36ONE - R5.51 per km

Trailseeker = R4.20 per km

947 = R5 per km

CTCT = R4 per km

Tour of Good Hope = R11.22 per km

#blameitonkevin #stageracingisnotcheap #roadracesarecheap #whatarewepaying4

Comrades marathon...R5 per kilometre

What's the perkm for Ironman?!

I've been involved from an event organisers perspective and believe me the compliance costs are the killers. I'm a bit out of touch with the numbers.. bit it's the indirect compliance costs that are the killers.... Health and safety rep.... Ambulance services...etc... Then there's the route markings tables fencing finishing area.

Rider appeasement costs are also quite a big chunk... Timing... Medals and clobber... Streamlined registration and online services.. Prob the biggest cost in fact.

In my opinion it is under unsustainable... And my organisers are now shifting to trail running where the numbers are growing.. The regulations are less and you seem to be able to get away with charging a small fortune for entry.

Roof running is the cheapest when it comes to Organisation costs. We lost our main sponsor this year a few months before the event (despite committing to a the year deal and this being the last year) and with no sponsor... We still provided the same service and Just made a small profit to help with the annual club costs

but only if you use asbestos, and can get away with it

ACE = R53 per km
SANI = R28.11 per km
W2W = R25 per km
36ONE - R5.51 per km
Trailseeker = R4.20 per km for marathon
Trailseeker = R6.00 per km for half marathon
947 = R5 per km
CTCT = R4 per km
Tour of Good Hope = R11.22 per km

#blameitonkevin #stageracingisnotcheap #roadracesarecheap #whatarewepaying4

Don't forget to add CSA license fees... :ph34r:

Just some comparatives:

Kermis race in BE: ZAR0.67 per km

Crit race in NL: ZAR1.60 per km

Gran fondo (sportives) in the BeNeLux region: R3.50 per km

This whole cost per km thing is rather silly. You're never going to compare apples with apples doing this.

Case in point, best race money I spent this year was the Argus Junior Cycle Tour. At R150* for 1.3km it's like R110/km - over 3 times more than the Epic!

*think that was the price.

This whole cost per km thing is rather silly. You're never going to compare apples with apples doing this.

Case in point, best race money I spent this year was the Argus Junior Cycle Tour. At R150* for 1.3km it's like R110/km - over 3 times more than the Epic!

*think that was the price.

What the hell happened in 1.3km?

Was this a ride for little kids organised in conjunction with the argus? If that's the case then the organisers should be shot charging for such an activity... And R150 nogal? Jislaaik

Agree, this whole R/km comparison thing is beyond daft.

To state the Obvious, the cost per km to HOST the event comes down as the distance increases...

The fixed/base cost is more or less the same, untill you go over 24hrs...

To state the Obvious, the cost per km to HOST the event comes down as the distance increases...

The fixed/base cost is more or less the same, untill you go over 24hrs...

Yes but using distance as the measurement is nonsensical because for the most part it is only a minor driver of the cost of hosting an event (unless it is some extreme distance event). Also simply adding km's to an event doesn't simply equal better value for participants.

What the hell happened in 1.3km?

Was this a ride for little kids organised in conjunction with the argus? If that's the case then the organisers should be shot charging for such an activity... And R150 nogal? Jislaaik

I thought you'd never ask!  You never even questioned the goodie bag either

Archived