Spaz Camber 2018, or ?

The Ghost

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean Meh-rida?

Haha - that's what I'm trying to figure out... they sort of just don't feature, and I thought maybe I just had an unfair and unfounded meh opinion of them.

The Merida brand is not a bad quality bike. I've had a few and touch wood ... never had any issues with frames or wheels cracking/breaking or any major mechanical problems. I just think in my opinion they just not marketed well in SA compared to the other big brands.

Thanks, Yeah, I think I'll wait until I break them (if I do) before replacing them.

I hear you on the new model thing, I asked at the shop and the guy said that they do suspect a new model is on for next year, but I don't want to wait a year to get a bike so its a bit of a shite situation there, but I recon as long as I enjoy the ride it doesn't matter what year model it is.

Yes I'm thinking out loud as someone who already has a bike I would rather wait a few months for the new model if I were upgrading . But if you don't have a bike it is not possible to wait.

Check out the 2018 Epic Comp....its been revamped to include the new brain, boost hubs, slacker head angle, and already has through body for eagle upgrade.

Cannondale Scalpel SI - Change the rear shock to a 115mm Fox and change the Lefty to a 120mm Lefty - All done by Cannondale - Love it every day ! 11.1Kg :)

Check out the 2018 Epic Comp....its been revamped to include the new brain, boost hubs, slacker head angle, and already has through body for eagle upgrade.

Thanks, but I usually feel too stretched out on XC bikes. Edited by The Ghost

So here’s the deal.

The Camber has the geometry that feels most comfortable and works okay with my issues, the Spark 920 like more XC bikes just doesn’t. The Camber is due for a change, that change may be better but may also be worse for me (geometry), that’s life; no guarantees.

The spark has the shock and boost hubs that I’d prefer, but if I’m not going to ride it because of the comfort then it’s irrelevant.

I can get the same fork (without boost) for another R19k, but I just can’t justify that me thinks.

Have you ridden the Scott?

Just looking at the specs, the geometry isn't very different from the Camber (the Sparks are more towards trail bike geometry and the Spark RC is full blown XC racer)

Have you ridden the Scott?

Just looking at the specs, the geometry isn't very different from the Camber (the Sparks are more towards trail bike geometry and the Spark RC is full blown XC racer)

I have had a little trundle on it (more would have been better) but I'm pretty convinced that it isn't for me. It felt more like I was on the bike rather than in the bike like I feel on the Camber (hope that makes sense), and felt like I was a lot further forward at the hands.

I know that stems etc can be changed, but I have been down that road with another bike and never won.

Looking at the top tube and reach differences on paper I can see what I was feeling.

And when I went for the BG Fit (lite) they still had to raise the stem for me because of my screwed neck, even with the shorter tube and reach.

Edited by The Ghost

Please let us know what you finally choose.

Hey Desi,

The Camber has won.

As I mentioned, the Scott had the nicer shock and the boost wheels etc, but the fit just didn't work for me.

I opted for the Camber Comp Carbon with a 1 x 12 GX eagle upgrade and an elliptical / oval 32T chain ring.

I guess the best advice I can give you is to try them as much as possible as the best spec on paper doesn't mean its going to be the best option for you.

Hey Desi,

The Camber has won.

As I mentioned, the Scott had the nicer shock and the boost wheels etc, but the fit just didn't work for me.

I opted for the Camber Comp Carbon with a 1 x 12 GX eagle upgrade and an elliptical / oval 32T chain ring.

I guess the best advice I can give you is to try them as much as possible as the best spec on paper doesn't mean its going to be the best option for you.

Sounds great!

Congratulations!

If you have any spare $$ over, get a set of American Classic Wide Lightnings from CWC for R6300 and shave 500g off your new bike. 

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/american-classic-wide-lightning-29er-wheelset