Irishman cycling 12,000km from Cairo to Cape Town November 2018

HI there!

My name is Tomás Mac an t-Saoir. I'm 23 years old and I'm from Ireland. I'm a keen touring cyclist with some experience. Last year I rode 3000 miles across the USA solo & unsupported. 

In November 2018 I will set off from Cairo in Egypt to cycle all the way down to Cape Town. I'm looking for some advice/help. I've been speaking to some people from different African countries on Facebook. I'm looking for advice on countries I'll be passing through. My route is the same as the Tour d'Afrique route. 

Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia, and finally, South Africa.  I hope to arrive in Cape Town around the beginning of March. 

Thank you.

Below is a map of my route:

23131883_1510369349041289_86228087465098

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you read Riaan Manser's book? Around Africa on my Bicycle. Should have all you need to know

I haven't, but I'm just about to order it. Thanks! I'm currently reading Mark Beaumont's book - Africa Solo. Very helpful as well. 

I haven't, but I'm just about to order it. Thanks! I'm currently reading Mark Beaumont's book - Africa Solo. Very helpful as well.

Beaumont knows his stuff... Manser not really a cyclist so it's more of a travel diary.

That sounds like a pretty awesome trip....I haven't done anything that long, but have done fairly extensive touring in South African and Lesotho. This has shown me two things:

-The amount of fun you have while on the bike is inversely proportional to the amount of luggage you have.

- The amount of fun you have while camping is directly proportional to the amount of luggage you have.

So you have to find a balance. I personally think less is always more; you'll be surprised how little stuff you need.

Aside from that, don't over-plan things just go with the flow....

You'll be able to buy food wherever there are people. As far as water goes, remember your purification tablets....

It sounds like an awesome trip, good luck...

Do you have a website ?

Some mechanism of contact ?

March is a long way off - but not so long way off.

Would be be great to get regular updates on here.

Where you currently based in Ireland? I can give you some details to contact for a place to stay in Tanzania and otherwise some general advice for south Africa.. But that's about it

As  Slobee said, website?

Any pics and notes of your bike and gear set-up would be appreciated.

My cousin is busy doing this at the moment, but going to Cairo not down. On a Mecer steel bike too. He is/ was a hubber

I do want to add, at this zoom level, your "route" through Botswana is not going to work.

You need to look at the where the parks are situated and if they will allow you through. The "roads" can be helluva sandy and distances between places to big, unless you stick to tar. Either way, you need to check your detail and what you want to achieve.

A better route may be to do the Caprivi strip, then down the side of the delta (lots of camping places), and then from Maun across to Namibia.

That sounds like a pretty awesome trip....I haven't done anything that long, but have done fairly extensive touring in South African and Lesotho. This has shown me two things:

-The amount of fun you have while on the bike is inversely proportional to the amount of luggage you have.

- The amount of fun you have while camping is directly proportional to the amount of luggage you have.

So you have to find a balance. I personally think less is always more; you'll be surprised how little stuff you need.

Aside from that, don't over-plan things just go with the flow....

You'll be able to buy food wherever there are people. As far as water goes, remember your purification tablets....

It sounds like an awesome trip, good luck...

You're dead right! Touring is a great way to see places & meet people. 

Could you explain a little more about the purification tablets?

Do you have a website ?

Some mechanism of contact ?

March is a long way off - but not so long way off.

Would be be great to get regular updates on here.

I won't be in South Africa until March 2019. I leave Cairo in November 2018. I'm planning this early as I have a lot to get through over the next year! These are my social media's:

Facebook -> https://www.facebook.com/tomasafricacycle/

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/SearsToms

Instragram - searstomas

Where you currently based in Ireland? I can give you some details to contact for a place to stay in Tanzania and otherwise some general advice for south Africa.. But that's about it

I'm based in County Kerry. Have you been to Ireland before?

The contact details for Tanzania would be brilliant, thank you very much. I'm trying to gather as many contacts for each country as possible. I want to meet as many people as I can!

As  Slobee said, website?

Any pics and notes of your bike and gear set-up would be appreciated.

