Slick tyre choice on MTB

FirstV8

I have bought a pair of Conti's with tubes off the HUB and collecting today . Ill fit them without tubes first and pump with a compressor and see it they hold pressure before putting sealant in .Im quite happy to ride with tubes as im not into weight saving ,i just want a easier rolling tyre while training on the road . I presume tyre pressure will be the same as on MTB tyres . I ride 3bar front and 3.5bar back . 

No!

Tyre pressure is a function of the air volume inside and your weight. Narrower tyres (less volume) must be inflated to a higher pressure or you will pinch flat.

3 bar on MTB tyres are also way too high.

Im quite happy to ride with tubes as im not into weight saving ,i just want a easier rolling tyre while training on the road . I presume tyre pressure will be the same as on MTB tyres . I ride 3bar front and 3.5bar back . 

You can run any road tyre on a 29 inch rim. The narrower the tyre the higher required pressure and obviously the opposite the wider you go.

Your challenge is the max pressure rating of a MTB rim.  Many cannot handle the pressure  a 23c or 25c tyre needs but when you get to 28, 30 or 32c tyre you can find a sweet spot. where you can run road bike tyres at pressures the rims can handle.

I have bought a pair of Conti's with tubes off the HUB and collecting today . Ill fit them without tubes first and pump with a compressor and see it they hold pressure before putting sealant in .Im quite happy to ride with tubes as im not into weight saving ,i just want a easier rolling tyre while training on the road . I presume tyre pressure will be the same as on MTB tyres . I ride 3bar front and 3.5bar back . 

Even using "tubeless" tires they DO deflate if you dont use sealant !

I inflated the tires, just to get it into shape.

We left on holiday two days later.  So I did not put slime in before going away. 

Got back, and did the following:

- remove the tire from the bead

- soapy brush and painted between the tire and rim ...

- rebeaded with air

- removed the valve core

- added slime

- re-fitted the valve and pumped up to 3bar (or more)

- put the tire on the side and sloshed it about the make sure the sealant got to all possible leaks, turn around and repeat ....  I repeated this step a couple of times.

I fitted the Conti Slicks  without tubes on the Giant rims . Cleaned the tyre bead and rim and put the tyre on leaving a small gap to pour 100ml of sealant in . Lifted the tyre onto the rim and hit it with a bomb to get instant inflation . Pumped the tyre with a barrel pump to 4 bar .  Rolled the sealant around in the tyre and only had a few areas with small amounts pushing out . Two hours later and the tyre is still at 4 bar and has  settled on the rim and runs true with no wobbles . Ill ride the wheels tomorrow and report back . 

I rode the wheels with the slick tyres ( tubeless) and found them a lot faster than the knobbly tyres . I did not have my computer connected as i need to put a sensor on the front wheel so could not gauge the difference in time and speed for my 20km ride . It definitely feels faster as i had to brake harder on the one downhill bend . I pumped them 4 bar but found that a bit hard so will go down to 3.5 bar for tomorrow . I have bought a second cassette 10 to 34 to use on these wheels so ill be able ride with roadies on Sundays . 

The jury is out , they are definitely faster . I did a 25km in 56min with an average of 26,6kph . All round the slicks perform better on tar than knobbly's . Easier to get up to speed and stay there on flat road , climbs are that much enjoyable as your speed drops less , down hills well do i need to say it, awesome speed and cornering is that much faster as you can go infast and not have that initial slide  that you get with knobbly's  . I rode them at 3,5bar front and back .

The jury is out , they are definitely faster . I did a 25km in 56min with an average of 26,6kph . All round the slicks perform better on tar than knobbly's . Easier to get up to speed and stay there on flat road , climbs are that much enjoyable as your speed drops less , down hills well do i need to say it, awesome speed and cornering is that much faster as you can go infast and not have that initial slide  that you get with knobbly's  . I rode them at 3,5bar front and back .

Just wait until you try a real road bike ...  ;)

Nice! I am actually also tempted to get slicks for my MTB (separate wheelset) as I do 70% of my training on tar.

Do it , you will enjoy the freedom 

Just wait until you try a real road bike ...  ;)

I rode road for 35 years so know very well the feeling of rolling along at speed .

You need the sealant to make them seal, it is a pointless exercise otherwise. Just do it, Weight weenies have been running non tubeless MTB tyres as tubeless for years already. The only issue with that is some tyres MTB have issues with pinholes in the sidewalls, but a bit of tlc and that is also managed.

But without sealant it is a waste of time.

You need the sealant to make them seal, it is a pointless exercise otherwise. Just do it, Weight weenies have been running non tubeless MTB tyres as tubeless for years already. The only issue with that is some tyres MTB have issues with pinholes in the sidewalls, but a bit of tlc and that is also managed.

But without sealant it is a waste of time.

I put extra sealant in just in case the beading was a bit more  uneven on the rim . IT squeezed out in a few spots but not that much more than tubeless tyres . They stay up well , i only pumped them once since doing the conversion . 

Archived