Convertible Enduro Helmets

Yo-Yo

Leatt sell their screws as spare parts, and they fit.

Otherwise Fleabay is your friend.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really torn atm.

My A1 is almost 4 years old so it's time for a fresh lid.  To me the obvious thing would be to buy a convertible lid so that I have the option to go FF for certain trails and the odd Enduro.

But, it's R3800 for the Leatt (which to me is the obvious choice) and I'll be using the chin bar on maybe 10% of my rides vs half that price for the AM version.

I'm just not convinced yet that I'll be using it enough to warrant paying double.  Yes, that one time you need it it'll be worth every cent, but I could just as easy set that argument off against the fact that I'll now be running a FF at speed with no neck brace, so what implications flow from that hypothetically speaking (seeing as we're now in the realm of justifying expenses with what ifs).

I'm leaning towards the AM to be honest.

I opted for a halflid last year when faced with the same conundrum. 

Mostly because it was crazy cheap and I already have a fullface.

I figured I would just wear the fullface on shuttle days or if the occasion allows:

Strap the fullface to my back and climb the jeep track.

Still wear my halflid like 90% of the time though.

Shuttle days are few and far between.

If I was balling I probably would have bought the bell or leatt convertible.

Just because I really want one. But I don't really need it...

Single convertible lid

Pros

• Uber sexy. 
  • Lighter than dedicated fullface.
  • One lid for everything.
  • Added safety (and confidence) that comes with that extra bit of protection on ALL your rides.

Cons

• *** expensive

2 helmet route (half lid and fullface)

Pros

• With the prices of these convertibles being what they are you could probably get a halflid and fullface for around the same amount of cash.
  • If you smash one lid you still have the other.

Cons

• If you do decide to climb with a fullface you either have to sweat buckets or deal with as much as an extra KG on your back
  • You'll still be looking at your friends convertible with envy. Wondering why you didn't just fork out the cash to begin with. 

I bought the Leatt convertible... I've never used the chinbar in the year I've had it. Not for want of trying but often I totally forget to pack it. Durrh.

Leatt sell their screws as spare parts, and they fit.

Otherwise Fleabay is your friend.falls itself apart :( 

Yeah that's cos they KNOW the lid falls itself apart...

Pity it's so comfortable and locally available.

Honestly I would not buy one until at least the 2019 models are out and the issues are sorted. I am hoping mine doesn't fall apart again...

1) Chin bar retention clips x 2

2) Chin bar cheek pads x 1

3) 360 turbine things - a few have fallen out - luckily I had noticed and tried to pop em back in.

Anyhoo...it's very comfortable, but it's Gen 1...so at this point I honestly could not recommend someone buy one.

Leatt...well they weren't exactly forthcoming to admitting to the chin bar retention clip issue...At first, and then it apparently started happening to multiple people.

I wanted a refund to be honest, but they replaced...Not sure what CPA says and I guess I could have/should have pressed the point. Anyway, still a little sour about it (as you can probably tell).

Single convertible lid

Pros

• Uber sexy. 
  •  

Please show us a picture of an Uber sexy one. I think they all look like a baboons bottom.

Yeah that's cos they KNOW the lid falls itself apart...

Pity it's so comfortable and locally available.

Honestly I would not buy one until at least the 2019 models are out and the issues are sorted. I am hoping mine doesn't fall apart again...

1) Chin bar retention clips x 2

2) Chin bar cheek pads x 1

3) 360 turbine things - a few have fallen out - luckily I had noticed and tried to pop em back in.

Anyhoo...it's very comfortable, but it's Gen 1...so at this point I honestly could not recommend someone buy one.

Leatt...well they weren't exactly forthcoming to admitting to the chin bar retention clip issue...At first, and then it apparently started happening to multiple people.

I wanted a refund to be honest, but they replaced...Not sure what CPA says and I guess I could have/should have pressed the point. Anyway, still a little sour about it (as you can probably tell).

yeah dude, honestly when I replace mine I'm gonna go with the Giro. I already know it fits, thanks to trying Pieter's one. And it's BLOODY comfortable. Like, properly, for my odd-shaped melon. 

I've got the leatt

Their warehouse is in tygervalley so I went to try it on first.

Best investment I have made

proper comfortable for long xc rides and plenty of protection from the Chinbar

it also comes with a whole lot of extras like a whole new set of padding 2 sets of lining and about 6 visor screws

It also has it own MIPS type system and from what i gather these uvex ones dont

I've got the leatt

Their warehouse is in tygervalley so I went to try it on first.

Best investment I have made

proper comfortable for long xc rides and plenty of protection from the Chinbar

it also comes with a whole lot of extras like a whole new set of padding 2 sets of lining and about 6 visor screws

It also has it own MIPS type system and from what i gather these uvex ones dont

Looking to make the Leatt plunge. Does the Enduro come with any warranties (crash, manufacturere etc.)?

Looking to make the Leatt plunge. Does the Enduro come with any warranties (crash, manufacturere etc.)?

Having had the Leatt and seen the Uvex I'd go the Uvex. 

50% crash replacement afaik, and yes manufacturer warranty for stupid little things that may happen. 

I've go the Bell Super DH MIPS and I really do like the way the Uvex attaches the jaw. Just seems a little simpler than the Bell and the Leatt.

Looked at the Uvex. Great looking lid. Not perfect though and has its quirks.

I only rude Uvex lids, for some reason the fit my noggin very well. So when it comes to convertible helmet time, it will be at the top of my list.

Please go and try out the different helmets to get a feeling for fit before just blindly buying. A comfortable helmet will always trump a better, but uncomfortable helmet.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived