Spaz Camber 2018, or ?

The Ghost

What about the Cannondales?

Im sirting with the same dilemma, looking at bikes to buy. I have an Epic and races like a demon. And then a 650fatty Fuze, which my 11yr old daughter stole from me.

What i dont like about the Scott is the after service. I had the Scott910 bfore, went through 4 frames, and on the 5th i sold it as is, brand new from the uppliers. And every time it was weeks of waiting and fighting. So i dont know how their service is now a days.

Spez i broke 2 x frames, but no questions asked, i got a loan bike, and by the folllowing week, i had my new frame and rebuild.

But nobody is asking/talking about the Cannondale. Is it not worth the trails or so? A friend of mine said its also quite good.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Late last year I thought that I would upgrade my 2016 Camber Comp to a 2017 Camber Comp Carbon as they had them on special for +-R42k. Ended up getting a Trek Fuel EX8, also on sale, for slightly less. Even though the EX has an Alu frame it’s way better specced than the Spez. Also has nice little features like ABP, boost wheels, knoc bloc etc. I loved my Camber but the Trek is better in my opinion.

I've been looking at similar bikes - 29er, with about 120mm - 130mm travel, and the various Camber models (on paper) look good for the price. The really nice bikes are madly priced:

Pivot Mach 429 Trail - expensive

Santa Cruz Tallboy or Hightower - very expensive

The Yeti SB4.5 and the Ibis Ripley - wildly expensive

Back at the ranch, the bike I'd love is the Salsa Horsethief, but finding one is like hen's teeth, and then the price might give me a heart attack!

So - Camber, Scott Spark, Momsen Trail are options. Haven't really thought of Trek - their website is terribly un-user-friendly! Cannondale - haven't found quite the right bike with the right travel. 

When did Specialized become the 'affordable' option?!

Edited by Desi

Any comments on whether the Carbon is worth the extra R20k?

That's a very personal choice. For me - yes. I like the added stiffness, lighter weight, and SWAT box (not available in alu version), and to be honest - I like to say I have a carbon bike :) Does it make me faster? Probably not...

The internal SWAT box and dropper on the Carbon come in handy.

Carbon is definitely worth the extra bit of tom.

Hey folks,

I'm considering a new bike and the Camber range has my attention at the moment, specifically the Comp and the Comp Carbon.

My first questions are Is the Carbon worth 20k extra, and do I go 1x or 2x?

Next up is what other brands and models should I be looking at?

Mostly XC type riding, but I don't want something like the Epic, its a bit aggressive for my comfort.

Thanks

If I were out shopping for a new trail orientated bike with a R50k budget, I would be looking for approx 120mm travel, dropper seatpost, modern trail geometry and specs (boost) and the best value for money build.

My list would include the Camber Carbon Comp, Scott Spark 930 (would try and stretch for the 920) and the Trek Fuel EX 8.

Despite the carbon frame and SWAT box, the Camber would fall to the bottom of the list quite quickly because of the RS Reba fork and low end brakes and gear specification and non boost wheels.

This would leave the Scott and Trek to battle it out and might come down to the Trek because it has the Eagle gruppo, wide rims and a less complicated dropper seatpost/suspension lockout system.

Just for reference, I currently ride an 2016 alu camber with 1x11 XT and a dropper seatpost

Edited by splat

The extra R20k gets you the carbon frame with SWAT box and a dropper seatpost. I think that everything else is the same.

My mate has been lusting after that for a year and finally swapped his alu camber for a used carbon one with dropper and 1x11. Very chuffed, but it didn't cost him R20k.

Geometry might come into play for you. The Camber isn't quite so long and low by modern standards. It actually doesn't suit my long body and short legs very well.

post-615-0-87893500-1516260774_thumb.jpg

Edited by splat

The extra R20k gets you the carbon frame with SWAT box and a dropper seatpost. I think that everything else is the same.

My mate has been lusting after that for a year and finally swapped his alu camber for a used carbon one with dropper and 1x11. Very chuffed, but it didn't cost him R20k.

Geometry might come into play for you. The Camber isn't quite so long and low by modern standards. It actually doesn't suit my long body and short legs very well.

One thing that attracts me to it is that it seems a bit shorter which I prefer.

Are you set on a new bike or are you open to second hand and if so what size?

Im not married to the idea of a new bike, but I do prefer it.

Most likely a Medium

First up, I am a loyal Spez fan due to one main reason. No matter where you find yourself, the Spez shops have the best service bar none in SA. They are the most accommodating and passionate brand ambassadors.

I have ridden a 2013 Camber Comp carbon frame for the last 5 years and have just recently upgraded to the Expert 2018. I doubt if I would ever consider another brand purely based on my customer experience.

So yes. Worth every cents of the extra R20K. There is really nothing wrong with the brakes or the Reba shock, unless you are a podium contender!!

What about the Cannondales?

Im sirting with the same dilemma, looking at bikes to buy. I have an Epic and races like a demon. And then a 650fatty Fuze, which my 11yr old daughter stole from me.

What i dont like about the Scott is the after service. I had the Scott910 bfore, went through 4 frames, and on the 5th i sold it as is, brand new from the uppliers. And every time it was weeks of waiting and fighting. So i dont know how their service is now a days.

Spez i broke 2 x frames, but no questions asked, i got a loan bike, and by the folllowing week, i had my new frame and rebuild.

But nobody is asking/talking about the Cannondale. Is it not worth the trails or so? A friend of mine said its also quite good.

Wondering the same here? What about Cannondale Scalpel with Reverb dropper? Guys claim the Scalpel is more comfortable than Epic. So perhaps a better fit to your question if you aim for XC + stage racing.

My partner did J2C on Camber and had no issues. The dropper set us apart on downhills though (I'm on Epic)

Tested the Spaz ropper post in 2017 and didnt like trigger mechanism. Far more prefer Reverb plus their after sale service.

On Scalpel you get less travel, but superior shock, racier geometry. Havent looked at spec of components, but you get complete bike excl dropper for R55k

Im not married to the idea of a new bike, but I do prefer it.

Most likely a Medium

Well if you keen I can put you in touch with someone who is selling a very nice SC Tallboy 2 CC with Fox Factory suspension and XT 1x11. :whistling:

Edit: oh and carbon hoops!!!

Edited by Spoke101

Well if you keen I can put you in touch with someone who is selling a very nice SC Tallboy 2 CC with Fox Factory suspension and XT 1x11. :whistling:

Edit: oh and carbon hoops!!!

For ten meelion dolla