LeoKnight

From my perspective I keep on enjoying the ride. Think it is well organised and everything. But my favorite actually remains Lourensford that first climb with the views of Helderberg basin.

Would I do the race again, not sure as I would consider rather doing the Houw Hoek mtb ride, which covers much the same routes. But I am very glad I signed up and experience the ride (heat, small tents, routes, waterpoints which were very well placed, etc)

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The report in from out on the trails was temps of between 32 and 35 degrees, with high humidity. As

I said before, my legs were fine, but my body could not handle the heat. I probably would have broken some record pedalling up to the stream under the trees on the klippies climb, just to get to some cool water and shade. My waterbottle water was already hot by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flip, sorry to hear... hope you get to recover and can still finish tomorrow.

Flip, sorry to hear... hope you get to recover and can still finish tomorrow.

That depends on the weather. If cool, then no problem. Maybe .

I am also surprised about all the bad reviews. I have done 5 W2W and the last 3 with my current partner. He is from the UK and the first year we did it together was the first time ever he has been to South Africa. Experiencing W2W through his eyes is definitely something else. He keeps raving about the nature and well organised everything is. He keeps saying there is nothing in the UK that can compete with this. He is now returning every year just for W2W.

This year we approached dinner differently. The big tent gets very noisy and busy at dinner time so we hung around the chill area with a bottle of Pinot Noir until everyone else have eaten. We did miss out on the steak but there was still a lot of chicken wings, tuna salad and fresh salad (with still a lot of olives and feta) left. Dinner was great and not so crowded.

Other things to point out that is great:

- The logistics with the bags

- The showers. Always hot water and no long queues. 

- The chill out area

- The friendliness of fellow riders (at least back in I/J batch where we were)

- The mattresses in the tents are actually not bad.

- There are enough toilets so the queues were never too long

- We quite like the Spur Burger at the end of the race

- The logistics at the bike wash and storage was also good. There is a bit of panic in the mornings when you can't find your bike immediately, but not for long

- Initially I did not like the new sweater we got this year, but I have changed my mind on that one. It's actually quite nice to wear around the house when its chilly 

All in all it comes back to the fact that everything is relative. Listening to my partner I realise how fortunate we are with all the choice we have regarding races. He just giggles when I tell him people on The Hub things that W2W is overpriced. 

I also want to add that they do not inflate the drinks prices just because its a captive market. The CBC beers were R25 each for crying out loud. I think SPAR charges more than that!

Delarey thanks for sharing the otherside of the coin ....

A friend did the weekend ride, and he has another friend doing this current ride.

His only negative comment relates to all the talking of the CEO's .... and that was more a comment than a complaint.

Having done the blue route of the Hermanus trails this morning again reminded me of just how beautiful this area is !!  I actually looped back to repeat a section in the forest.

I also want to add that they do not inflate the drinks prices just because its a captive market. The CBC beers were R25 each for crying out loud. I think SPAR charges more than that!

support all the points you made..

I Have done 6 W2W and the standards this year have  definitely droped .

The route is still great but organisation around the event have droped .

The quality of the food and running out of it  very poor .

Toilets not been supervised and therefore becoming dirty and running out of toilet paper .

The water points were the worst ive experience in a stage ride .

CBC had a great bar if you love CBC , very limited choice and I ask who are we serving the riders or those who pay the most to be there .

I saw this happen with Sani2C , where they stopped delivering on their promises and I hope this is not going to happen to W2W as well .

I hope the organisers listen to the criticism going around and make changes so that you can keep W2W as one of the best Cycling event in the country .

That depends on the weather. If cool, then no problem. Maybe .

Looks like a perfect day for the last one, 24 - 22 degrees. hoping for a safe journey especially down the old pass. Safe ride to all, heard about some injuries, one being someone that broke their shoulder on witklippies.

I am up and ready to help get my wife home to Hermanus. Temps look better today.

I am up and ready to help get my wife home to Hermanus. Temps look better today.

Good luck man! Really hope you have a great day riding awesome trails!

Good Luck!

Today's ride will be fun. 

Enjoy it!

The beach is amazing!

Moridin, it's a "fairly easy day", effort wise, not too many bad climbs on the route.

Luckily the weather seems to be playing along.

Go out and enjoy it.

Loved the trails. really really good. Have to agree on the food, not great at all. Walk up ouwapad was awesome, i love history so was cool seeing the grooves of the oxwagon wheels. I packed my takkies and that made ALL the difference. Lots 2 mins changing shoes, neglegable. Was good having real plates and cutlery though compared to epic. Routemarking very good.

Race village is great, compact, well laid out.

Would like to do the event again. 

Archived