Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2018

BigDL

Wish I could commute. Alas, no chance. 

Same here.

I used to be able to, a few years ago, when the crime wasn't so bad in the area where I work. It would be okay to ride the distance to work and back again, but there's a good chance I would be bike jacked - possibly a few meters from my workplace. And when you have security guards who confirm that a bicycle will be taken with force, then I would rather not take the chance.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I noticed this month.. From around the Argus MTB Challenge in March I did long races almost every weekend or every second weekend ranging from 70 to 120km. Then during the week I would rest up for the next race and maybe go for one short ride of 20km between them. My weight basically stayed the same from March to end September. Since Karoo 2 Coast I decided to cool it a bit with races for the rest of the year and shifted to rather doing 20km-40km rides 6-7days a week. I think that's what's making the big difference now and kick started the weight loss again.

I dont race anymore but train 6 days a week . Mon, Tues Wed  i do 35km daily (road ) Thurs 60km Fri 0 Sat 70/80 km. (Off road ) Sun 40 km (road fast ) .That has been my routine since i started  in July last year doing less km's and finally getting to my 1000 +_ km per month . Doing lower km's but more regularly is more beneficial . I ride the same circuit daily so i change my intensity ,by either spinning , pushing hard or a combination of both on the route .My off road routes differ on every ride as we have a lot of farms we ride through . My one training partner is only 60 kg and very fit . When he puts the hammer down on a climb i hook his wheel and stay with him for as long as possible . Having done this since starting to ride with him i am now able to stay at least 80 % of each climb we attempt .( i will beat him one day up a climb ) . 

down 1.6 to 91.9 this morning.

Will be an easy week training wise, as we hiking 4 days in the Berg from Thursday.

Now the challenge to pack healthy meals that can be cooked on the mountains.

We usually have easy oats for breakfast, and noodles/pasta for lunch or dinner.

I am vegetarian which makes it a lil more difficult but think I'm going to try future life, with some banana's and nuts/dried fruit.

• 2 weeks later...

Havent seen triple figues since i dropped below the 100 kg mark a while back...been hovering around the 98 kg mark...decided to go back to cadence on thursday last week...mobility and flexibility class on friday...then 200 km on the weekend...weighed myself yesterday morning 100.2 kg :(

i committed to a group ride a while back...before i bumped my head...laughed it off thinking i would be out for a while longer...good news is we have a meeting tonight to discuss logisitcs. 

Tested my pain threshold this morning...it is amazing how much you can endure if your mind is in the right place...a full 2 hour pedal with 2 cadence session back2back... down to 98 kg :) and that was after drinking 2 litres of water.

Havent seen triple figues since i dropped below the 100 kg mark a while back...been hovering around the 98 kg mark...decided to go back to cadence on thursday last week...mobility and flexibility class on friday...then 200 km on the weekend...weighed myself yesterday morning 100.2 kg :(

i committed to a group ride a while back...before i bumped my head...laughed it off thinking i would be out for a while longer...good news is we have a meeting tonight to discuss logisitcs. 

Tested my pain threshold this morning...it is amazing how much you can endure if your mind is in the right place...a full 2 hour pedal with 2 cadence session back2back... down to 98 kg :) and that was after drinking 2 litres of water.

short term losses after sweating like a pig doesnt count :w00t: :whistling: .

Calorie counting for 6 weeks now. 900km and 14 000m elevation gain on the bike also in this period. Dropped from 105.8kg to 97.8kg. 8kg in 6weeks, not too bad. Total weight loss now 27.3kg. End of year goal of 95kg now within reach! 

well done.

3kg can be easily lost in the next 6 weeks.

I hit my goal last month and have been toying with the idea of lowering my GOAL weight to 85 kg from 90kg .I have recorded a 88.6 kg during this month but that was after a good ride on a hot day .. If i lower my goal during the challenge and don't achieve it but still end up on a lower weight than my original goal will it still allow me to stay at the top of the log . 

I hit my goal last month and have been toying with the idea of lowering my GOAL weight to 85 kg from 90kg .I have recorded a 88.6 kg during this month but that was after a good ride on a hot day .. If i lower my goal during the challenge and don't achieve it but still end up on a lower weight than my original goal will it still allow me to stay at the top of the log . 

Nice job!!

Yeah it should keep you on top. Surely the leader will be the one with the most percentage lost. If you lower your target that won't have an effect on this.

But.... I'm coming for your lead hehehe

Looking back at my weigh-ins I can't believe I let it slip so bad for a few months this winter! I could've been sub 90kg by now!

Nice job!!

Yeah it should keep you on top. Surely the leader will be the one with the most percentage lost. If you lower your target that won't have an effect on this.

But.... I'm coming for your lead hehehe

Looking back at my weigh-ins I can't believe I let it slip so bad for a few months this winter! I could've been sub 90kg by now!

I love a fair challenge . 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a good month training and had set my goal at clocking my first 1000km month . On Wednesday just before going training i see my neighbor drive into his garden and i decide to go have a chat with and i ride into his garden on my bike . As i get in and dismount his jack russell bites me in my calf . I feed that dog when they are away , i go into his garden many times a month to chat . The dog obviously does not like bicycles HAHA . Needless to say i did not get to train since wednesday so missed my goal by 135km . My weight loss was again on target and i was down to 88,6kg . My eating routine has not changed  much but i have cut down on my sugar and milk intake and only use a level spoon sugar in my oats and tea/coffee and make my oats with water and not milk . My only vice at night while on the computer is a cup of coffee ( made with milk ) and a slice of brown bread with peanut butter. ( Our internet provider is down so cant provide pics of dog bite and scale , will attach later )

post-111826-0-48784600-1543571358_thumb.jpg

post-111826-0-93257900-1543571389_thumb.jpg

Edited by FirstV8

Well done V8! I think bragging rights will stay with you this year..

I also had a good month. Down to 95.6kg.

Have now been counting calories and cycling daily since the start of October and lost a total of 10.2kg since then.

Total weight loss now 29.5kg.

Last little push left to reach that 30kg goal..

Well done V8! I think bragging rights will stay with you this year..

I also had a good month. Down to 95.6kg.

Have now been counting calories and cycling daily since the start of October and lost a total of 10.2kg since then.

Total weight loss now 29.5kg.

Last little push left to reach that 30kg goal..

Thanks but we still have to get through december .Well done on your achievement . The last half kilogram is always a great milestone to achieve , keep at it . My total weight loss since starting cycling again is 36.4 kg . I think im being a bit too ambitious by trying to get to 85 kg before year end . 

Edited by FirstV8

Well done gents !

Thanks but we still have to get through december .Well done on your achievement . The last half kilogram is always a great milestone to achieve , keep at it . My total weight loss since starting cycling again is 36.4 kg . I think im being a bit too ambitious by trying to get to 85 kg before year end

4 kg in a month is possible, but with it being December and haveing all the nice food in your face will make it a real challenge.

I already have a problem... going to a game lodge 13-16 Dec, 3 meals, snacks and and all provided. So i'll have to work extra hard these next 2 weeks.