Pedal -> shoe contact

BaGearA

Story goes I've got those very 2FO shoes and shimano Xt cage pedals 

Now the shoes does not make contact with the platform at all ( greyish spots) and it also has some significant float( side to side play when cleated in ) 

I thought Dx pedals would solve that but there's still A gap between the shoe and "platform" once in the pedals.

Is this normal ? i'd really like A more solid feel once I'm in the pedals cause now it feels like I'm litterally only resting on the tiny area of the cleat it self.

Interesting fact , I've got the 2015 Xc sworks shoes and they do infact make contact with the platform and feel super solid however I can't take them anywhere I might be walking cause I'll destroy them on the rocks up here 

Help ?

post-46013-0-97780500-1512739112_thumb.jpg

post-46013-0-20348600-1512739127_thumb.png

post-46013-0-24549300-1512739143_thumb.png

Had this discussion yesterday,

What i was told a soft sole'd shoe will make more contact than a stiffer one, but the benefits are that will walking and foot out corners.

I too feel the same with my carbon sole shoes on xt trail pedals and thought about getting the dx paddles, however the shimano am7 shoes I'm currently riding are as you say better for walking and i told mind putting my foot out when needing to destroy the beautiful trails we have here in Cape Town

So, the point is, you going to be told if you want the flats feeling, get flats

If you want the clips feeling, there is nothing wrong with either the dx nor the xt trail paddles

So, the point is, you going to be told if you want the flats feeling, get flats

If you want the clips feeling, there is nothing wrong with either the dx nor the xt trail paddles

Waiting for those comments 

Yep agreed, flats work the best for me. I feel alot more secure and stable. Also my feet are positioned more back than forward like with cleats. Hence I am staying with flats. 

Is diff for everyone tho

Yep agreed, flats work the best for me. I feel alot more secure and stable. Also my feet are positioned more back than forward like with cleats. Hence I am staying with flats. 

Is diff for everyone tho

I like feeling connected to the bike ( different strokes) I just want to feel more support around the cleat area rather than just over the cleat area 

and it drives me nuts that Xc shoes deliver that but the gravity don't .... ahhhhg 

What about Crank Bro Mallets?

p5pb8604919.jpg

http://www.ridemorebikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/best-mountain-bike-pedals.jpg

I see allot of the UCI guys use them - maybe I am mistaken.

By the sounds of it the cleat pocket on the 2FO is not deep enough to offer sole contact with shimano pedals. Perhaps changing pedals to something like the mallet E is the way to go, like Eddy suggests, since these have different sized spacers you can fit to the outer edge of the platform. Obviously not a cheap fix.

What is your cleat position like? Does pushing the cleats backwards make any difference? Trying to recess the cleat too deep into the pocket may create issues with cleat engagement though, which would get frustrating if you're after quick clip in clip out. So it seems the options are new pedals, new shoes...or flats!

don't want to go with crank brothers cause they're soft and the cleats wear out crazy fast.

I'm considering funn pedals 

Its more a shoe problem than a pedal problem.

You can try S-tracks with a cage. The cleats come with spacers to change the depth

I had the exact same issue with my 5.10s and Shimano XT trail pedals. The only contact was on the actual cleat which gave alot of float and resulted in me being cleated out everytime I cornered hard. Also developed pain and numbness in my feet after 30mins of riding.

The solution came in the form of some Crankbrothers Mallet E pedals. Propper contact and a great pedal all round.

I will be replacing the Mallet E's with Funn Mamba pedals soon, the Mallets were bought before I became the importer for Funn, and I can't exactly be riding other brands on my bike haha. The Funn Mamba also have a lekker big platform and use an spd interface, quite a bit more durable than Cranbros pedals IMO.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

I had the exact same issue with my 5.10s and Shimano XT trail pedals. The only contact was on the actual cleat which gave alot of float and resulted in me being cleated out everytime I cornered hard. Also developed pain and numbness in my feet after 30mins of riding.

The solution came in the form of some Crankbrothers Mallet E pedals. Propper contact and a great pedal all round.

I will be replacing the Mallet E's with Funn Mamba pedals soon, the Mallets were bought before I became the importer for Funn, and I can't exactly be riding other brands on my bike haha. The Funn Mamba also have a lekker big platform and use an spd interface, quite a bit more durable than Cranbros pedals IMO.

If you're looking for someone to test out some Mamba's I'm ready ????

If you're looking for someone to test out some Mamba's I'm ready

My 2C FWIW.....I ride clipless...

Mallets (3) ...nice positive clamp, too much float, even on lowest tension, struggled to unclip quickly, in a box on my workbench in good nick, just couldn't get used to them....

Funn Mamba's....nice big platform, good grip but cleats felt tight, struggled to unclip, almost felt like edges of clips were un-machined, sharp, rough....float adjuster just didn't work...it was either fully tensioned or fully loose, no in-between....eventually fell apart as one side of the clips lost on the trail

Shimano SPD DX...FTW...good, solid clamp, settings for float do work and un-clipping is smooth and instant...after 3 trips to France, bearings starting to show play.....(Father Christmas knows what he's doing this year!!)....

BTW all 3 have good shoe-pedal contact (5-10 Hellcats)....