Why ever does This Happen

cyclingronaldo

This is what happened to my Friend's tube while riding the Karoo to Coast. Would really like to know if this is a regular occurance while riding? post-72130-0-72725200-1507541070_thumb.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those tubes with the sealant in are utter rubbish. Once the sealant congeals, as it did in your pic, the tube functions as any other tube (no sealing capability), but has a 100g sealant turd spinning around in your wheel. 

Either go full tubeless or stick with normal tubes. 

So there are still guys riding mountain bikes with tubes? :ph34r:  :whistling:

There must always be the "one" who thinks tube with sealant is the same as tubeless...

En so leer ons mense...so leer ons.

Jeepers this is a tough crowd! OP wanted to know if this is a regular occurrence. not if using tubes is a good idea. :blush:

Jeepers this is a tough crowd! OP wanted to know if this is a regular occurrence. not if using tubes is a good idea. :blush:

I don't quite see the issue here?

You see, the tough crowd you speak off would not know the answer to the question seeing as none of the tough crowd ride mtb with tubes...

To the OP. No, not very common to see it to that extent. The slime in those tubes tend to coagulate in/around the valve leading to the valves failing long before it gets to that stage

I don't quite see the issue here?

You see, the tough crowd you speak off would not know the answer to the question seeing as none of the tough crowd ride mtb with tubes...

The issue here is the matter of the sealant congealing, I would assume that the reason would be the same regardless if you are using the sealant in a tube or in a tubeless setup.

And secondly it would be the first time ever in Hub history that someone does not know the answer to the question at hand .... or at least profess to know the answer. (insert sarcasm font here)

To the OP. No, not very common to see it to that extent. The slime in those tubes tend to coagulate in/around the valve leading to the valves failing long before it gets to that stage

Pulse I don't have much experience with these tubes with the sealant in so for my clarity.. does the sealant tend to coagulate in normal operation or is it caused by CO2 inflation like some sealants in tubeless setups?

Two sides of the same coin.

Those tubes coagulating does seem to happen more often than it should, hence using those tubes is not a good idea. :)

Two sides of the same coin.

Those tubes coagulating does seem to happen more often than it should, hence using those tubes is not a good idea. :)

Do you think its brand specific? or in general? the reason I ask is, the problem may be with the sealant more than the application?

Archived