Irishman cycling 12,000km from Cairo to Cape Town November 2018

No you are crossing the Makgadigadi Pans.The remnants of a once huge inland sea

You branch off the Nata Maun road outside Nata and travel south along a ridge heading due south for Kubu Island which is an ancient Island conglomeration of knarled Baobab trees rocks and ruins where you camp.Very eery as spirits roam the ruins at night,or so folklore says.Very well known 4 x 4 stop.def mtb though.From there to Lethlakane you cross the pan and stick to the track.

If the Pans are still flooded from summer rains you cancel the whole idea and head for Maun

Get yourself a decent Michelin Map so you can get some perspective

There are 3 to make up Africa

That sounds epic, but I won't be using a mountain bike for this trip. It'll more of a cycle-cross bicycle but I haven't looked at bikes just yet. I'll check out the Michelin Map, sound for the recommendation! 

Great route with lodges all along the way with camp sites and a bar.All tar.Plenty of ellies buffalo and giraffe between Kasane and  on the way to Nata

Bots Elephant are fine.It's the Tuli Block ellies that don't like bikes.

And you have to do Vic Falls so you can do the white water rafting.Best grade 5 rapids in the world.whole day

Good to get the thumps up from you regarding the route & the added info. How much would it cost to camp at the camp sites?

I will most certainly take a day off at the Victoria Falls. My girlfriend's parents were there in August and they Loved it

P.s. also have a mate who was a game ranger in Tanzania and Kenya... He'll definitely be able to give you some top tips.

Be good to chat in the new year.

I'm super jealous!

That's fantastic - his information would be very useful!

Hey, I should have been more specific - I meant water purification tablets (Iodine or similar). There will be many times when your drinking water will come from seriously dodgy sources and you really don't want to risk gippo guts or worse....

Not at all - I've read of many people getting upset stomachs & worse due to dodgy water... The tablets will be a big help - thanks!!

What Slowbee means is, what is your instagram handle?

searstoms

Here is another resource to try make contact with. He rode most of Africa unsupported. His travel diary's will be worth reading. 

http://fatkidonabike.com/

Ideal - thank you!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another point of reference is:

http://www.afrikalegburn.com/

Guy rode Cairo to CT this year

His website his superb - this will be a great help - cheers for sharing pal !

There is some decent wildlife on that road north of Maun to the Caprivi. The last time I drove it, there was a guy on a bicycle who had stopped and was waving us down. I thought it was odd until I spotted the pride of 16 lions about 50 meters further up the road. I have never seen a pride that large anywhere before. And this was not in a 'park', it was just on the normal road about 20km out of town

Wow, amazing. They didn't bother ye? Guessing it was a great sight but a little scary!?!

Hey Thomas.

I work for tour d afrique.i am currently leading one of their tours across Asia.I did the Cairo to CapeTown in 2012...a few things have changed, but I can help you out if you want information.

It is a classic route, you will love it. Asphalt 85% of the way, or 100% if you dont go off the main routes.

Shoot me up an email.

Doug

Epic, thank you very much Doug , I'll private message you! 

That sounds epic, but I won't be using a mountain bike for this trip. It'll more of a cycle-cross bicycle but I haven't looked at bikes just yet. I'll check out the Michelin Map, sound for the recommendation! 

Good to get the thumps up from you regarding the route & the added info. How much would it cost to camp at the camp sites?

I will most certainly take a day off at the Victoria Falls. My girlfriend's parents were there in August and they Loved it

Not at all - I've read of many people getting upset stomachs & worse due to dodgy water... The tablets will be a big help - thanks!!

searstoms

Ideal - thank you!

Followed

How long are you planning on taking for the trip?

120 days. 100 cycling days averaging 120km per day, and 20 days off... But this will change as I'm cycling in Africa.. It's just a rough guide to start with. But factor in bike trouble, delays at borders, weather, sickness etc...

Edited by Tuckersears07

120 days. 100 cycling days averaging 120km per day, and 20 days off... But this will change as I'm cycling in Africa.. It's just a rough guide to start with. But factor in bike trouble, delays at borders, weather, sickness etc...

Fantastic

We hubber loves following dots on screens..Will you have some sort of tracking we can follow.

Sjoe..you really are planing on hitting Afirca during the hottest months....

Techni block for the arms neck and legs ..Tribal sun (stick) for the face..Will give protection without having the sunblock run in your eyes[emoji14]..

Good luck..Will try follow your progress o the various social media platforms.609a21970ebabacca75184ca13cea6a6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

searstoms

Ideal - thank you!

Then forget the Pans or any off road stuff in Bots.Stick to the tar

Fantastic

We hubber loves following dots on screens..Will you have some sort of tracking we can follow.

Sjoe..you really are planing on hitting Afirca during the hottest months....

Techni block for the arms neck and legs ..Tribal sun (stick) for the face..Will give protection without having the sunblock run in your eyes[emoji14]..

Good luck..Will try follow your progress o the various social media platforms.

A tracker would be a great idea.... I'll be speaking to someone who will hopefully design a website for me - a live tracker would be a nice addition! 

But if I don;t have a live tracker I'll be updating my Facebook (Tomás' Africa Cycle) , Twitter (@SearsToms) & instagram (searstomas)...

Thanks for the sun block info. How hot does it get around South Africa in Feb/March?

A tracker would be a great idea.... I'll be speaking to someone who will hopefully design a website for me - a live tracker would be a nice addition!

But if I don;t have a live tracker I'll be updating my Facebook (Tomás' Africa Cycle) , Twitter (@SearsToms) & instagram (searstomas)...

Thanks for the sun block info. How hot does it get around South Africa in Feb/March?

Very hot..you can easily expect to reach temps into the 40's at some point...especially going through the Karoo

Also don't forget about a spf lip balm ..Hey.. someone has to be the mother around here.[emoji23][emoji23][emoji6]

Very hot..you can easily expect to reach temps into the 40's at some point...especially going through the Karoo

Also don't forget about a spf lip balm ..Hey.. someone has to be the mother around here.[emoji23][emoji23][emoji6]

It reached 38.7 celcius when I cycled across America... I coped well enough with the heat considering I'm from Ireland :D But 40's will be another test. Lots of water! 

Haha, your advice is greatly appreciated! I destroyed my lower lip for a spell in America and it was very sore to eat... I'd rather if that didn't happen again

It reached 38.7 celcius when I cycled across America... I coped well enough with the heat considering I'm from Ireland :D But 40's will be another test. Lots of water!

Haha, your advice is greatly appreciated! I destroyed my lower lip for a spell in America and it was very sore to eat... I'd rather if that didn't happen again

Good to know your body is good to go in high temps ..[emoji1303][emoji1303]

730f6ab076089848968934cccb5e7a75.jpg

Zam Buk is my go to for any lip ailment..it isn't SPF but it sure helps sooth damaged lips.. dirt cheap and easy to carry around [emoji23]

Oh hell before I forget.. but if you haven't (and I am sure you have) just check the malaria areas and take precaution.

Oh hell before I forget.. but if you haven't (and I am sure you have) just check the malaria areas and take precaution.

I've heard of cyclists take the anti maleria tablets yet they still suffered from maleria...