Tracking a rider on route

Fouchee

genius !

idea stolen and copied. hopefully the registered trademark fees can be paid in beers

The ICE details can also be put on your bike or GPS and if you have a see through phone cover on a card or piece of paper clearly marked ICE which you then place in your back cover Edited by Fox3

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ICE details can also be put on your bike or GPS and if you have a see through phone cover on a card or piece of paper clearly marked ICE which you then place in your back cover

Some phone also do have a feature that you can programme certain numbers to be phoned without the need to unlock them.  Have done this on my phone, and in practice once picked up a iphone on the Philly race, and luckily the guy did the same, so I could phone his dad to arrange a handover.

most Samsung phones can dial emergency contacts even with the screen locked. Hold down the red phone icon (while phone is locked) and move it outwards as if answering a call. It will open your emergency contacts list.

The problem with anything smartphone based is two fold.

1. You need reception.

2. you need big power batteries.

We tried most of the tracking apps on the play store, they either did not update for about 20 - 30 min at a time, or they updated well, but ate battery time.

The other thing I did not like (tin foil hat stuff), is that why would a tracking app need to access my photo's and contacts and emails etc. And they all were a bugger to try log out of and hence keep battery life sane when not riding.

fabs, is the tracker device which goes into the pocket cannot be tracked by a third party. This only happens through the cell phone app (and all its problems).

The spot 3 device is pricey and a yearly subscription pricey - and they are also not exactly accurate and perfect.

All about what compromise you are willing to make.

So there is an entire industry running on geospatial data and it is growing and becoming more advanced day by day.

For example uber has collected data from their various drivers and use it to give you accurate travel times.

Google does the same with android, where do you think the traffic data is from? Android phones stuck in traffic...

You are tracked a lot more than you realise and geospatial data is a lot more useful than most think. 

Yes there are risks involved-

If I were a criminal shopping for a bike strava would be my first port of call, gear and bikes listed, usual routes and times for training all logged.

Movescount doesn't hide activitites as a default so you can find peoples homes easily.

Tinder gives a distance to another person but no direction- but if you treat that distance as a radius and measure it from 3 locations you can triangulate an exact postion which is scary. 

Facebook has friends nearby on as default so you can track friends with ease-

The converse of this-

Plotting tweets on a map you can see that tweets with things like fees must fall are being tweeted from places where there are no universtities, we can analyse markets to see where products are being used and put them on a map so you can more effectively manage your advertising campaign.

Take strava's heat map to show where most people are cycling

Combine the population density map with the average income data from statsSA to show where there is a large population of high earners.

Plot all bike stores

Then combine it all to find a place where there are lots of high earners, near cycle routes where there are no bicycle stores and you have an opportunity to improve your bicycle store.

So yes spatial data is not always safe, but actually it is changing the world and it can work for you and thankfully the professionals using it are just that, professionals who are accountable, but we need the mass participation in data gathering to help us help you...

Hello All.

The solution lies in this product here.

http://www.tracker.co.za/Pages/For-Myself/Consumer-Products/TrackerActive.aspx

At Cyclelab , the Group Leaders have one of these in their pockets, when they take the groups out.

They are constantly monitored to see where they are at all times.

Should the need arise, there is a "panic" button that can be depressed, and the control centre sees it, and they are able to send a repair vehicle , ambulance etc.

https://www.trackeractive.com/#3

This appears to be free. what's the catch?

So there is an entire industry running on geospatial data and it is growing and becoming more advanced day by day.

For example uber has collected data from their various drivers and use it to give you accurate travel times.

Google does the same with android, where do you think the traffic data is from? Android phones stuck in traffic...

You are tracked a lot more than you realise and geospatial data is a lot more useful than most think. 

If I were a criminal shopping for a bike strava would be my first port of call, gear and bikes listed, usual routes and times for training all logged.

Movescount doesn't hide activitites as a default so you can find peoples homes easily.

Tinder gives a distance to another person but no direction- but if you treat that distance as a radius and measure it from 3 locations you can triangulate an exact postion which is scary. 

The converse of this-

Plotting tweets on a map you can see that tweets with things like fees must fall are being tweeted from places where there are no universtities, we can analyse markets to see where products are being used and put them on a map so you can more effectively manage your advertising campaign.

Combine the population density map with the average income data from statsSA to show where there is a large population of high earners.

Plot all bike stores

Then combine it all to find a place where there are lots of high earners, near cycle routes where there are no bicycle stores and you have an opportunity to improve your bicycle store.

So yes spatial data is not always safe, but actually it is changing the world and it can work for you and thankfully the professionals using it are just that, professionals who are accountable, but we need the mass participation in data gathering to help us help you...

Dave, does this actually work? You've tested it right? Asking for a friend.

Dave, does this actually work? You've tested it right? Asking for a friend.

Scarily yes... I wrote an article about the pros and cons of spatial data and social media a while back, at that stage it worked 100%

Scarily yes... I wrote an article about the pros and cons of spatial data and social media a while back, at that stage it worked 100%

People don't really get that Apple/google share your location all the time, whether you running a 3rd party app or not.

The info is use for few things including:

Plot a Wifi SSID map vs gps location so that other devices can do "estimated" location (triangulate SSID's) without starting up the GPS (which use more battery power)

Even typing on this forum your IP gets logged , which can be mapped back to your home via the above methods without much issue .. 

Just accept that if you use any digital device with internet, they will know where you are, unless you do darkweb stuff (which can be traced as well if you really have time and $)

I know, I am sitting here with a Python code running in the background filtering the twitter stream and plotting the position of certain trends as we post...

The converse of this-

Plot all bike stores

I feel this needs its own topic.