How bad is Sora, really?

Kalahari Vegmot

Out of interest, what is 'without proper STI shifting'? Downtube shifters?

As I understand STI - Shimano Total Integration - is combined brake and gear levers. Life is so much easier with them, but many of us used downtube, or bar end shifters, as kids, and still on occasion now too. A bit old-school for most beginners who might need to confidence of STIs, and could do without the 'stigma' of downtube shifters perhaps?

'Proper sti's' are shifters that don't have that thumb shifter thingie.

Out of interest, what is 'without proper STI shifting'? Downtube shifters?

As I understand STI - Shimano Total Integration - is combined brake and gear levers. Life is so much easier with them, but many of us used downtube, or bar end shifters, as kids, and still on occasion now too. A bit old-school for most beginners who might need to confidence of STIs, and could do without the 'stigma' of downtube shifters perhaps?

The older Sora levers had a main shift lever for upshifts and a Campy-style thumb paddle for downshifts. Proper STI levers (stands for Shimano Total Integration, not Sexually Transmitted Infection... good luck reading that right ever again) use the main brake lever for upshifts and the secondary paddle behind it for downshifts.

Start on it, if they start moaning upgrade.

Dont make the mistake of over capitalising on a beginner, who could quit cycling in a week or two.

listen to the above advice...

I borrowed my dad's 8spd Sora equipped Giant OCR3 in about 2001. I never gave it back and must have done 30 000km+ on it before selling ti last year.

I treated the bike like crap, it kept on going.

nothing wrong with that gruppo

That my exact indoor trainer set up, OCR 3 and Sora.

My wife cycled with 8 speed sora for 5 years. up to feb this year. 

No problem ever.  One chain drop. 

The only thing she complained about was the gear ratios on the casette which was a 11/28, so there was a few bigger jumps, and one would be to heavy and the next one to light. 

But she adaptedand changed her riding style. She upgraded to 105 in feb. 

• 1 month later...