Slick tyre choice on MTB

FirstV8

I want to buy a pair of slick ( road ) tyres for a second set of wheels that i am going to use for road training . I pooped into a LBS in Edenvale and was told that you do not get slicks in tubeless . The choice also seemed a bit shetchy as only Kenda was mentioned .Surely Maxxis , Schwalbe , Conti or Mitchilin would also be available or  am i the only fool wanting to enjoy a smoother ride with less friction on the road while training . 

I want to buy a pair of slick ( road ) tyres for a second set of wheels that i am going to use for road training . I pooped into a LBS in Edenvale and was told that you do not get slicks in tubeless . The choice also seemed a bit shetchy as only Kenda was mentioned .Surely Maxxis , Schwalbe , Conti or Mitchilin would also be available or  am i the only fool wanting to enjoy a smoother ride with less friction on the road while training . 

I hope you apologised

Probably why you got a sh1tty answer

I have been looking for my commute bike.  Every single Bikeshop said it does not exist ...

Then found the following two options :

Schwalby -  Schwalbe Marathon Mondail - 

BUT, after my last set of Schwalbe I really dont like the sidewalls !!!  Either pumped rock hard, or the tire flex around a corner is downright scary !!

Apparently Giant also has a MTB slick tubeless tire

now to find a place that sells it ....

I have been looking for my commute bike.  Every single Bikeshop said it does not exist ...

Then found the following two options :

Schwalby -  Schwalbe Marathon Mondail - 

BUT, after my last set of Schwalbe I really dont like the sidewalls !!!  Either pumped rock hard, or the tire flex around a corner is downright scary !!

Apparently Giant also has a MTB slick tubeless tire

now to find a place that sells it ....

I have been using these:

- continental city contact (not tubeless)

Never had a problem, till this weekend when they got a puncture (my bad that I have not replace the innertube recently and the slime was running low)

post-65102-0-98606100-1512492833_thumb.jpg

I have been using these:

- continental city contact (not tubeless)

Never had a problem, till this weekend when they got a puncture (my bad that I have not replace the innertube recently and the slime was running low)

Rode these tubeless for many miles.  No problem.

Rode these tubeless for many miles.  No problem.

So you used a "not tubeless" as a "tubeless" .... 

Did you just take a chance on it ?

Or was there some logic to your decision ?

What are the actual differences between "not tubeless" vs "Tubeless" vs "tubeless ready" ?

if it is a 29 inch wheel, get yourself a set of 25c, 28c or 32c gatorskins. They work perfectly, albeit I have not run them tubeless

So you used a "not tubeless" as a "tubeless" .... 

Did you just take a chance on it ?

Or was there some logic to your decision ?

What are the actual differences between "not tubeless" vs "Tubeless" vs "tubeless ready" ?

I fitted them tubeless and they seated well.  Used them locally first as a test and they seemed fine.

Used them from Ladybrand to Agulhas over several days (Gravel and tar) and they were ideal for the purpose.

Even dropped the pressures due to corrugations in the road.

Maybe I was lucky?

Logic?  I have none.  They just looked tough and seated well with no bleeding.  Tubes?   I try and stay away from tubes where possible.

I fitted them tubeless and they seated well.  Used them locally first as a test and they seemed fine.

Used them from Ladybrand to Agulhas over several days (Gravel and tar) and they were ideal for the purpose.

Even dropped the pressures due to corrugations in the road.

Maybe I was lucky?

Logic?  I have none.  They just looked tough and seated well with no bleeding.  Tubes?   I try and stay away from tubes where possible.

Did you put the sealant in as well ? 

If your rims are 29er and not too wide, you can fit almost any road tyre.

The jury is still out on running tubeless on the road. Not popular amongst roadies - yet.

If you have tubeless ready rims, it does not mean you HAVE to run tubeless.

I have bought a pair of Conti's with tubes off the HUB and collecting today . Ill fit them without tubes first and pump with a compressor and see it they hold pressure before putting sealant in .Im quite happy to ride with tubes as im not into weight saving ,i just want a easier rolling tyre while training on the road . I presume tyre pressure will be the same as on MTB tyres . I ride 3bar front and 3.5bar back . 

Archived