Tracking a rider on route

Fouchee

Good morning guys!

Are there any devices available (other than a cellphone) to keep track of a rider whilst I sit and wait at the finish line??

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which race you asking about? The big races like 947 that have timing mats midway you can track on the racetec app. But otherwise all I know of is livetrack on garmin.

Most new Garmin's have Livetrack function which works quite well.  The rider still needs to have a phone on him though which is linked to the watch/device.

The new Lezyne GPS's also have a live tracking feature. It works great... except that since a recent update the app keeps crashing. As with the Garmin Livetrack feature, the rider still needs their phone with them.

Most new Garmin's have Livetrack function which works quite well.  The rider still needs to have a phone on him though which is linked to the watch/device.

I'm going to correct you here and say it works bloody well. Granted you need a phone on you, but you're not going to get away from that, unless you use the race's timing mats, assuming they have.

If you're going with a cellular dependency, keep signal in mind. Some longer races, esp those mtb stage races may take riders into areas without coverage.

Good morning guys!

Are there any devices available (other than a cellphone) to keep track of a rider whilst I sit and wait at the finish line??

Other than cellphone?  ( Are you meaning 'direct' or via apps, or not at all?)

If your rider doesn't have a cellphone handy, only options left are RF and satellite....?

Edited by Pieter-za

I believe the Apple Watch series 3 comes in two versions. The more expensive one has cellular capabilities, so you can track the watch using a common 'find my phone' app on the watch.

Edited by Christofison

I'm going to correct you here and say it works bloody well. Granted you need a phone on you, but you're not going to get away from that, unless you use the race's timing mats, assuming they have.

If you're going with a cellular dependency, keep signal in mind. Some longer races, esp those mtb stage races may take riders into areas without coverage.

I made use of this during the w2w for my family to track us, and it worked amazingly well as it does not only give you the location of the person, but the KM travelled, the average speed, and the route already done making it easier to see where they are and how far still to go, the only thing was that my battery on my phone did struggle a bit, but after putting it in power saving mode, switching off the non essential functions (wifi / GPS/ sync / etc) it was able to last longer.  And as a backup I took a small powerbank with me.

oh and agree about the cell reception, in some races that might be a problem

So your tracking options either work off cellphone based signal to transmit the position to a database which can be an issue when no cellphone signal, or they work off satellite phone which is only an issue to most bank balances...

My 2c, give the oke a phone and make him share location via google maps. Or get a garmin with live tracking if you need more info. Otherwise speak to the guys at Sportrax for one of their satellite units or get a SPOT. The spot is great as it has an SOS and call for help function.

I made use of this during the w2w for my family to track us, and it worked amazingly well as it does not only give you the location of the person, but the KM travelled, the average speed, and the route already done making it easier to see where they are and how far still to go, the only thing was that my battery on my phone did struggle a bit, but after putting it in power saving mode, switching off the non essential functions (wifi / GPS/ sync / etc) it was able to last longer.  And as a backup I took a small powerbank with me.

oh and agree about the cell reception, in some races that might be a problem

So lately when having livetrack active, my phone after some time disconnects from my garmin. But if I don't start livetrack, they connect(the BT on phone is always left on for car and home) and stay connected. I get a message on my garmin saying phone disconnected. It's irritating. Only started happening since I got the Huawei P10. With my LG G4 prior to this it was faultless.

So lately when having livetrack active, my phone after some time disconnects from my garmin. But if I don't start livetrack, they connect(the BT on phone is always left on for car and home) and stay connected. I get a message on my garmin saying phone disconnected. It's irritating. Only started happening since I got the Huawei P10. With my LG G4 prior to this it was faultless.

my 520 & P9 lite does the same thing.

it connects, but as soon as live track is running it drops the BT connection. i suspect the issue is with the phone not the garmin

my 520 & P9 lite does the same thing.

it connects, but as soon as live track is running it drops the BT connection. i suspect the issue is with the phone not the garmin

I also suspect the phone. But its only when livetrack is running which is what confuses me so it makes me wonder if it's possibly a glitch in the app on these specific phones.