Bike Hub Commuters Challenge 2018

Bateleur1

I normally use my "road bike" it is a Trek Crossrip which intended for commuting so better geometry (sit higher in front) disc brakes, ALU frame and 35c tyres....Lights on bike and helmet, bright shoes + socks help. Works a treat!

I have found that riding just inside the lane mostly - not on the extreme left - cars seem to give me a bit more space and taxi's have space to drive in "their lane" the yellow lane. If riding on the extreme left then you have very little space to move further left unless you go off road and that is not always an option - even on an MTB.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 70% of my 35km commute to work is either cycle lane or rural back roads with hardly any traffic.  So road bike is not a problem for me.

About 70% of my 35km commute to work is either cycle lane or rural back roads with hardly any traffic.  So road bike is not a problem for me.

You also don't have to deal with south african motorists.............

Luckily not.  But you still got to be sharp.  There are other "things" to watch out for.  Some of these rural roads are single lane roads that wind through forests.  So you need to stay awake or you could end up on the front windscreen of a car.

I bought a Kona Unit Rigid SS when I arrived in Auckland - love the bike. Still has knobbies on, but will replace them with something more suitable for the road.

I like the idea of carrying a spare tube rather than going tubeless on the commuter. so far had one puncture in the 8 weeks that I have been commuting.

I think a SS is ideal for commuting unless you have very far to go and need the extra speed that gears can give you.

Motorists will stay motorists no matter where you are. Sometimes I get the feeling they try to see how close they can come before I abandon the road for the sidewalk.

Ok. Strava group created.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/333040/leaderboard

Endomondo is the official site for this challange.

Strava is a add on until they wake up one day with creating custom challanges.  The advantage of Strava is that we can see on a week to week basis who has logged the most miles and climb the most.  This could spice up the challange.

Does the club only log commutes of the members or all their rides?

What bikes are you guys commuting on?

Reason I am asking is I use the MTB so I can transition between pavement/road/dirt, but ideally the road bike would make more sense speed wise, just slightly worried about cars. 

mtb

I like the idea of carrying a spare tube rather than going tubeless on the commuter. so far had one puncture in the 8 weeks that I have been commuting.

Why don't you ride tubeless and carry a spare tube? 

I have been commuting for over a year with no puncture issues. 

Motorists will stay motorists no matter where you are. Sometimes I get the feeling they try to see how close they can come before I abandon the road for the sidewalk.

True, but the frequencies of occurences are hugely different.

Hi all. Just joined the strava group. I only have 1 bike for now, my Momsen AL329 hardtail. Use it to commute and race over weekends. Planning on building a gravel grinder during the year as I have 8km of gravel to get to the nearest tarr road.

Hi all. Just joined the strava group. I only have 1 bike for now, my Momsen AL329 hardtail. Use it to commute and race over weekends. Planning on building a gravel grinder during the year as I have 8km of gravel to get to the nearest tarr road.

Welcome.  Just remember to join the Endomondo group for the official challange. Other than that enjoy the commutes.  Where in Limpopo are you?

Well thanks to global warming I will be logging my first miles tonight.  It is fairly warm at the moment and commuted today to work.  First 70 will be on the log tonight  :clap: .  Tommorow even warmer but it will propably be a sufferfest.  After a long layoff with a Christmas in between I have enough energy stored to help me ride to Cape Town.

Well thanks to global warming

Thanks to global warming, I may melt on the way home in this heat.

Predicted high of 35C for Midrand today.

Thanks to global warming, I may melt on the way home in this heat.

Predicted high of 35C for Midrand today.

Yup, definitely not looking fwd to the ride home this arvie. It's gonna cook!

Archived