Road tyre punctures during 947?

Mr lee

Was just curious to find out what people found to be the reason for their punctures on road tyres at the 947 seeing as though many mentioned this as the reason for being held back!

i.e. glass, thorns, pinch flats, holes, plastic, squished bars, goo packets....

Please list tyres used as well  ;)  :thumbup:  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brad Potgieter (pro for RoadCover) got a puncture 15k from the end (or so says his Strava). I reckon they ride tubbies, so take your pick what it might be.

Oke that rode with us in A got a front wheel puncture while we were going at least 38-40kph along the highway. Needless to say he fell, hard. Thankfully no one followed him. Are you OK if you're reading this?

Only noticed a few roadbikes with punctures. However the guys who had road tyres on their MTB's had many!!! Counted 5 punctured tubes around the one guy's body.

On my MTB I had a front puncture due to a nail. Pulled it out, plugged in minute or 2 and life went on. THANK YOU TUBELESS!!

Continental Gators 700 x 23C pumped to 8 bar, no punctures.

One poor guy in L group got a flat on the first hill out Steyn City. 

Brad Potgieter (pro for RoadCover) got a puncture 15k from the end (or so says his Strava). I reckon they ride tubbies, so take your pick what it might be.

Oke that rode with us in A got a front wheel puncture while we were going at least 38-40kph along the highway. Needless to say he fell, hard. Thankfully no one followed him. Are you OK if you're reading this?

eina!!!  :huh: Yeah hope he is ok but I can only imagine how it feels to fall on tar at that speed.....I just hope it stays like that  :whistling:

What amazes me is that it seems the further back you start the more likely you are to have had a puncture. Bad luck, or maintenance issues because of less time spent riding/caring for your bike?

What amazes me is that it seems the further back you start the more likely you are to have had a puncture. Bad luck, or maintenance issues because of less time spent riding/caring for your bike?

The guys closer to the front rider closer to the middle of the road.  They guys further back would venture closer to the curb, where all the broken glass/debris/etc. end up.

Time to go tubeless.  Pricey upgrade but it s the future.  Especially now with 25mm and 28mm tyres.  I'm running Giant SLR's with Gavia tubless and it is the bomb.  Got a major puncture on a club ride recently, bombed it and got home with no problems.  Still going 2 months later.

On another ride, it sealed so quickly, I didn't even have to stop!

Just remember to top up the sealant after every puncture and to carry a tube and bomb....just in case!

Conti Grand Prix 4000S2 700x25. No punctures thank goodness! They are a bitch to get off my carbon rims.

There were loads of people on the side of the road fixing punctures  - more so than normal? 

I had knobblies - no issues thankfully

25mm Gp4000s, no issues. Remember to ride in the centre of the roads when you have full closure, and not through the dirt like we do on training rides.

Archived