Irishman cycling 12,000km from Cairo to Cape Town November 2018

Are you wanting to see Etosha ? How exactly are you going to get around once in etosha ? Will you hire a car? Go in a tour group ?

Maybe just go in as a day visitor ?

I ask, because another route that may make more sense, would be come in Botswana, travel down to the pans and onto Maun, then up the side of the Delta (past shakakwe) into the Caprivi, but turn left and go to Etosha from the top, then head into central Namibia before heading down.

But I do need to ask, why are you wanting to come down the west coast of South Africa? Yes it is amazing, but have you considered skipping Namibia, and from Botswana going to the east coast where the environment is more tropical, you have the drakensburg, wild coast and then the garden route, which from a cycling perspective might be way more interesting.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, because it depends on the rains.

You do not want to be on the Makgadikgadi Pans during the rainy season. Most of the rains fall during November to March. Riding through the mud will be hell as it is clay mud.

But again, this is all dependant on what roads you plan to be travelling on. If you want to stick to tar, you should be Ok, going onto the dirt roads and tracks - things get a bit hectic.

Also remember the Tour D Afrique would have accommodation sorted months in advance. You may find it tricky to just arrive at a place and camp (especially the parks). Botswana has  shoot first ask later policy on poachers. You do not want to be seen as a poacher with a tent where you should not have one.

I've heard about these rains. Are they really heavy and how long does it rains for? Hours, days? I've read from people that they have to walk when it gets muddy.... No fun! 

Would the Caprivi strip have more tar do you think? 

Also, thanks for the info regarding the Botswana Nat Parks & camping. I'll try find people from Botswana and hopefully some cyclists too. 

I will get all the touring guys on this thread.....they know their way around.

A guy called Kranswurm, knows botswana intimately and used to organise rides up there.

I will get him on here as well to give advice.

mmm Hubber Guy in Pink knows central africa well, will ask him to join in as well.

To add, that Ghanzi to Windhoek route, you need to spend time with google and

openstreetmap.org to look at the real distances.

200km through a desert environment without back up support should not be taken lightly. Water will be an issue, Rather look at Ghanzi to the border and then the border to Windhoek. And remember, this is a major road with some large trucks, not exactly the best way to see a country.

I had lots of desert cycling across USA and I coped well. Just have to bring plenty of food and water. There isn't much else to do but cycle and keep reapplying suncream.

I'll pay special attention to that route, and unfortunately big trucks seem to be an issue in most countries. I can only hope they give me enough room & play nice. 

Are you wanting to see Etosha ? How exactly are you going to get around once in etosha ? Will you hire a car? Go in a tour group ?

Maybe just go in as a day visitor ?

I ask, because another route that may make more sense, would be come in Botswana, travel down to the pans and onto Maun, then up the side of the Delta (past shakakwe) into the Caprivi, but turn left and go to Etosha from the top, then head into central Namibia before heading down.

But I do need to ask, why are you wanting to come down the west coast of South Africa? Yes it is amazing, but have you considered skipping Namibia, and from Botswana going to the east coast where the environment is more tropical, you have the drakensburg, wild coast and then the garden route, which from a cycling perspective might be way more interesting.

I actually didn't even know about Etosha. It looks amazing. I'll see what my schedule is - if I have time I might go up. 

I'm just following the Tour d'Afrique but I'm open to any suggestions of route change. I want to speak to as many people for advice & already you guys are being a massive help!

By the east coast, would you say from Tanzania to head for Mozambique and down along the coastline to South Africa?

Apologies, I meant the east coast of South Africa.

You want to stay out of Mozambique central region for now. Simply because security is a contentious issue, some say it is safe, others not.

You should consider going from Botswana (Maun) into RSA, make your way to Swaziland, and then come down the coast. Incredible country side, and more temperate in nature (in other words, green and not a desert).

The namibian route is a more dry hot route (think desert). But if riding through deserts is your thing - then the Namibian route is the way to go.

The best part of your trip? You have a whole lot of time to decide. Cause you can make up your mind when you in Botswana!

I will get all the touring guys on this thread.....they know their way around.

A guy called Kranswurm, knows botswana intimately and used to organise rides up there.

I will get him on here as well to give advice.

mmm Hubber Guy in Pink knows central africa well, will ask him to join in as well.

Superb, thank you! 

Apologies, I meant the east coast of South Africa.

You want to stay out of Mozambique central region for now. Simply because security is a contentious issue, some say it is safe, others not.

You should consider going from Botswana (Maun) into RSA, make your way to Swaziland, and then come down the coast. Incredible country side, and more temperate in nature (in other words, green and not a desert).

The namibian route is a more dry hot route (think desert). But if riding through deserts is your thing - then the Namibian route is the way to go.

The best part of your trip? You have a whole lot of time to decide. Cause you can make up your mind when you in Botswana!

I could even skip Botswana. It might add too much miles. Rather, I could head for Zimbabwe and then into RSA. I'm keen to avoid the busy roads of Johannesburg & Pretoria. I could aim for Mokopane and shoot down the 11 to Ermelo, onto the 2 to the coastline & take the coastline to Cape Town. But again, I'll need to check if that adds tons more miles to my route. 

