650+ which one to choose? Trek vs specialized vs titan

Rafeeq Ebrahim

Hi Hubbers. I'm Looking to move from a very entry level 16 kg 29er to a 650b+ in order to gain for confidence on technical descents. So far I've narrowed it down to the 2018 Trek roscoe 8, 2016 specialized fuse, and drum roll..... The 2017 titan elite (for cost purposes and functionality it makes the option list). Please see links below and advise which would be the best value for money.

Trek - R 18 500

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/roscoe/roscoe-8/p/2044600-2018/

Specialized - looking to match price of roscoe 8

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/fuse-comp-6fattie/p/107166

Titan 14 000, trying to get a better price.

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/titan-elite-27-5-plus

I ride the Fuse and its a Riot for sure... 

I would buy the Roscoe. 

The low end Spez is too much a price point bike, had to replace the rear hub, the fork already needs work and the headset is toast in less than a year. 

The Roscoe is specced better from the start IMO. 

Thanks that puts the roscoe ahead then, seeing as the fuse retail price is actually 23 000. Also 2018 tech vs. 2016. And the extra 4k is worth it over the titan?

Thanks that puts the roscoe ahead then, seeing as the fuse retail price is actually 23 000. Also 2018 tech vs. 2016. And the extra 4k is worth it over the titan?

I've never seen the Titan so I cant comment on that. 

Something to consider from my experience of late...

Currently riding a Spez Stumpie 6fattie (running 29er as well). The 3.0 6fatties are awesome and inspire confidence. The biggest complaint is bb height when runing the fatties. Softer tiers drop the bb height from 33.8cm (29er mode) to 33cm and pedal strikes occur. The Fuse is sitting at 30.5 which is pretty low. The Roscoe is 31.8cm; the 1.3cm advantage could go a long way in removing the frustration of pedal strikes (which is all dependant on terrain, pedalling technique etc.)

Something to consider from my experience of late...

Currently riding a Spez Stumpie 6fattie (running 29er as well). The 3.0 6fatties are awesome and inspire confidence. The biggest complaint is bb height when runing the fatties. Softer tiers drop the bb height from 33.8cm (29er mode) to 33cm and pedal strikes occur. The Fuse is sitting at 30.5 which is pretty low. The Roscoe is 31.8cm; the 1.3cm advantage could go a long way in removing the frustration of pedal strikes (which is all dependant on terrain, pedalling technique etc.)

This isnt an issue on the hard tail Fuse, i know the dual suss fatties struggle with BB height. 

Good point though.

Trek for sure. The Spez is overpriced for what you get. The Titan is, well a Titan.

Only thing to keep in mind with the trek is the new axle standard - Boost QR which I think is 141mm wide. You will only be able tp replace the huns with Trek hubs. If that puts you off then rather buy yourself a Cotic Solaris Max frame, and do a custome build - it will end up being a much much better bike than any of the 3 you mentioned.

For 23k go for a good spec seconhand bike Scott or a superfly value for money not paying for someones shop rentals

Archived