hope you come right sourcing the rim. 26" was still available last year ????????

I have 2 x 26", 32H Mavic XM117 Disc hoops if you are interested

Your safest and best bet at this stage.

To everyone suggesting replacement rims - the only thing that's going to fit on there is a Mavic rim from that EXACT wheelset. It's a proprietary system. Ebay or Gogo's connection are about your only options unless Mavic SA have a rim somewhere in a dusty corner.

Ā 

It's either that or a complete wheel.

To everyone suggesting replacement rims - the only thing that's going to fit on there is a Mavic rim from that EXACT wheelset. It's a proprietary system. Ebay or Gogo's connection are about your only options unless Mavic SA have a rim somewhere in a dusty corner.

Ā 

It's either that or a complete wheel.

Shows how much I know. Thanks Droo.

Ā 

Hates proprietary systems.

Ā 

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Shows how much I know. Thanks Droo.

Ā 

Hates proprietary systems.

Ā 

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ā 

Proprietary wheel systems are a pet peeve of mine. R 100 and change for a spoke that needs to be ordered from the distributor before they stop supporting your one. And a proprietary tool to fit it.Ā 

Ā 

J-bend FTW!

Duck tape - you could even go tjoepless.

Ā 

If that does not work then bloudraad and 'n tang.

Ā 

(How did it even get to that ???)

Scrap it or next you will be trying to fix the crack in your skullĀ 

Ja, I wouldn't want this rim under me now. Better safe than sorry on this one.

So it was fixed with some pratleys and lots of sealant, but think it was pumped up a little too hard for the last ride and started splitting further. Looks like there are similar hairline cracks in the front one too. Very weird as I have a pair of CrossTrails and haven't had any such issues (Touch wood).