Road tyre punctures during 947?

Mr lee

What amazes me is that it seems the further back you start the more likely you are to have had a puncture. Bad luck, or maintenance issues because of less time spent riding/caring for your bike?

People don't pump their tyres hard enough because they don't want a bumpy ride. Plain and simple.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vittoria Rubino Pro III 25c, 0 punctures.

Matter of fact I have not had a single puncture in a grand total of 6 94.7 races...- I guess it’s a bit of luck as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People don't pump their tyres hard enough because they don't want a bumpy ride. Plain and simple.

Suffered this indignation in the days I still used a bike pump. Now use a floor pump and have FARRRR less puncture issues.

Also ...

Deflate my tires at least once a month and pinch all round to check for embedded glass. ALWAYS find few little slivers (like little diamonds) in the tread. Remove them with a blunt pointy needle and pinch again and fill hole with super glue. Rarely have punctures these days. This advice I got from a semi-pro working at a LBS.

as a noob roadie i would have thought that running a 'lower' pressure would cause less punctures? my wife and I run 6bar conti silkworms, 700/23c and we haven't had a puncture yet... been riding have done over 900km's now . touch wood :whistling:

edit: no punctures on 94.7

Edited by duanelr

Our roads have an inordinate amount of glass on them.

Some useful tips:

-the night before a big event, (unless you have fitted new tires of course) deflate each tire and pick out any glass shards that may be lurking in the many small cuts you will find in the rubber. Often its these glassy bits that chafe away through the rubber on each revolution and end in a puncture.

-Avoid riding left of the yellow line in the breakdown lane during a race if you can. most glass bits and other flotsam and jetsom get blown into this zone waiting to cut your tire. On the normal road surface you are less likely to pick up these bits as they are gathered up and worn away by the cars and other vehicles using the road on a daily basis.

-Rain often washes out shards from their deep crevices setting them up to puncture your rubber.

-If you do puncture, remember to run your had around the inside of the tire once the tube is removed, to check for spikes,glass,steelwool,thorns that are dying to puncture your newly fitted spare within a km or two.

-remember to tighten the removable valve ends in your spare tubes before you put them in your saddlebag/pocketses. Especially if you carry bombs. nothing worse than fitting your spare tube, attaching the bomb and applicator, pfffft, and then when removing the icy cold applicator the valve stem comes out with it and you have a nice fresh flat to change. Sans one bomb and one spare tube.

- Dont let your mind wonder by being mezmirized by the wheel infront of you and missing the tar divot / cateye that jumps out at the last minute. The resulting pinch flat and possibly even worse damage to your carbon rim might be catastrophic. stay focused.

Edited by Li Mu Bai

Not going to mention my tire combo, because Patches had a lot of punctures on them. And his friend even more. So statistically speaking, don't ride Spez Turbo's if you are Patches' friend. Else, you should be ok (touch wood).

got a thorn in my tyre during my warm-up.  fortunately i saw it way ahead of my chute's load time and i got it fixed up with the help of someone's floor pump.  (i was dropped off at the race)  fortunately i had no issues during the race.  the guys ahead of me pointed out all the potholes and cracks in the road.

I have Conti's GP 4000S II's.

I saw about 5/6 people with punctures within 10km from the start (Group E)

it amazes me that the OP asked the reason for punctures and people respond that they didn't get punctures.   :ph34r:

Edited by billygoat0523

Vittoria Rubino Pro III 25c, 0 punctures.

Matter of fact I have not had a single puncture in a grand total of 6 94.7 races...- I guess it’s a bit of luck as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmmm that is tempting fate my friend [emoji6]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Not going to mention my tire combo, because Patches had a lot of punctures on them. And his friend even more. So statistically speaking, don't ride Spez Turbo's if you are Patches' friend. Else, you should be ok (touch wood).

I can confirm. Never had any issues until I mentioned my combo on another thread and read Patches reply. Had my first puncture running that combo the next day. And no, I'm not even joking.

Edited by the_roadie

it amazes me that the OP asked the reason for punctures and people respond that they didn't get punctures.   :ph34r:

It's fine, every little bit of info helps no matter which side of the question it falls on  :thumbup:

Mechanical issues (rear seized hub) prevented me from even making the start line.

As a result, no punctures  :clap:  :clap: Michelin Endurance Pro V4

To those in the know, what could cause a seized hub? Wheel was fine Saturday when prepping everything. Only thing I can think of is that it must of bumped on the bike rack??

Done 14 CC's and only had one puncture in all these years. Had a pinch flat as I rode over one of those cateyes. My first bike had these low budget tyres and never had an issue with them during the race.

I rode with Kenda's with cheap tubes for 6 years, and only had one puncture. Thankfully on my way from the race finish to my car at the Stellies Tour 2 years ago. Can't blame the tyre though. It was caused by an aluminium burr at the join point of the rim (Campy Eurus). The tape that covered the join came loose.