XT Brake Pads (M8000)

Mintman

Hi guys,

I need to buy replacement pads for my XT brakeset.

Can anyone recommend a durable metal or sintered set? From what I can see, CWC has the genuine metal pads with cooling fins for R399 and a couple of other cheaper options:

RESPONSE SINTERED DISC PADS (XT/XTR) R170

RESPONSE SEMI METAL DISC PADS (XT/XTR) R170

SHIMANO XTR 980 DISC PADS METAL (G04TI) R299

Does anyone have experience with these or could you recommend another option? I'm not even certain whether the cheaper two sets above fit the M8000 calipers.

Thanks for your help :)

Hi guys,

I need to buy replacement pads for my XT brakeset.

Can anyone recommend a durable metal or sintered set? From what I can see, CWC has the genuine metal pads with cooling fins for R399 and a couple of other cheaper options:

RESPONSE SINTERED DISC PADS (XT/XTR) R170

RESPONSE SEMI METAL DISC PADS (XT/XTR) R170

SHIMANO XTR 980 DISC PADS METAL (G04TI) R299

Does anyone have experience with these or could you recommend another option? I'm not even certain whether the cheaper two sets above fit the M8000 calipers.

Thanks for your help :)

Personal preference but I do Metal on the front, Sintered on the rear. XT pads are more than capable.

You dont need to buy M8000 pads and the normal cheaper XT pads are more than adequate.

From personal preference I would suggest the metallic pads only for wet and muddy riding conditions, the resin pads for anything else.

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

You dont need to buy M8000 pads and the normal cheaper XT pads are more than adequate.

From personal preference I would suggest the metallic pads only for wet and muddy riding conditions, the resin pads for anything else.

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

Great, I was under the impression that the resin pads wouldn't last as long, even in dry conditions. If they're pretty similar then that sounds like the best option for me.

Cheers!

Shimano brake pads longevity is the reason I stick with Shimano brakes. I got 4200km off my last set of rear xt sintrred finned pads and am currently sitting on 5200km on my fronts.

Not sure if the fins make a difference, but the sintered pads last about twice as long as the resin pads, in my experience.

With my previous formula brakes I barely got 1000km on my rear pads, also sintered. Replaced them with XTs, they have almost paid for themselves already.

Shimano brake pads longevity is the reason I stick with Shimano brakes. I got 4200km off my last set of rear xt sintrred finned pads and am currently sitting on 5200km on my fronts.

Not sure if the fins make a difference, but the sintered pads last about twice as long as the resin pads, in my experience.

With my previous formula brakes I barely got 1000km on my rear pads, also sintered. Replaced them with XTs, they have almost paid for themselves already.

Are you referring to genuine Shimano sintered brake pads here? Obviously those are generally quite a bit more expensive than the other brands, like "Response" in my case.

Edited by Mintman

I klapped two sets of those sintered pads onto my bike about two weeks ago and flew down Contermans straight away with great results. No funny sounds and bedded in the first 0.7sec as opposed to the BBB resin pads I've previously used, which is saying something for a sintered pad.

I suppose it also depends on your application...

But I for one always prefer to get the pads that were made by the manufacturer...or at least approved by the manufacturer....I am the same with car brake pads! You do not know what short cuts are taken by the aftermarket brand! I suppose there are also failures with the manufacturer but you probably have more recourse with them than with aftermarket.

After all, you don't want the pads failing under extreme conditions!

The resin G02A pads (aluminium back plate) are going for R150 a set at CWC which is really good for what they are. These are standard issue on the M8000 brake sets and due to the excellent stopping power of the system they are more than adequate for the average user.

I swapped the G02A out for the metal finned J04C pads which I got with my wifes SLX M7000 brake set (replaced them with the G02S - steel back plate, more than enough for her light weight :P ). I only did this cause I wanted the full ICE-Tech compliment due to my weight and now we have a spare set of G02A to take with on race days. The G02A were great, and quiet, before I made the change!

The J02A resin finned pads are R290 at CWC which would be a great all-rounder and the fins help with pad life, as was noted above and with the attached pic...

G04Ti metal (Titanium backplate) is also not bad at R299!

If you not in a major hurry then wait for the next batch of sales at CWC

post-84387-0-27055100-1506938700_thumb.jpg