2018 Vuelta a España

Bonus

This Saturday, 13th of January, Unipublic revealed the official route of La Vuelta 2018, that will take place between the 25th of August and the 16th of September. The Spanish tour will depart from the Pompidou Centre in Malaga, in another clear example of the organisation's aim to combine sports, culture and innovative departures. . . . .

Details to follow.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Saturday, 13th of January, Unipublic revealed the official route of La Vuelta 2018, that will take place between the 25th of August and the 16th of September. The Spanish tour will depart from the Pompidou Centre in Malaga, in another clear example of the organisation's aim to combine sports, culture and innovative departures. . . . .

Details to follow.

DID I see right 8 mtn top finishes?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

LA VUELTA 2018

Running from Saturday August 25th to Sunday September 16th 2018, the Vuelta will be made up of 21 stages and will cover a total distance of 3,271.4 kilometres.

6 flat stages and 2 flat with high-altitude finales stages

6 hill stages

5 mountain stages

2 individual time trial stages

Distinctive aspects of the race:

40.7 km individual time trial

46 summits

2 rest days

• 6 months later...

With the WC course not suited for the pure sprinters and many of them had to bail during the TDF or didn't go to the TDF we may see a nice stacked sprint field at the Vuelta... shame they just have to work really hard getting to all the sprint stages.. Vuelta is tough on the sprintets

With the WC course not suited for the pure sprinters and many of them had to bail during the TDF or didn't go to the TDF we may see a nice stacked sprint field at the Vuelta... shame they just have to work really hard getting to all the sprint stages.. Vuelta is tough on the sprintets

It's not been a sprinters year. I hope that they don't carry on that trend as sprint stages can be 'boring' to the casual watcher but it's an art form in itself. Yes the opening week used to be a tradition of prologue or TTT and then 4 or 5 days to ease everyone in so got repetitive but they shouldn't be tacked on the end of an easy / recovery day for the main GC riders because al that does is ensures a very boring procession. Now they are mixing up the first week of the Tour it makes it tough. I remember an interview with Cav' who said the sprinters would be decimated with the the time cuts as they stood on the key stages and so it proved. 

Can't way for the Vuelta, I thought Le Tour was an pretty standard fair. The first 9 days were pretty good then it never really fired up. The Giro was outstanding and I'm hoping for a great Vuelta. With the amount of good riders who dropped out of the Tour as well as talk of GT going to Spain it could be great. Personally I was hoping that they would give Bernal a go there if he isn't totally shattered. 

Maybe Chris F should just target the Vuelta instead ! :clap:

Imagine if Sky pull this one out of the bag and hold all 3 GTs. 

Imagine if Sky pull this one out of the bag and hold all 3 GTs. 

Not sure what ace they have up their sleeve to play at la Vuelta. no doubt Brailsford has an idea though

hah!! just by looking at the route and profiles my fitness went UP!!

after the sprinter fiasco that we've just seen, I can see too many sprinters licking their chops at anything Spanish anytime soon...

Not sure what ace they have up their sleeve to play at la Vuelta. no doubt Brailsford has an idea though

hah!! just by looking at the route and profiles my fitness went UP!!

after the sprinter fiasco that we've just seen, I can see too many sprinters licking their chops at anything Spanish anytime soon...

Ja the Vuelta isn't a sprinters joy never is.. damn tough race.. but a few guys need to justify their salaries.

It's not been a sprinters year. I hope that they don't carry on that trend as sprint stages can be 'boring' to the casual watcher but it's an art form in itself. Yes the opening week used to be a tradition of prologue or TTT and then 4 or 5 days to ease everyone in so got repetitive but they shouldn't be tacked on the end of an easy / recovery day for the main GC riders because al that does is ensures a very boring procession. Now they are mixing up the first week of the Tour it makes it tough. I remember an interview with Cav' who said the sprinters would be decimated with the the time cuts as they stood on the key stages and so it proved.

Can't way for the Vuelta, I thought Le Tour was an pretty standard fair. The first 9 days were pretty good then it never really fired up. The Giro was outstanding and I'm hoping for a great Vuelta. With the amount of good riders who dropped out of the Tour as well as talk of GT going to Spain it could be great. Personally I was hoping that they would give Bernal a go there if he isn't totally shattered.

Vuelta used to be the GT teams introduced their youngster to GT racing.. it has changed a bit over the last 5-6 yrs.. sure there were always a few big names who either skipped the TDF or made an early exit.

Sky must be very careful how they develop Bernal.. he is only 21.. we don't want to see another Nairo situation.

Ja the Vuelta isn't a sprinters joy never is.. damn tough race.. but a few guys need to justify their salaries.

ja, but....the tough stages get going right after the prolougue! let's have a cat3 mountain climb finish first up!

post-1830-0-02485300-1532957555_thumb.png

Vuelta used to be the GT teams introduced their youngster to GT racing.. it has changed a bit over the last 5-6 yrs.. sure there were always a few big names who either skipped the TDF or made an early exit.

Sky must be very careful how they develop Bernal.. he is only 21.. we don't want to see another Nairo situation.

Making it stupid tough recently has taken the blooding angle for young riders out of it in the last few years which is a bit of a shame. I remember when it was the 1st GT of the year and was a very different beast and riders like Kelly could win the thing. Now it seems to be a last chance hotel for a lot of riders / teams to get something out of the year and the climbers GT. I wonder which sprinters will think they have legs to get through some of this year stages. 

With the number of GT riders out of the Tour hopefully it should be cracking edition. 

Sky should let Bernal go and just ride and see what happens but that isn't going to happen. They don't free form. They might throw in lil' King Kenny E, Lopez, either of the Henao's but I can't see a GT leader there besides sending Gee and he won't win.

With Nairo, I'm not sure. He's still only 28. I say 'only' as Froome was 27 when he won his first, Gee is 32, Nibbles won at 29 and he's already 2 GT winner with only 7 riders ever to take a win in all 3 so I think peoples disappointment in him is a bit knee jerk. I think the expectation for le tour was the issue as well as that silly push for the double. I never really thought NQ was prime material for July. Vuelta is home territory and so important for Movistar, the climbs in the Giro / Vuelta are steeper so play to his watts / per kg advantage. Unfortunately NQ has come up against the Sky era and there is no one that has cracked that riddle and Movistar DS tactics are uninspired at best and then screw it up with the much hyped Trident. 

Archived