Hey Sepia, I'll be using the following:

Instragram - searstomas

I haven't a bike picked yet. I was hoping to get some advice of you guys regarding bikes. I used a Fuji touring bike during my cycle across America but I don't think it would be suitable for this cycle down Africa.

Yeah - give us some details to follow you... I for one would love to live vicariously through your life for a while

Thanks Eldron! Here are my social media accounts:

Instragram - searstomas

My cousin is busy doing this at the moment, but going to Cairo not down. On a Mecer steel bike too. He is/ was a hubber

Epic! How is he finding it? Anywhere to follow his progress??

Instragram - searstomas

I do want to add, at this zoom level, your "route" through Botswana is not going to work.

You need to look at the where the parks are situated and if they will allow you through. The "roads" can be helluva sandy and distances between places to big, unless you stick to tar. Either way, you need to check your detail and what you want to achieve.

A better route may be to do the Caprivi strip, then down the side of the delta (lots of camping places), and then from Maun across to Namibia.

This is a closer up picture of the Botswana route:

namibia-botswana-uncovered-map_tr48_mapl

And this is what the Tour d'Afrique (I'm copying their route) says on their website about the Botswana stretch:

Botswana is home to some 110,000 elephants that roam through the Kalahari and Chobe National Parks. Don’t be surprised if you have to stop on a highway to allow a family of elephants or a solitary male Bull Elephant to cross at a safe distance!

After camping near the Makgadikgadi Pans Game Reserve you arrive at northern Botswana’s largest town, Maun, for a rest day when you can take a dugout canoe or a small plane ride into the Okavango, the world’s largest inland river delta. The cycling then continues along the Trans-Kalahari Highway, including “the Longest day” at 208 km, towards the border of Namibia, a country whose stunning arid landscapes are one of the world’s best kept secrets.

Would you say take the Caprivi Strip to Shakawe, and then come south to Maun?

I'm based in County Kerry. Have you been to Ireland before?

The contact details for Tanzania would be brilliant, thank you very much. I'm trying to gather as many contacts for each country as possible. I want to meet as many people as I can!

I'm in East Cork. Work in the city. So.. If you ever need to just chat about what to do.. Not to do.. What to look out for in Africa.. I'm not that far away.

I'm guessing you've done mizen head to Malin head as part of your preparation too!

I used to do some work at a sugar estate in Moshi, Tanzania.. And they have a backpacker type house in their estate. If you are going through Moshi..I could put you onto them. Good bunch of people

This is a closer up picture of the Botswana route:

namibia-botswana-uncovered-map_tr48_mapl

And this is what the Tour d'Afrique (I'm copying their route) says on their website about the Botswana stretch:

Botswana is home to some 110,000 elephants that roam through the Kalahari and Chobe National Parks. Don’t be surprised if you have to stop on a highway to allow a family of elephants or a solitary male Bull Elephant to cross at a safe distance!

After camping near the Makgadikgadi Pans Game Reserve you arrive at northern Botswana’s largest town, Maun, for a rest day when you can take a dugout canoe or a small plane ride into the Okavango, the world’s largest inland river delta. The cycling then continues along the Trans-Kalahari Highway, including “the Longest day” at 208 km, towards the border of Namibia, a country whose stunning arid landscapes are one of the world’s best kept secrets.

Would you say take the Caprivi Strip to Shakawe, and then come south to Maun?

Yes, because it depends on the rains.

You do not want to be on the Makgadikgadi Pans during the rainy season. Most of the rains fall during November to March. Riding through the mud will be hell as it is clay mud.

But again, this is all dependant on what roads you plan to be travelling on. If you want to stick to tar, you should be Ok, going onto the dirt roads and tracks - things get a bit hectic.

Also remember the Tour D Afrique would have accommodation sorted months in advance. You may find it tricky to just arrive at a place and camp (especially the parks). Botswana has  shoot first ask later policy on poachers. You do not want to be seen as a poacher with a tent where you should not have one.

To add, that Ghanzi to Windhoek route, you need to spend time with google and

openstreetmap.org to look at the real distances.

200km through a desert environment without back up support should not be taken lightly. Water will be an issue, Rather look at Ghanzi to the border and then the border to Windhoek. And remember, this is a major road with some large trucks, not exactly the best way to see a country.