I had planned on finishing in Cape Town, flying my girlfriend out and then us both travelling along the coastline ourselves maybe as far as Port Elisabeth.. In a car :D  

Yes, because it depends on the rains.

You do not want to be on the Makgadikgadi Pans during the rainy season. Most of the rains fall during November to March. Riding through the mud will be hell as it is clay mud.

But again, this is all dependant on what roads you plan to be travelling on. If you want to stick to tar, you should be Ok, going onto the dirt roads and tracks - things get a bit hectic.

Also remember the Tour D Afrique would have accommodation sorted months in advance. You may find it tricky to just arrive at a place and camp (especially the parks). Botswana has  shoot first ask later policy on poachers. You do not want to be seen as a poacher with a tent where you should not have one.

What Slowbee said ^^^

Added, I would suggest going straight through the Caprivi (you will most certainly encounter enough elephant) to the Etosha, going around the Etosha (or through the park with a lift) to carry on to Khorixas, then down as per your route. It is senseless going first to Windhoek then back up.

If you going to do this, do it properly.

You don't want to cycle a few thousand miles to say, wow I wish I had gone there.

If you planing on flung a girlfriend out to travel from cape town to the PE, (by car :) ) then do the namibia route. Come down the West Coast of South Africa.

The parts around PE (port Elizabeth) are known as the garden route, and reasonably beautiful!

I do want to add, at this zoom level, your "route" through Botswana is not going to work.

You need to look at the where the parks are situated and if they will allow you through. The "roads" can be helluva sandy and distances between places to big, unless you stick to tar. Either way, you need to check your detail and what you want to achieve.

A better route may be to do the Caprivi strip, then down the side of the delta (lots of camping places), and then from Maun across to Namibia.

Hi

His route will work.He is following the Tour de Afrique route which goes that way and is basically all tar to Windhoek

I will happily give some detail of Botswana but there is a huge amount of information on the riders blogs doing the Tour

I've heard about these rains. Are they really heavy and how long does it rains for? Hours, days? I've read from people that they have to walk when it gets muddy.... No fun! 

Would the Caprivi strip have more tar do you think? 

Also, thanks for the info regarding the Botswana Nat Parks & camping. I'll try find people from Botswana and hopefully some cyclists too.

Excellent tar all the way through Caprivi. Roads (both tar & gravel) in Namibia are of high standards compared to any in South Africa.

You might encounter taxi traffic to the Owambo-region, just plan ...

The Namib desert is spectacular, particularly Damaraland, with safe bush camping, or community camps.

Hi

His route will work.He is following the Tour de Afrique route which goes that way and is basically all tar to Windhoek

I will happily give some detail of Botswana but there is a huge amount of information on the riders blogs doing the Tour

Going through Botswana parks is not an option.First of all the will not allow you.the rangers will turn you around at the gate.

The sand is too heavy

The lions or hyenas will chow you

Makgadigadi pans is doable in the dry season.I have mates who do it every year.And you won't get eaten although I am sure there is the posibility of lion.

From Nata to Lethlakane past Kubu Island then on to Maun past Mopipi all on tar from Lethlakane.If you time it right you can see the zebra migration

Edited by Kranswurm

Just a headsup: Zim is looking like it might go up in smoke shortly..Mugabe just fired his deputy and as a result, army and police are facing each other Not good

I'm in East Cork. Work in the city. So.. If you ever need to just chat about what to do.. Not to do.. What to look out for in Africa.. I'm not that far away.

I'm guessing you've done mizen head to Malin head as part of your preparation too!

I used to do some work at a sugar estate in Moshi, Tanzania.. And they have a backpacker type house in their estate. If you are going through Moshi..I could put you onto them. Good bunch of people

Brilliant, I'll meet you for sure to have a chat. Sometime after the New Year if that suits. 

I actually haven't ridden the Mizen Malin... Not yet. I rode 3000 miles across America last year. 

I pass through Arusha in Tanzania, But Moshi isn't on my route. Google maps says there is 118km between the two places :( A shame! But I'd still be interested on hearing your  thoughts about Tanzania. 

What Slowbee said ^^^

Added, I would suggest going straight through the Caprivi (you will most certainly encounter enough elephant) to the Etosha, going around the Etosha (or through the park with a lift) to carry on to Khorixas, then down as per your route. It is senseless going first to Windhoek then back up.

Seeing Elephant would be an incredible sight... But I heard they run after people if you cross their territory? 

I will most certainly consider the Caprivi route. However Khorixas seems to be out of the way a little. After Etosha, I could head to Oujto and onto the B1 to Windhoek to get back on the Tour d'Afrique route.

If you going to do this, do it properly.

You don't want to cycle a few thousand miles to say, wow I wish I had gone there.

If you planing on flung a girlfriend out to travel from cape town to the PE, (by car :) ) then do the namibia route. Come down the West Coast of South Africa.

The parts around PE (port Elizabeth) are known as the garden route, and reasonably beautiful!

I know, but there is so much to see in Africa, it's tough to fit everything in! I definitely want to do the Victoria Falls in Namibia. 

Hi

I still have to look through their blogs. I've only started planning with a couple of weeks. 

The Botswana route is as follows :

Victoria Falls - Kasane - Nata - Maun - Windhoek via the a3, a2, & b6.

What are your thoughts?